Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - The Movie That Broke MovieBob

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
When I left the cinema is was so enraged about the stupidity and non human characters in this movie. The last time i feld that was after watching Transformers 3.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
The only think I couldn't get over was

How they kill gwen, her fall was powerful enough to snap her spine when spiderman tried to grab her with webbing but not powerful enough to ripped the shirt off her body? The web literally only grab the front of her shirt! not her jacket, not leather, but COTTON SHIRT!

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
This review illustrates precisely how DC has made me feel about every title I used to collect from them.
I hate hating them.
But I do. And that hurts.

I feel your pain Bob.
I might feel more when I see this film... but I won't until I can check the DVD out free from the library.
(Well, relatively free... because taxes and occasional late fees.)

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
synobal said:
Shirokurou said:
Apparently people forgot just exactly how the Sam Raimi Spider-man movies were. Like...it wasn't really Spider-Man at that point. He changed most of the characters and etc. And Spider-man 3 anyone.

Amazing 2 was pretty good IMHO. Bob's thing...I actually don't even get what's wrong with him. I get him not liking a movie for reasons, but "breaking"? The guy's acting up. Hamming up IMHO.

Peter and Gwen here have chemistry and the Electro fights are epic. Harry Osborn...could and should have been dropped from the movie. But otherwise, it's a pretty good action flick.
Ya I don't think Bob likes the increasing influence of the Ultimate universe spider-man in the amazing spider-man movies.

I've always liked the ultimate universe though.
He's just...entering mid-life crisis or something? I don't know.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I can relate to your favourite characters being handled badly.

That's how I felt about Lizard in the first one. His character was all over the place and he looked generic, and he is one of my favourite characters. Him and Doc Ock, who was Magneto in the Ultimate Spiderman (I nerdraged at that quite a lot) and so likely to end up the same way in this movie series.
I'd prefer they'd go with Lady Ock for these movies, actually.

Anyone who did see this, can you tell me if Connors/Lizard was in it at all? Or referenced to?

I'm not getting depressed over this, though, since I'm already ignoring bunch of stuff related to those characters. (And Spider-Man in general)

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
So, while everyone is busy ragging on bob for being a fanboy i'd like to point out the website we're all on right now. it's whole point is fanboys and the argument that bob is acting like a kid or something is kinda null n void by being made HERE.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Lieju said:
Anyone who did see this, can you tell me if Connors/Lizard was in it at all? Or referenced to?
He and the incident he caused during the first movie were referenced, a little bit.

endtherapture said:
I saw this film, looking forward to it as I really enjoyed the last one. However I hated this one, pacing was bad, the plot was so full of holes, it was boring, I was texting and tweeting in the film whilst laughing at how cliched and bad it was, one of the most awful films I've ever seen and I'm ever more disappointed that Bob because I enjoyed the first one.
Would you mind listing those plot holes?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
bluegate said:
Lieju said:
He and the incident he caused during the first movie were referenced, a little bit.

endtherapture said:
I saw this film, looking forward to it as I really enjoyed the last one. However I hated this one, pacing was bad, the plot was so full of holes, it was boring, I was texting and tweeting in the film whilst laughing at how cliched and bad it was, one of the most awful films I've ever seen and I'm ever more disappointed that Bob because I enjoyed the first one.
Would you mind listing those plot holes?
Just, everything happened because the plot needed it to happen rather than because it happened in an organic sense. One thing was the whole Green goblin thing - the doors to the Green Goblin suit just opened up when Harry needed it to open up because he was dying and we all know Harry is the Green Goblin - not because of any organic storytelling reason.

Gwen died for no reason other than because it happens in the comics.

Electro goes from slightly autistic goofy guy to megalomanical Spider-Man hating villain in about 5 seconds for no reason other than the fact he is the films villain. No organic character development.

Electro suddenly gets a suit with lightning bolts on for no reason other than the final boss fight.

The climactic fight in the film against Electro was stupid because they cheaply added some stupid plane crash plot in to escalate tension except no one we know about is actually on the plane so it becomes hard to care.

Peter's dad sending off some file to a secret hidden underground lab and DYING for it - not because of a proper reason like he's sending it to the press or something.

Aunt May only mentioning the D train so that Peter can find the aforementioend secret lab.

So so stupid. Boring, stale action apart from in the first sequence, a stupid conspiracy plot that goes no where. Awful awful film.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I didn't really have a reason to see this before anyhow...still don't have a reason to see it. I feel bad for you Bob and I kind of feel bad for Spider-Man fans in general. It almost seemed like One More Day was the final straw for a lot of people but it looks like Sony is trying to out-do that story...

maybe that's Sony's end-game?
If you've read One More Day, hell even half of Spider-Man's comics, you will find that all of the movies are better than most of the actual comic run. That's not saying the movies are excellent, that's saying Spider-Man isn't this glowing idol of comic perfection everyone's holding him up to be.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Must suck for bob watching a character he like being brutalised like this, I can point and laugh because I've never really liked spiderman, but man I can relate, I feel the same way about Dr Who.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
So does that mean we'll have to get someone who's not "broken" or "depressed" to review movies now?

