Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Strangely enough, opinions about this Spider-Man movie appear to be all over the board. Some reviews say it's great, others say it's mediocre, and some (like Bob here) say it's piss-poor. I'm betting it'll wind up being just sort of okay, doing some things right and others wrong. I'll wind up seeing it myself, if only because I like Spider-Man.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I had an incling that this wouldnt be very good, its far too early to start reviving this franchise anyway.

Plus, (*armour on, sheilds up, take cover in the bunker*), I'm getting bored of comic book flicks now, every month its something else "comic/graphic novel" related. After the anti-climax of the Avengers I think Dark Knight Rises will be my last film of this type for quite some time.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Called it months ago. But I am still pissed. I love Spidey. The fact that it sucks really makes me sad. Spidey deserves better.

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
thomaskattus said:
DRTJR said:
...How do you make a Spider man movie with out J. Jonah Jameson?
This was my question as well. He is an iconic part of the Spider man mythos.
Because JK Simmons IS JJJ. There is no one they could've found to play him that wouldn't have pissed people off, so they just made the Daily Bugle into CNN and called it a win for Sony for out thinking the drones called Spider-Man fans.
That said, FUCK Sony.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I heard a few reviewers has been saying that it's bad, but there has been people saying it's good. I'm still going to see it because I like to form my own opinions and never take anything a reviewer says to heart.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Bob, I like it when you get angry. Not because something happened to make you angry, but because it'f fun to watch you eviscerate this shit. I may rent this later on when I'm feeling particularly masochistic, but no way I'm wasting my money on seeing it in theaters.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
Figured that if it was getting an "emergency" episode to itself that it would ether be great and Bob was being apologetic or it was Shin and Bob here was goign to go Kenshiro on it's ass before making it explode in an ironic manor.

Shame it's the latter, really is.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ccdohl said:
I thought Spider-Man 3 messed up Uncle Ben's death so badly that anything would be an improvement. I guess I was wrong.
It's what movie franchises do when they're completely out of ideas; Retcon shit in order to keep the story going. And Spider-Man 3 did it twice including Harry Osborn's amnesia. *ugh*

As for this new Spider-Man movie... Bob sounds a bit too pissed for me not to take most of what he said with a grain of salt.
I could already tell by the trailer that I probably wasn't going to like this reboot though, but as I always say with every reboot/sequel/prequel; We'll always have the original.

I'll give it a rent when the time comes.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
First I feel bad in hoping this movie to bomb so hard that Sony will finally sold back the rights back to Disney/Marvel, unfortunately like Bob said it won't fucking happen. This movie is no. 1 right now here in the Philippines(as of this writing). But after watching this review I kinda feel justified.

BTW the famous "with great power, comes great responsibility" line, Spidey didn't say it or anyone in the movie at all.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I figured this would would suck, sadly. Thanks for the advance warning, Bob. Should've listened to you when you said not to see Green Lantern.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Whenever someone asks me why I think your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt half the time, I'll point em to this video. You've been against this movie since before anything got announced besides that it's going to happen. And it shows. Even if this movie was The Dark Knight levels of good, you'd probably still say it was bad.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'm not going to watch it simply because Marvel doesn't have the rights back yet. Once they do, then I'll watch it.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
DRTJR said:
...How do you make a Spider man movie with out J. Jonah Jameson?
Badly, apparently.

But Nate's right; JK killed as JJJ, so unless they got him back (which would've been bizarre given that the entire rest of the cast is different from the other Spidey movies) they wouldn't have been able to find someone who could compare.

Well, I mean, okay, maybe they could have - anything is possible - but it's highly unlikely.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Well we all knew this was coming. It was kind of obvious that this would be the type of film that Bob hates. I'm still planning on seeing it though, even if I'm not expecting that much.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Can't say I'm really all that surprised by this review, Bob's more or less been trolling this film for the past year.

One point of contention I do feel the need to respond to, though, is Bob's "it just so happens..." bit. That's a pretty nitpicky thing to hang around this film's neck, especially when it could be applied to most - if not all - comic book movies, hell even any action movie.

I mean, well, here are just a couple of examples;

Kid's parents are murdered by street mugger who it just so happens shares a cell with a mob boss who it just so happens is working with the head of local psychiatric prison who it just so happens is working with the same kid's evil mentor figure to destroy the city.

German terrorists take over corporate building where it just so happens there's a hotheaded New York cop who it just so happens is a pretty inventive guy when working with firearms and explosives, and who it just so happens turns out to be the husband of one of the top ranking executives in the building who it just so happens is the primary hostage the terrorists are talking to because they killed the CEO.

To berate this film for making Richard Parker a co-worker with Connors, and have both of them working for Norman Osborn, just comes off as trying to bury it with a pretty flimsy shovel, since that's an angle that's been played out in some of the comics and animated series already, and isn't an arrangement that's too far outside the realms of possibility. Hell, to quote Bob's own catchphrase, but comics are weird, and that kind of "it just so happens" coincidence is commonplace in the comics.

And, yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed for typing this up, but what the hell...

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Wow, I understand some of where Bob is coming from, but... that's a lot of rage.

I saw the midnight premiere of this movie (not because I was hyped for the movie, but because I wanted to hang out with some friends), and I liked it somewhat. I mean, most recent superhero movies have been better, but I actually enjoyed myself while watching it. I'm normally extremely critical of movies too...

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I think Bob blew a gasket. This is like watching Yahtzee review an online FPS, only not as funny and kind of painful to watch.