Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2010
Well, Bob was certainly right about how divisive this movie is...

I've just come back from seeing this movie (having been released in Australia two weeks after the US) and I must say that I absolutely loved it. I do get why people wouldn't; the plot is so convoluted that it's obscure, and it does tick too many "what geeks like" boxes to be taken all that seriously. But to be honest, I just felt like I got what it was doing. The dreams-as-escapism thing worked for me. On top of that, the cinematography was gorgeous and the music was superb. Even for straight-up action (which, lets be fair, isn't exactly the most intellectually demanding of movie genres), it was a ball to watch.

Personally, I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm even hoping to see it again soon if i get the chance.

P.S. If the DVD release doesn't contain the complete unedited Love is the Drug sequence from the end credits, I'm going to be a very sad panda.

Xentek

May 14, 2010
- Haven't seen it? Don't read it (though coded a bit incase you catch a glimpse) -

Instead of a lot of suspense with displaying the needed stealth to get the map, lighter and knife - seeing a close up of Amber's hand reaching into the mayor's front pocket and such - they were switched out for over the top action sequences.

Though I have to say it felt kind of empty. Like in the first one, where Babydoll got kicked around a lot and was completely uninjured; kinda like watching someone play a video game with the cheats turned on - it's flashy, but there's no real sense of accomplishment when she wins out. Amber was nervous at first being given the task to get the lighter, I think that could've been translated into the sequence (the dragon/castle was the most boring action scene in my opinion).

I found the movie interesting and had some ah-ha moments as I was watching it, tying in some stuff that went on that correlated between all three layers. The action sequences needed to have more weight to them - real expressed struggle correlating to the item they are getting, and who are involved (like Babydolls first dance, Sweet Pea getting the map, Amber getting the lighter). I liked the slow motion action sequence with the robots though, I felt they could've made it a bit longer actually.

Eventually when 'the bomb goes off', and Blue 'finds out' about stuff - I was kinda happy for the turn of events; it was going somewhere dramatic (albeit in rapid succession). Though I couldn't really empathize with Sweet Pea's supposed anguish because she wasn't really established, let alone the establishment of relation between Rocket and Sweet Pea; nor could I feel Blondie's guilt and the 'oh no/wtf' that usually comes with it.

I saw a lot, but didn't feel much (cept at the opening for a bit). I like the concept of using an alternate reality to portray happenings in the previous ones; but it wasn't executed well enough. I also liked how it opens without any dialogue, except I couldn't feel the horror of babydoll accidentally shooting her sister; I didn't know either of them nor about their bond cept that their stepdad was a jerk. For the rest there was a lot of flashy action, but more than once I was telling myself "someone should've sent Snyder a copy of Devil May Cry 3 and/or Advent Children".

I liked seeing it because it was something different, and that reason for me to watch it was fulfilled; The content was also good, I mean, steampowered undead nazis in the same scene with WW1 bombers and a Mech with rocket boots, why not! It was hilarious in that aspect, but it was just too easy to overcome the obstacles - even though stuff gets messy in the end; and because it hasn't really been that much effort, it's not that hard to see them lose some.

TL;DR? To me, it was like playing an awesome game, but it was played with the cheats on.

Tontomanzz

Apr 29, 2010
Just saw it over the weekend. For me it had the problem of that I didn't really care about the characters that much and that the fact they seemed invincible anyway there was no tension in the combat. But then I just went ok and sat back and watched for the visuals combined with the soundtrack. That's why I go see these movies in a full IMAX screen (not one of the smaller versions tagged with the IMAX name) with that killer sound system.

Didn't click for me, but the visuals and sound made it enjoyable and worth it. If I had known ahead of time, drinks and *cough* could have probably turned it into quite a trip ;). Story didn't suck me in although donlt have any problems with the plot or setup per se, but babes and the visuals.... DAMN. He makes it look like art. Nice to see slow motion beautifully setup instead of the jerking combat camera I'm soooo sick of.

PS. I'd love a new FPS game to come out with that retro look for the Nazi age. Another DAMN :)

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This review finally made me realize that Bob's taste in movies and mine are not on the same level. Here's some examples of movies he's called good:

G.I. Joe - The rise of Cobra "It's really, really, good"
Has a grade of 5.7 on IMDB

Red Riding Hood "It's damn near a masterpiece" (so fun to take it out of context)
Has a grade of 4.8 on IMDB. Every other review I've seen has crushed it to the ground.

