Escape to the Movies: Spring Breakers

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Ferisar said:
sageoftruth said:
Before you reach for your ticket money, remember that this movie makes no attempts to criticize the things the characters do. That will be your job. As Bob said, young teenagers will probably watch this and come out thinking, "Wow! Those characters are awesome. I wish I was like that." It's pretty heavy stuff if you're disillusioned with this mindset, and you will probably leave feeling depressed and disappointed with society. My main point is, you probably shouldn't go to see this if you're looking to enjoy the experience.

Like a number of art films (particularly Melancholia for me, ugh!) the objective is to make you ponder rather than to make you feel good. Honestly, like most modern art, I'm not sure if there's really a way to set this apart from the movies that genuinely do try to cash in on teenage naivety, since the main difference is whatever the director was thinking when he made it.
I really wish I could've thought of saying this somehow. I kept wandering back and forth in this thread thinking about what would make sense when bringing up that the movie isn't a piece about consequence, but you pretty much "ten steps ahead'd" the whole thing.

Kudos.
Wow! Thanks. I was already having doubts about labeling it as an art film. Much appreciated.

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Fun fact: The New York Times gave this film a perfect rating.
If the world's poshest magazine can find no flaws in a movie about a bunch of Y-gen girls getting into trouble at the world's most unorthodox party, maybe Spring Breakers did something right.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This movie sounds flat out depressing, like The Laramie Project except not based on a true story. I may watch it once, but any more than that and whatever message it's trying to get across would be lost.

Toxtle

Nov 10, 2011
Funny enough this is exactly what I expected. After hearing nothing about the plot I just googled the director. Seeing he was one of those artsy types, The actresses talking about how they want to be taken more seriously, and James franco being in it and having a pretty good track record on choosing projects (I didn't even know there was hate for him until Bob kept saying it) just gave me this feeling it was a surprise gem.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Is that me or bob spent five minute telling us it was great, but never actually explain why its great?

Daeggreth

Oct 22, 2009
TwikTwok said:
For the curious here is video exploring Harmony Korine, specifically his 2009 film: Trash Humpers.

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-trash-humpers-4678636

For anyone considering going to see Spring Breakers I urge you to watch this so you know what kind of film maker you're dealing with.
Oh God. Even that (mostly) secondary exposure to Trash Humpers makes me want to NEVER see a Korine film.
*shudders*
I've seen a lot of things I wish I hadn't thanks to the internet. This firmly falls into the brain bleach category.
Kind of a shame too because up until this point Spring Breakers sounded at least a little intriguing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
What is the obsessino with Spring break? theo whole culture of spring break is some sort of abomination that should not even exist. and now they make mvoies gloryfying it....

Seriuosly, bob, you have a lot of knowledge, btu when it comes to comedies you just cant be trusted.

don_geilo

Aug 30, 2010
There is nothing that could possibly make me want to avoid watching or attending a movie or event more than the promise that it is going to be "important" or "defining" for my generation.
The significance of a work of art to the people it depicts and by the extension the cultural traction it will find is not something that can be permeditated, if it's statements are as broad and sweeping as any attempt to analyze a whole generation's condition must be.

On a more personal note, although I never much identified with this "Generation Y" I am apparantly a part of, I really don't think I need some patronizing Gen Xer like Korine to explain to me what is right and wrong with me and my peers. Especially since said Gen Xer was also the writer of the cringeinducingly chummy-yet-condescending "Kids", a movie which missed the point of the subculture it was trying to depict so spectacularly that it is almost on par with 50s PSAs in it's moralizing datedness.

I suspect, that if there ever emerges a movie that can be generally considered a "defining film" of the Generation Y (and there probably will be, since there has been at least one for every generation of the last 60 years), it will probably be written and directed by members of that geneneration.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, Stoker came out at my art house/local theater down the road from me. I'll go see that. I have a feeling I'm not the right mind set for something like this.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
If I had an opinion on this movie (before even watching it) as strong as some of the people on this thread (be it positive or negative), I would definitely go see it.

Art is meant to be provocative/evocative.

I mean I think Picasso's Guernica is an awful pile of wank but it does upset me a little (Provocative) thus I would (begrudgingly) have to label it as art.

Monet's water lilies actually made me cry when I first looked at them IRL they were so beautiful.

Also Art.

However I haven't seen it either so what the fuck do I know?

But the simple fact it is drawing such attention to itself I am finding interesting.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Ah, generation Y. The generation I supposedly should be a part of. But refuse to be tainted by any form of it's substance (aside from the cartoons because well, they rock mostly) as far as it goes, this film is coming out 10 years too late. Why Korine decided to bring this to the table I will never know. But I won't care either.

How can one make a film that should supposedly have any depth and complexity when it's about a character (Franco) who thinks he is the illegitimate son of Marshall Bruce Mathers the III. Like many kids in those days were. Norman Mailer would crank one out if he would see James Franco's character.

But the candy wrapped just-out-of-high-school girls like Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashly Benson are a big stay-the-fuck-away hanging sign over it. No Bob, you are suffering (again) from the Sucker Punch syndrome. Looking for substance where there is not. I am looking forward to your 3 part explanation in the Big Picture where you still think it's a good film and people still will say no against it. And for those who think this film goes right over the head over everyone: then you are right. Even the top critics at RT don't get it. *coughs*

Archer666

May 27, 2011
It's funny because according to the director himself, there is no deeper meaning to this movie. The guy just shot a movie.

"I never wanted to know why I did anything," Korine says. "I have no desire for any type of introspection at all. I don't ever ask myself any questions. I don't want answers."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9076778/harmony-korine-riff-raff-james-franco-making-spring-breakers

I'm gonna see it since I read somewhere that its kinda like Hotline Miami in some way. The choice of soundtrack and the visuals make that comparison seem valid.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Interesting, might actually give it a look see.

I also find it funny how many people are dismissing the movie without even seeing it because of their own hang ups about dubstep and anybody that has the audacity to enjoy partying and drinking, THE HORROR. Everyone should be into MLP and being alone.

Anyways, thanks Bob.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Urh said:
Even if this movie has as much substance and depth as Bob says it does, I suspect that it will go right over the heads of most of the movie's target audience.
Which might very well mean that everyone loves it, for vastly varying reasons. Those mythical "generation Y" kids love it for exactly what they perceive it is: a movie about barely-legals on spring break, while the slightly older audience likes it for its social commentary.

That right there, is filmmaking genius.

Doesn't mean though I'll be watching it anytime soon. Maybe later, probably never.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I have a feeling that Bob is reading too much into this movie, seeing substance where there is none as he did in the Sucker Punch review. I definitely won't be seeing it at the cinema, but I might pick it up later. Also, the fact that there are ponies in it came as a bit of a surprise, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. Its presence has become too large to ignore.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Redem said:
Is that me or bob spent five minute telling us it was great, but never actually explain why its great?
He did thought, liked because it's trash but unapologetic about being trash even tough fully conscious of it and because the characters are dumb enough to truly believe the "MTV american dream".

I think this reasons are terribly dull, but seeing how involved Bob is with pop american culture (and has a weakness of sorts for kitsch aesthetics) I can see how it would be attractive to him.