Escape to the Movies: Special: Bond Girls

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Special: Bond Girls

Today MovieBob takes a special look at the women of James Bond.

Watch Video

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
You aren't moving to Tuesday, are you?

Anyways, Halle Berry was the WORST Bond girl, imo.

groundedcrow

Sep 30, 2008
Feminism
Then: "Ooooh..."
Now: "AUGH!!!"
In all seriousness I thought Peirce made a good James Bond, but I really don't have any right to say as those are the only ones I've seen.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
ah sex appeal, history lessons and humor, movie bob at his best.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
A surprise history lesson, and on a Tuesday! Makes me want to watch some James Bond now...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
That was actually a very good history lesson on James Bond. I learned a lot of interesting things.

Now I fell like watching some of the old movies.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
G Theriault said:
Sean Connery IS James Bond.
I think Brosnan was second best.
I think Roger Moore was third best. Also Brosnan is only second due to Goldeneye. Gosh I'm quoting you a lot today...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
You touched on the reason I don't understand why people actually liked Quantum of Solace. James Bond is supposed to save the world; in QoS, he saves the planet. Damn green movement.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
Great look at things. I cant really think of anything to say I more or less agreed with everything you said. So thank you for a great look back at how the Bond girl played a much more serious role in the movies then I ever could have imagined.

Fretbuzz

Feb 16, 2010
First time poster! In fact, I registered just to post this.

MovieBob, I enjoyed this video immensely. I found it easily to be the most interesting Escape to the Movies yet, and that's coming from someone who always enjoys the hell out of them. I'd like to encourage you to try side projects like this more often. Just the medicine for a slow week at the movies!

aLibrarianOfSorts

Jan 18, 2010
I think the summary of Feminism in this is waaaay to simplistic. Feminism has never been a single-minded, unified movement and any contradictions that seem to occur in feminist ideology largely stem from the fact that feminism is as fragmented as any social movement. The ideas that reach a mainstream audience will be those of the movements most vocal members, not necessarily those of the majority. Besides, the 'sexual liberation' of the Bond Girls has been problematic from the beginning, as are most portrayals of women's sexuality in the media. Why are they problematic? Because for the most part, they are portrayals that are crafted to specifically appeal to the stereotypical hetero male. This is largely why many feminists have a problem with the idea of the Bond Girl. The Bond Girl is not about presenting a liberated, healthy role-model for women. She is, rather, a set of instructions on how to best please a man. Even the name 'Bond Girl' suggests a general lack of respect for the authority and autonomy of women; these are adult women, and yet we call them girls. Please do more research next time, Movie Bob.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Wow...I'm actually surprised to learn that the feminist movement was ever in favor of the Bond girl mythos. How very edifying, Bob, thank you. :)

For me, to be a true Bond girl, you have to have a silly name. Not as silly as Christmas Jones, mind you, but silly.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
huh interesting discussion bob, didn't really think about all this but now that you outlined the history of bond and bond girls i can see your point

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
As a woman, I really enjoyed your commentary, MovieBob!

It was fair, balanced, insightful & informative. Good work!

Now, when are we going to get a FEMALE bond character this isn't played as a big joke?

Leslee