^_^

VVThoughtBox

Mar 3, 2014
gogool808 said:
I just watched this video for the 3rd times. He spends maybe about 2 minutes of actual reviewing. The rest of it is complaining about something that has nothing to do with this movie. I understand he is upset Sony has a plan for the future of Spider-man and it's not going to be sold to marvel anything soon, but I also know you are very intelligent.

What is this "I'm done with movies" crap. Did you really think your review spider man wasn't going to hold on it's own you had to do this crap? I know you don't go into these videos without a plan and wing it based on your actual opinion. I know you plan things so that your opinion appears relevant with the viewers. I also know you understand a great deal of film and how they work. The thing is that this review is the most half assed thing I have ever seen you do. You literally filled 50% of this review with repetition and soft phrases. The 2 minutes of review were just repeated phrases from some first year film class. How in the world do YOU not understand why harry is still mad even though his illness is cured? You mention marvel more than 3 times I believe.

You aren't reviewing films with expert criticism anymore like you used to. I pretty much realized this with your review on the last twilight movie. Everything people think you will like you will hate, and everything people think you will hate you give it some kind of praise that no one would understand unless you have an "expert" level of understanding in film.

Honestly I just think that the movie dream in you died something back. The dream of making the films you love just didn't pay out like you thought. That kid you used to be that couldn't wait to be in front of a screen to be apart of something bigger than everyday life. Are you seriously becoming the thing you hate the most?
Moviebob hates Amazing Spiderman because Sony is only making the movie so that they don't lose any rights to the character. Though his dislike of the movie is really immature.

Grim Sterling

Dec 27, 2013
I can honestly say I have skipped the first ASM and will skip this one because of the reviews Bob has done. And I don't think I'll regret it later, too. I'm not a big ol comic fan or have a penchant for Spidey, though I do love movies. It stinks to see a single series grind on a critic so hard, but I've had moments like this too when seeing flix I expected ot be so much better. Hopefully Bob can get back on the horse and maybe Godzilla will rejuvenate his will to live as a critic. :)

Though if Bob shifted to full time gameoverthinker I wouldn't complain.. hehehe

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I'm actually really looking forward to this movie now...why?

Bob HATED the first one and yet I consider it to be among the better superhero movies released in the last decade. This one being marginally better likely means that from my perspective it'll be close to the original in terms of enjoyment. I'll take Amazing Spider-Man 1 over Thor, Incredible Hulk and Captain America movies any day (though I haven't seen Captain America Winter Soldier yet).

It's unusual for me to completely disagree with Movie Bob's opinion particularly when it comes to nerd culture. This review has actually managed to increase my hype rather than deter it though.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I feel sorry for you Bob. Maybe this is what being a critic does to you - you become impossible to please and anything remotely bad becomes a mortal sin against everything good in the world. For that reason you should consider pulling out of nerd culture and movies and become a fisherman for like 30 years.

To all those that are saying "I haven't seen ASM2 but Bob says it's the worst thing in creation so I'll condemn it too and avoid it like the plague", I implore you to refrain from having an opinion until you have actually seen it. If you hate it with every fibre of your being too, then fine. Just remember that everything out there (no matter how miraculously outstanding you think it is) will have at least one person giving it an "AAHH!! MY EYES!!!" style review.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JimB said:
But the beautiful thing is, I still have those books.
So do I. I have those books that were badly written from the very first day, that were broken from the very first day, that no one in the managerial or oversight departments cared about from the first day; that I was dumb enough and naive enough to think could be made to work, like (if you'll forgive me for making a comparison that will no doubt seem to trivialize what I'm about to reference) a battered wife thinking loving her husband will stop him from beating her.[/.quote]

So it sucked from the first day. Exalted is a bad product, deal with it. That has little to do with the issue at hand. Bob was talking about something he thought was good, something he loved. You're describing these books as crap. You're describing betrayal at something that not only is standard fare for White Wolf, but something that was happening from day one. There's an old saying in Tennessee--well, it's a saying in Texas, probably Tennessee--fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. If you bought into a bad product expecting it to get better, it's hardly them betraying you. Rather, it's you enabling them.

Now, seriously, did this "betrayal" put you off gaming? Again, this is what Bob is describing.

Look at a thing you love through a lens of betrayal, and everything good in it will seem like poison. This feeling will pass in time depending on how quickly you get over the wound, but while it exists, the feeling is real.
This all seems petty and childish. They can't wound me. They can't betray me. Well, no, I suppose they can. Deidre Brooks(?) posted my personal info online to show me who was boss and Conrad Hubbard banned me from the WW forums because my name was similar to another guy he didn't like. When that was cleared up, I remained permanently banned anyway. And I'm still not "wounded" as you are by them not making books up to your standard. I think having personal information released because of the abuse of one person's position is probably more "betrayal" than your books not living up to expectation.

And that didn't even put me off White Wolf, let alone gaming.

The feeling doesn't exist for me. And I hope it never does, because I can't imagine being this upset over a game, or a comic, or a movie, or a toy.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I dunno I love spider man and such and I found the last one to be the best one since that other last one(2002). WIth that said it was full of holes but most of which you'd only notice if you are a film or comic nerd. I try and go by the general direction of what is it trying to do rather than allow myself to get boged down in details unless they are that painful(I do it with games all the time).. So it seems to me this is a fine action flick that like most if you start peeing things back you find more and more wrong with it.