Escape to the Movies: The Adventures of Tintin

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I saw this movie a while ago.

It had it's problems, and the biggest one that it never stopped. Since it was full of running and action ALL THE TIME, nothing stood out.

I'll stick to the animated movies and of course the original comics.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Watched tintin with me family 2 weeks ago, we all greatly enjoyed the film so is definitly a good choice for family viewing.

Our own criticisms was it became too "holywood" by the finale, it was a lot of noise and sparks and things moving and crashing which is usually in the middle of a tintin story rather then the end. Lets say we found the finale's tone to be untintinish, but spielberg had already taken quite a few liberties in regard to plot and cannon (especially with haddocks relationship to the antagonist, who wasnt an antagonist in the comics) and for the most part they worked, so can forgive this faux pas.

My own personal regret is that due to blending in elements of 3 books we will never get to see the classic scene when after meeting with the liutenant in the desert tintin and crew get ambushed by enemies whom i forgot, during the battle one of them sneaks behind and tries to kill tintin but misses and shoots haddocks whiskey bottle instead. This turns haddock into a god of vengeance and primal fury the likes of which would terrify even his ancestor and he charged forward with his gun as a club, seemingly putting the enemy to flight, before finding out they only ran due to incoming reinforcements from the liutenant (who received word of the ambush just after tintin had left from his camp).

Oh well pirate battle scene was well done, will settle for that.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Had a few hours before work today, so I went and saw this movie (felt awkward being the only early 20 year old in a theater full of little kids and their parents, but whatever). And it was a really good movie. Tintin never appealed to me as a kid, and I usually hate characters with animal sidekicks but it all worked out alright. The overarching plot is pretty common, and the "key" to figuring out the big clue that leads to the treasure can be figured out by a six year old, but the action in this movie is amazing. Definitely worth the watch just for the technical aspects in both animation and directing. Also best pirate battle I've ever seen.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
lacktheknack said:
Also, the original French comics have Snowy named "Milou". No idea why they didn't just call him "Milo", but there you go.
Because "Milou" is "Snowy" in French, what he's been called in all the English translation. It makes sense, he's a white dog.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WolfThomas said:
lacktheknack said:
Also, the original French comics have Snowy named "Milou". No idea why they didn't just call him "Milo", but there you go.
Because "Milou" is "Snowy" in French, what he's been called in all the English translation. It makes sense, he's a white dog.
That depends. If you Google Translate "Milou" from French to English, you get "Snowy". But if you translate "Snowy" from English to French, you get "neigeux".

Freaking languages, how do they work?

sporkaganza

Apr 17, 2011
Bob was wrong about Sherlock Holmes 2 (I saw it a couple weeks ago and it was even better than the first) but he was spot-on about this movie. I just saw it today, and it was the most fun I've had at the movie theater in a while. There were so many really great action sequences, especially the climactic one. Any movie that has two guys having a crane fight is a good movie.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I wonder if we would see more comic book movies based on comics from Europe if this one is successful.

Cross my fingers for a great Astérix or Spirou movie.