Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
This is exactly the kind of action movie marketed to women like me that makes me wish people would stop marketing action movies marketed to women like me. Every girl is some radiculously over-testosteroned whiney action girl. It's degrading.

Sep 17, 2009
Verlander said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
deth2munkies said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Edit: Yikes. It is getting destroyed by critics.
About half of good movies do.

Seeing it tonight with the buddies, should be awesome.
That is just not true. Half? Really? Can you name like 10 critically panned movies that were actually good? I don't mean mixed reviews I mean panned.

Yes professionals USED to have a problem judging a film based on its intentions, but critics these days as a whole are fantastic compared to the late 90's.

I am sure critics looked at this movie expecting a thrill ride and if it got a bad score it is probably because the movie is awful...which it is.
A film I find that gets a load of critical abuse is Oldboy, yet it's easily one of the best I've seen. I know this has little to do with your point, but your first sentence made me try to think of an example. That's obviously avoiding all of the "so bad they're good" films
Oldboy? The movie that is critically acclaimed and certified fresh on rotten tomatoes? Yea I heard that was good.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oldboy/#!reviews=top_critics

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Just got back from the theater and let me just say... WOW.

Sucker Punch absolutely blew me away. I loved the characters, the action, and of course, the eye candy. What looks on the surface to be B-rated fan-service is actually one of the most imaginative and original movies I've seen in a long time.

Also, I'm glad Bob mentioned the comparisons to Inception. On my way out of the movie, I heard two guys in front of me talking, and one of them said it was "like a Twilight version of Inception". You need to know what this movie is before you go and see it.

Nova Helix

Mar 17, 2010
This movie was TERRIBLE.

Besides the chromatography there was nothing enjoyable about it. The characters were flat, the story was boring, the acting was laughable, and it seemed like a drunkard assembled it because it was so scattered.

I don't know why people keep saying it's fan service, it was more of a crap on fan service.
Come watch me I have robots, zombies, and scantily clad girls! None of that matters if the movie is junk.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Caiti Voltaire said:
This is exactly the kind of action movie marketed to women like me that makes me wish people would stop marketing action movies marketed to women like me. Every girl is some radiculously over-testosteroned whiney action girl. It's degrading.
They weren't really all that whinny they were with low moral but who wouldn't be in that situation

SW15243

Jul 15, 2009
Singular criticism: The CGI in the movie, in spaces, has that shine on it that's just uncanny valley enough to be distracting.

Now, for what I came here for: I disagree with Bob's interpretation of the movie. Needless to say, MASSIVE PLOT SPOILERS WILL PROBABLY FOLLOW THIS. FAIRLY WARNED BE YE.

Also, bear in mind I saw the movie 20 minutes ago, and this hasn't had time to reorganize itself into something coherent. I also haven't read the comments, so it could be that someone has proposed this already.

Okay, hear me out:

The bulk of the movie takes place in the quarter second between spike-eye lobotomy start and spike-eye lobotomy end.

Babydoll is suffering from multiple personalities. Her own quote-unquote "Dominant" personality, and the four others - Amber, Sweet Pea, Rocket, and Blondie.

In my mind, Babydoll's real name is Amber (I didn't catch a name and didn't see one on the 'Female, 20' clipboard), who represents the kind of girl she was before this psychosis started. Amber, you'll notice, is largely the least depicted character in the film, delegated to a sort of passive supporting role. She's also the first thing to go after Rocket dies (explained why further down). The orderly also mentions that after a lobotomy 'she won't even remember her own name', which makes sense with the Amber part of her dying.

Blondie is where she was at immediately before being sent to the asylum, and during her initial first little while (Where she was silent at the start of the film). The scared little girl that becomes instantly willing to do anything when assured that doing so will make everything alright (As evidenced by her last line before she died).

Rocket's where she's at now, confident and assured that so long as their plan is carried out properly, everything is going to be fine for everyone. You'll notice that when this particular part of her dies, despite her best efforts, the rest start to die off too.