Avatar he said "Hell yes you should (go see it)". The first two hours were some of the most painful film watching I've ever experienced, though the orgasmic third hour made up for it.

Inglourious Basterds he called "a very, very good movie". It was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Don't take this as a hate speech against Bob, I still like his show and am going to keep watching it. But this time he overanalyzed the shit out of the movie and spends nearly half the damn review just praising Zack Snyder. I'm not going to take Bob's recommendations seriously anymore.

Grunge4Ever

Jan 24, 2010
have you seen redlettermedia's half in the bag review of it? It might shed some light on why it is critically failing.

Tontomanzz

Apr 29, 2010
Hehe, if you only liked Avatar for the last battle and didn?t like Inglorious Bastards, oh yeah you and Bob are on different levels. It's never easy finding one who perfectly matches you. I just find one who's close and make note of the types of movies where we don't match up.

I like his reviews as it also takes into account the viewers. For Sucker Punch he mentioned even if it doesn?t work for you on the plot, you?ll still get action and visual entertainment. That?s good to know. So I went IMAX for the screen and sound and enjoyed it, it would have died as a rental and TV.

I actually like his wide ranging review. I have enough problems with trailers telling the whole story, don?t need a reviewer to do the same. So talks on style, history etc. are welcomed instead of just a quick runover of the plot, which usually gives away the whole film since for 90% of them the plot is so simple and cookie cutter a child could figure it out. I prefer a review talking about style (then I can choose if that style suits me) over a review that tells me the whole movie, and then I decide if I want to see the movie again but with pictures and actors this time.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Loved it, confusing at times but nothing a little thought wont fix. Got the soundtrack as soon as i got back from the cinema...IT'S EPIC! :eek:)

I'll defiantly be getting this on Blu ray when it comes out, hope there is a directors cut coz i'm sure a lot of the film got cut out for running time/rating.

Mooly

Jan 24, 2010
Zack Snyder uses a series of over the top dramatizations to illustrate the emotional struggle and (arguable) growth of 5 beautiful girls, as they attempt to escape from an insane asylum. A concept i found interesting at first glance, but the end result was so poorly executed that I almost walked out. Instead of attempting to further characterize the girls via their journey through the actual and the surreal the movie relys on broad and semi poetic wisdom, delivered by, of all things, an all powerful magic bus driver.
For example, the first time the girls enter the dream together, they meet their wise and benevolent wizard. He briefly equips them for battle and sends them off saying "if you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything".
Now this really bothered me. While it's a nice sentiment, its hardly relevant to the plot. if the whole first act was a joke then this would be the punchline. A chance to make an idea integral to your story stick in the audiences mind. And the moment is squandered on line that makes me think the writers sat down and with the intent to find something epic, mysterious, and memorable to use in their add campaign.
And whats worse, they reuse this idea every time the girls enter the dreamworld.
i could keep going but this is getting boring.

May 17, 2010
I was let down by it. The concept of multiple levels of reality was neat and so was the "gotcha" ending. The visuals and the girls were very pretty and the openning part with led zepplin blaring was awesome. But I never really engaged with the characters at all. A lot of the fantasy scenes felt like well, aggressive nerd pandering. I didn't really get why steampunk german zombies and a giant robot would be part of Babydoll's fantasy. like at all. I always thought fantasies should be at least a bit revealing about the character's own internal thoughts and this really wasn't.

It felt like it could of been a lot better. it didn't deserve to bomb but I can't see why some people are almost orgasming over it.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I concur with the entirety of this review and have had several lengthy conversations about this film with the other half of the dividing line. :)

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
I wasn't sure whether to go see this movie or not, my friend recommended it very highly but reviews and scores are generally poor and I had a gut feeling I would not enjoy this movie especially after watching the trailer which made it come across as a high-octane, CGI visual fest with no heart or brain.

So I came to MovieBob to assuage my uncertainty and now......I'm not going to touch this film with a ten foot pole. If MovieBob recommends you to go see a comic book, fantasy inspired or themed film then generally speaking, I just know I would not enjoy it. I don't know if its a question of quality or taste but any of the films in this vein that Bob has recommended I've never enjoyed. So, to learn from example, I will not be watching this film. Thanks Bob for saving me money.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
If I had to describe this movie in a single sentence it would be; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest for people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I would not at all be surprised if Zack Synder pitched it to the WB executives as an exploitation film about schizophrenia.

