Escape to the Movies: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Cuppa Tetleys

Mar 22, 2010
I never really liked the Narnia books or the first film so I don't think I'll bother with this. My biggest problems were that I hated all main characters apart from Edward and Aslan; Aslan because he was voiced by Liam Neeson and Edward because he was the only one who was actually interesting and wasn't a perfect, pure, middle-class hero, and even then he was whiny and annoying, so I didn't take much to him anyway.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Its because they took out the line. If they had left in "Ninjas. Damn." then the movie would have been so much better.

OT: Don't know if I'll go see it. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was okay when I saw it, but I not really into the series that much any more. I've moved on towards other stuff. I might get around to watching it (and Prince Caspian) once it comes out on video. No promises though.

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
Dear Moviebob,
Good to see your review was impartial, to religion at least. I'm a lapsed Catholic too so I understand the relationship can be complicated to say the least.

The Golden Compass was touted by the author of His Dark Materials and the critics as the anti-Narnia. I thought it was pretty bad with weak villains, deus ex machina and a polar bear fight I just thought was silly.

What did you think of the Golden Compass?

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
This was the book in the series I was looking forward to being made into a movie, so Im glad is good, defiantly my favorite entry in the series.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I didn't even know this movie was made until I saw a commercial last night a 15 second commercial that showed nothing about the plot. Very poor advertising campaign.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
You thought Warrior's Way would be good? You were disappointed when it sucked? I could smell that stinker through fifteen pounds of coffee, ten pounds of mary j, and a tanker full of febreeze.

Your cold must've prevented you from smelling the shittiness.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am starting to think that both the magicians nephew and the last battle won't be adapted, since Nephew is the first story so it would be confusing to put it in the middle or make it last, while the Last Battle not only turns themes into "crushing weight of three gold encrusted elephants" but also relies on a lot of detail put into that story with the boy and his horse to actually make any sense.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I won't be hitting this one in the movies, but will check it out at a later date at some point.

Real shame about the Warrior's Way though. Was hoping for something fun there :\

The Keeper

Feb 19, 2009
I'm so happy to hear that Bob liked it. I was going to see it anyway, being a Narnia fan, but this is even greater encouragement. I've really been hoping this will do well. I want them to get past Silver Chair and start filming the books that haven't been done yet.

Great, now I sound like a fan-girl. :p

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
the first one? What about the Magician's Nephew? I'm pretty sure that came before the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, it did in the collection I got given. Or is there something I'm missing?

EDIT - I looked it up and the Magician's Nephew was published sixth as people have told me and as they have told me is an early example of a prequel. I was wrong and if Movie Bob is reading I owe him an apology.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

This week, Bob gets on board for Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Watch Video
Agreed, it's not a big deal. For the most part, the allegory only comes to the surface if you already know the Jesus mythos, and/or if you already know that's what C. S. Lewis was after here. It's not as obvious as the religious undertones in, say, His Dark Materials.

(In truth, Aslan is much more representative of the Old Testament Hebrew concept/expectation for the Messiah--a military leader sent from God to throw down not their spiritual oppressor, but their physical oppressors. He follows through on the "sacrificial lamb" aspect of the Christian Messiah, but other than that he's pretty much a military leader.)

The story is an epic as old as time--good versus evil, virtue triumphing over vice, the hero laying down his life, and a healthy sprinkling of generic morality--so it shouldn't be a problem for people to simply view it as a work of fiction. Or, at worst, one work of fiction based on another work of fiction.

May 17, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
the first one? What about the Magician's Nephew? I'm pretty sure that came before the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, it did in the collection I got given. Or is there something I'm missing?
Magican's nephew was I believe the Phantom Menace of the franchise, in that it chronologically come out later but is a prequel.

Aug 1, 2010
I must be an idiot because I never noticed the religious implications of the Narnia series. Wierd.

Probably won't see this. The first one was great, the second was meh and this just looks unnecessary.

The ninja movie sucked? And the line wasn't even in it?
[i/]Damn[/i]

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
No "Ninjas... dam"? Dam you, we could of had an internet meme!

As for Narnia, I saw it yesterday and while visually pleasing, some of the characters really annoyed me. The final stand off at the end is very epic though.

In the case of the religious aspect, I quickly thought Alsan is God for both realities? Either that or as my friend joked afterwards, what he meant was:

Aslan: "You will know me in your world... as Liam Neeson."

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Vault Citizen said:
I think it was first chronologically, but it was written after The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Don't take my word for it though.

OT: I'll probably see this with my dad. I like these movies, and he loves them.

Edit: Ninja'd. Damn.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm sure if I had read the Narnia books as a child, I would have fond memories of them now. But since I picked up LWW and Magician's Nephew in my mid-20s (after a decade of playing D&D and reading Tolkien-clones), I couldn't get into them. Also, Lewis' "Jesus" seems to be more inspired by Revelations than the Gospels. More badass, maybe, but not quite as morally instructive.

Actually, you know what's looking like the "Christian" movie of the season, based on the trailers? Tron: Legacy. Flynn is "the Creator" of the digital world, whose greatest creation, Clu, rebels against him. So he summons his only begotten son, Sam, to help him fight Clu. Only, love and forgiveness and resurrection would be boring so he'll do it with identity discs and lightcycles.

dastardly said:
(In truth, Aslan is much more representative of the Old Testament Hebrew concept/expectation for the Messiah--a military leader sent from God to throw down not their spiritual oppressor, but their physical oppressors. He follows through on the "sacrificial lamb" aspect of the Christian Messiah, but other than that he's pretty much a military leader.)
EDIT: Ninja'd.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
370999 said:
Vault Citizen said:
Magican's nephew was I believe the Phantom Menace of the franchise, in that it chronologically come out later but is a prequel.
Ah my mistake, thanks.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
IDK, i thing my favorite chronicle book was the horse and his boy. i thought it was rather well done, like all of them, and I've always wanted to see a movie version of it =)