Escape to the Movies: Super 8

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Every time I saw a commercial for the movie I tried to figure out what the fuck it was supposed to be about, I never could figure it out.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
Hooray for the Tanooki Suit!
Wait, was there something about a movie here? Eh, probably won't see it, but it's not like I see very many movies anyway.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Oh lord... you know what the sad thing is? Yhis review is the first I've heard of this movie outside of some teaser-trailers that made their way to Australia and I had to rely on this entirely to have any clue what the movie is about, those trailers give NO information.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
MovieBob said:
Super 8

The embodiment of "not bad."

Watch Video
HAHAHA Thank you so much for making that Kung Pow Joke XD

Honestly I never thought of that about the WiiU (WEEOOOOH) until now.

Concerning the review, I'm kinda dissapointed that the movie doesn't focus on the cover up a bit more.

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
Darn you Bob! I thought either someone was fooling around outside the window behind me, or that my monitor was going haywire. Then it turns out that JJ Abrams was in the control room blasting lens flare. If bizarre illogical convoluted plotlines are a JJ Abrams trademark, so is excessive lens flare. "Star Trek" was lens flare-tastic.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
...I liked Cloverfield. My only real complaint was Abrams obsession with not telling us shit. However in the case of Cloverfield, it worked...to a certain extent.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Oh lord... you know what the sad thing is? Yhis review is the first I've heard of this movie outside of some teaser-trailers that made their way to Australia and I had to rely on this entirely to have any clue what the movie is about, those trailers give NO information.
Duh, they were probably designed by Abrams. ......snap.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Just a question. How is Felicity like anything else in JJ Abrams career? I watched it beginning to end, thought it was absolutely excellent, but I don't see any mystery or hiding of things that didn't pay off. It was well excecuted except for that wacky ass last episode arc that came out of nowhere and seemed completely out of genre.....except for it being Felicity going "will it be Ben, will it be Noel" all over again. And that theme wasn't ever all that fake because I know girls that are just like that. So yeah...umm...super 8?

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
DaxStrife said:
I was worried when I saw the first lens flare, I thought my monitor was starting to die or something. Nice visual gag, Bob. :-D
Yeah, when it was at the bottom right I just assumed it was the light from outside but then when it moved to the middle I was like :O my monitor it has died :(

Also I was expecting him to mention the trailer demo thing on portal 2

Dansrage

Nov 9, 2010
Yes Bob, people only make good movies to attack you on a personal level! God knows how they would make any money without the approval of jaded, pessimistic internet reviews!
I love you though Bob, and i love to listen to you complain, it's incredibly entertaining for reasons i can't fathom. You should do a MST3K where instead of making fun of the film, you complain, *****, moan, overanalyse and deconstruct for two hours, i would pay to see that.
We should get together some time and just have a huge argument over some coffee.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
2 movies in one, what could possibly go wrong? Bah, the only real rason I'd watch this movie is for the xeno, and since that turns out to be somewhere between a distraction and a letdown I'll skip it.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
wow that lens flare freaked me out for about 20 seconds before I realised it was on the video, I thought that horrible eye problem I had last year was back.

Back ontopic I'm totally the other way to Moviebob, I don't give two rats backsides about the kids, I want grown ups, I want aliens, I really don't care about some punk making a movie (honestly making a movie about making a movie is basically mental masturbation, it's as bad as novels about writers... well maybe not as bad, but close!)

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
FUUUUUU Bob I've been trying to buy Kung Pow for awhile now as my sister has decided that me stealing it off her all the time is not appropriate. Now I want it even more... :(

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
I figured as much, knew it was going to be all hype and no substance.

However I want to put this far away from JJ's Star Trek. Thats probably the only movie I will argue with Bob on. It had its flaws sure, but he went on a rail on it. It was a gteat story, great action, great casting. I dont see what he hates about it.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Was like "Ohhh!" when I got the lens flare joke.

This film was kind of getting my attention only by the similarities to the Speilbergian 80's kid adventures movies (they ride bikes, they have a fat kid, I'm gonna assume the phrase penis breath is said?) but if the film itself falls short, I think I can wait till DVD.