Sweet Pea represents an ideal. I guess if you want to get all Freudian, she'd be the superego (I think? I haven't studied psychology in forever). She's the cautious, moral part of Babydoll.

As the lobotomy and the movie progress (as the spike drives further into her brain) bits and pieces of her start to die off. Eventually, at the very end, the final nail in the coffin is Babydoll's 'death' at the hands of the High Roller.

When the doctor says that her eyes were strange, in that she wanted him to do it, it was her realization that by allowing this lobotomy to happen, the most important part of her personality (Sweet Pea) would be allowed to be at peace. She loses her awareness of her surroundings and doesn't have to suffer the torture of the asylum anymore. This is evidenced by Sweet Pea getting on the bus and driving off into the sunset past the sign that says "PARADISE Diner". Paradise for her is an escape from her surroundings, which explains why she wanted the lobotomy.

The doctors also mention that during her five days she lit a fire, stabbed an orderly, and helped another inmate escape. While that lends credence to Bob's interpretation, I feel like the deaths would have been mentioned if those had actually happened to real people. I feel like the events the doctors talk about are just manifestations of Babydoll's psychosis. You'll also notice that these events coincide with the events in which the five girls were told to 'work together to survive', in a sense that when all parts of her operated as a cohesive unit she was able to actively effect the real world around her.

Anyway...I'm really tired, and I hope that made sense. That's my take on it.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I had this pinned as a 'Must Miss', but upon watching the review I'll give it a second thought.

It's obvious after the recent female gaming Q&A that what males think appeals to and empowers women is not really in line with women's definitions. So I'd have to wonder if this film is really more than perhaps eye candy with a spin.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Fine. I'll finally see fucking Watchmen Bob. Despite my lack of interest in it's material. And then see this right after.

Are you ever going to add your older reviews, like Watchmen and Star Trek to the Escape to the Movies archive, btw?
Hallelujah... *thrust*... Hallelujah... *thrust...

jrod66

Jan 22, 2011
I saw Sucker Punch this afternoon on Bob's recommendation, and really enjoyed it.

I can totally see what he was saying about the film subverting the male gaze (take that Laura Mulvey!)... It was sort of: Thelma and Louise - meets Alice in Wonderland- meets Brazil - meets steam-powered zombie nazis. All in all a great time at the movies.

Can't wait to see what Snyder does with Superman.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
qbanknight said:
No Bob, this is not an example of a young director expressing his artistic talent in a positive way. This film is to Snyder as "Lady in the Water" was to M. Night. It's Snyder's own personal world that only makes sense to him and him alone.

The script is utterly insipid. The first 15 minutes have no dialogue and all we are treated to is a remix version of 80s songs that dealt with dreams. Now "Up" had a beginning that had no dialogue and was so emotionally resounding that it was amazing to see people NOT cry in the beginning. But nothing interesting is going on here, just Snyder's "unique" artistic style. And by "unique", I mean slowing down and speeding up every goddamn frame to make mundane activities seem interesting: close up on a key, stop, quick cut to face slow-mo, quick cut to lock speed up, etc. It's absolutely pointless and it's nothing interesting.

The characters are bland and uninteresting. I cannot fathom how you saw ANY character in these girls. These girls were just archetypes: the shy but free-spirit, the hard-knock life chick, the flirt, the screw up, and the...I don't know what to call Vanessa Hudgens since she has less than 15 lines in the whole damn movie. Joe Hamm is totally wasted, he is constantly demonized as the "High Roller" throughout the movie but he doesn't say a word of dialogue until the last 5 minutes in the movie. The "Wise Man" giving the girls instructions says so many off-the-wall-completely-unrelated quips (like "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything") that my audience was laughing in the screening we got. They would make a fortune cookie say, "what the hell are you talking about?!"