I certainly enjoyed it, but I think people are searching a little too hard to find reasons to either love or hate this harmless piece of cinematic titillation.

LasseZ

Mar 18, 2011
Since I'm on Bobs side most of the time when he reviews a controversial (either because of general quality or content wise) movie and got the impression from the trailers that this was going to be one hell of a fun movie I was really hyped to finally see it last week! Plus the soundtrack features When the levee breaks by Led Zeppelin, which is awesome!

I was expecting fun, fast-paced, unique Zack Snyder goodness, with some deeper, intelligent undertones. What I got was a mediocre, pretty shallow movie which definitely makes WAY too much use of slow motion in the fight scenes. It was unique and (at least visually) a real Zack Snyder movie, but doesn't go any deeper. The characters are all pretty flat and I felt very little connection to any one of them or saw much connection between them, as well.

I really wondered where you saw the intelligence and meaningfulness in this forgettable flick Bob!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Razhem said:
Well, watched it and again it's confirmed how much of a hack you are. But I'm not surprised you find this "empowering" when you can't see the problem with Metroid Other M's story and how you tend to completely lose any critical sense the moment gazoongas are flapping in the screen.

As for the movie itself, it was a borefest that happened to contain 3 pretty awesome music videos. That's it, the characters are as compelling as dolls, the plot reeks of pretentiousness that pretends to be philosophical but just feels half assed. I mean good god, I was expecting fan pandering and it couldn't even fucking get that right. Also, protip, giving me the goddamn it's a dream twist and letting me know it in the first 15 minutes is shit, because at that instant it utterly killed me giving a damn about what I was watching, you call it "blurring reality", I call it dream sequence inside a dream sequence.
Pretty much sums it up. The action scenes with loud music worked in the same vein as motivational youtube clips. Apart from that I feel slightly dumber now that I have watched this. May God have mercy on the soul of the creator of this piece.

shaderkul

Apr 19, 2009
Ok....let me say this first: I went to watch this movie without seeing or hearing any reviews or critics opinion on it, so I had no bias for or against it or any predisposition to hate or love it. I came out of the cinema hall feeling like I'd been sucker punched!

WTF!?

In all Honesty, I usually agree with Movie Bob's review but I must say I totally disagree with this one. SuckerPunch is a pointless, patronizing, pandering mass of geek gratification pretending to be "intelligent" and "artistic". I'm shocked beyond words!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I just saw this movie so I'm going to necro this thread. Bigtime /disagree

The intro with the stepfather and asylum was brilliant, too bad the movie didn't end there. The whole cathouse thing made NO sense because it didn't have a context. Then the action sequences made even less sense.

If it was a parallel story with the same actors playing the same role in multiple settings like the last star trek next generation episode it would have worked. If the fantasies at all related to each other it would have worked.

As an example of context maybe show the asylum inmates allowed to play dressup, and baby finds a leotard and feather boa which sets up the cathouse. Then in the cathouse she the boss has a suit of samurai armor and maybe practices kendo with his bodyguards, that sets up the kung fu fantasy.

But it didn't have any of that. Instead it just had a bunch of scenes that didn't fit together at all. How exactly did she guarantee giving herself a lobotomy would bust the corrupt doctor? It looked more like the creators had a bunch of stuff that looked cool on storyboards and wanted to tie a movie around it.

This movie had great visuals but as a coherent work it was a failure. And that is too bad because if it kept up the gripping atmosphere of the first two minutes if could have been spectacular.

a_swe_mayt_hink

May 13, 2011
Put me down for HELL NO....this is another zack Snyder movie that seems more like a music video something off MTV than an actual film. to put it simply: The use of sound is horrifying. the acting is horrifying. The dialogue is horrifying. The directing is horrifying.

if your between the ages of 12-14 you might enjoy this film, otherwise find something more entertaining to do.....like smashing your head against a brick wall for 2 hours.

a_swe_mayt_hink

May 13, 2011
Put me down for HELL NO....this is another zack Snyder movie that seems more like a music video something off MTV than an actual film. to put it simply: The use of sound is horrifying. the acting is horrifying. The dialogue is horrifying. The directing is horrifying.

if your between the ages of 12-14 you might enjoy this film, otherwise find something more entertaining to do.....like smashing your head against a brick wall for 2 hours.