This is style over substance and yes, pandering, Bob. You are claiming critics are dismissing it as such. And they are totally right, because there is nothing empowering about these girls fighting when we are treated to so many crotch shots of their panties when they fight.

People, rent this movie. Don't bother catching this theaters. That way, you can at least fast forward to the cool sequences and stop it all when the last dream is done.

Now I'm looking to Superman with a sad, sad face.
Somebody's been listening to Spill Crew...

But, from what I've seen and heard about it, I can't say I disagree. It does look an awful lot like pandering that Bob was trying to justify through finding deeper meanings that probably aren't there. Reminds me of a certain scene in South Park:

South Park [http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/267363/no-deeper-meaning]

FrioJenkins

Apr 1, 2010
I was saddened when a few of my friends and I go early to get good seats, and what do we find? We find a theater with six people inside 5 minutes before the movie starts...
Not very well received because people have closed mindedness.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Honestly, even if this movie was an atrocity plot-wise, it would still be fucking awesome. From what little I've seen of it, it looks like it has all the insane maximalism and why-the-hell not badassery that is just so damn fun to watch, even if it's not all that intelligent. And if, in this case, it is, it's just shot up to the top of my list.

Giolon

Mar 31, 2009
Well, I just got back from seeing it. I didn't love it as much as I hoped to, but I didn't hate it either. I can see why 80% of critics gave it a poor review - the movie runs almost entirely on Video Game Logic?. Being a gamer, I was entirely ok with that. The overall story's not hard to follow - just the action sequences don't run on real world logic. My biggest problem with the movie was probably that it was actually pretty depressing.

I greatly enjoyed all the action scenes, and my only real disappointment was that Sweat Pea never once used her sword. The girls all looked great, and the imagery was fantastic.

Overall, if I had to give the movie a grade, I'd give it a C+.

Zookz

Jun 8, 2010
I have to say, after watching it, the vibe I get from Sucker Punch is the same I get from Duke Nukem Forever; by that, I mean that I generally enjoyed the film and had a lot of fun with it, but feel a bit ashamed about liking it simply because of all the immature things it does.

Though, I like movies that deal with the psyche (SW15243 summed up my ideas about it pretty well; those sort of things interest me), so I'm likely bias on liking it for that, but I had fun with the movie despite the pandering.

Personally, I think the majority of criticism about the film comes from the pandering and general pacing/repetitive nature of the film (as mentioned above me, it works kind of like a game). I honestly thought about this film about as much as Inception; it's just the chicks-in-skirts-shooting-dragons put people into that crowd of "Shameless, immature, and down-right insulting" category of feelings when walking away from the film.

Sixth

Jul 4, 2010
Finished up at School, caught the last show. Saw your review afterwards. Haven't seen a movie in ages (school gets busy).

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. You can read into it as much or little as you want to. It was depressing, serious, funny, silly, artsy, had pretty girls in tiny-ish outfits and hats that didn't fall off (Rocket), random Polish accent, a fat guy, a samurai with a giant ass machine gun, everything.

One thing I noticed. The part with the jet-pack (that should be non-spoiler enough, but yes, there's a jet-pack in the movie), I felt the shot looking down at and the shot looking up at SweatPea (the older sister) was for the boys in a "it's gonna be a little emotional after this, so here ya go." Which I thought was nice of the Snyder.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I'll be seeing it this weekend. Sounds pretty unique.
Edit: Yikes. It is getting destroyed by critics.
Since when critics opinion matter? oh wait...

OP: I am giving a go at this one, hope its not an orgy of special effects with poor story telling.

HapexIndustries

Mar 8, 2011
Gxas said:
SON OF A *****!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...
Ironic considering the metascore for Paul was a 57.

Baalthazaq

Sep 7, 2010
First: I agree with MovieBob.

I almost *never* agree with the reviews, I have to say, we just have opposite tastes I guess, but I stand with Bob on this against all the other critics.