Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Dark Knight Rises

MovieBob gives us a spoiler-free review of The Dark Knight Rises.

Watch Video

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I was worried that it would stack up poorly against Avengers, but then I remembered that these films have basically been in a separate plane of existence compared to other blockbuster superhero films around it. Would you ever compare Begins to Spider-Man?

I think the problem is less that they don't stack up well when compared, and more that they can't be compared. Dark Knight Rises is almost noir-lite; a gritty, muddy, dark and morally grey film, while Avengers snaps, crackles, and pops with colour, fun, humour and variety. There is no comparison! And Dark Knight Rises just could not live up to that. Not that it was trying, but I honestly believe drawing such comparisons just are not fair because they're incomparable.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Fucking called it. I and have been saying for a long time that its going to be a disappointment that doesn't live up to the previous two movies. I figured it would be good, jut not a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't expect it to top The Dark Knight but I did expect it to be better than Batman Begins. But of course, this is Bob's opinion not mine. I'll decide how good I think it is when I see it.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
We all knew it was impossible for it to live up to expectations. Maybe if they'd used the Riddler and Catwoman as antagonists... but Bane just doesn't come off as a top-tier Batman villain. Bottom line, they were never going to top Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I think it would have been foolish of anyone to expect this to live up to or exceed The Dark Knight. It was never going to happen. This is the unfortunate stigma that TDKR has to live with. This is pretty much what I expected and I'm definitely still going to see it. If only because I have a man-crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

It is unfortunate to hear that Bane doesn't work, If they had modeled Bane better, more after the comics, then I think it would be a much better movie. Villains are what makes Batman, clearly this is why Begins/TDK worked so much better, Hardy's Bane has no chance when stacked against Ledger's Joker and Neeson's Ra's al Ghul.

I think the Riddler would have been a much better villain...and JGL would have nailed the shit out of Edward Nigma.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
It sounds interesting that he doesn't spend much time as Bat-Man, personally I always found him to be the least interesting parts of the movies, but I still like Bruce Wayne. Still it does sound like its a fun movie, and after all the pressure thats on this film, thats a pretty good result.

Plus as a very petty victory, yay Avengers topped it! :p (Thats actually something that I think was a little odd in the trailers, I kinda assumed that avengers was the most anticipated film of the year, just because its taken 5 films to get there.)

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This is why I was more excited for The Avengers as there I was expecting something new (being something of a high budget experiment). In this case is was a typical example of interest (or lack of) with trilogies. Funnily enough this happens with video games most of the time but it basically goes like this:

First: What a surprise, that was good!
Second: Even better, this series is really good.
Third: I already know it's good so I can't get pumped any longer.

I'll be seeing this film tomorrow, mid day (less people hopefully) and I'll most likely enjoy it. Anne Hathaway despite the praise is my most critical point of interest being a legitimate Catwoman fan.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
"Poorly paced"

Like all of them? With Batman Begins, I swear I accidentally skipped parts at the beginning because of it's pacing.

Thing I've noticed about Nolan, he sometimes has a hard time with pacing and making things over complicated as you mentioned. I thought Inception was good, but it was needlessly complicated, spending waaaaaay too much time explaining things. He also has a tendency to make things longer than they have too. I felt that Dark Knight dragged on a tad too long and could have done with being maybe 30 minutes shorter.

On that note, I'll be seeing this movie at midnight tonight. Not because I'm a Batman fan, because I'm definitely not, but so that:

1. The end of the trilogy
2. My criticism can be justified, because I hate it when people will rag on something they've never seen.

Edit: Now that I've actually seen it, all I have to say is disappointing. Again, it's poorly paced and etc like Bob said, I also found it to be way too long and needlessly complicated again. I was bored most of the movie. Bane's voice comes off as just obnoxious, and the character as a whole and the rest of the film is just predictable.

Before the film came out I told everyone at work what my predictions were for the formula for the movie.

Brood, villain doing something, brood, villain doing more of something, Brood, fight villain and
get caught
brood, final showdown. And that's basically how it went down.
They keep going on about how Bane is the child of Ras Al Gul. My first reaction was "Uh...didn't he have a daughter named Talia?". Wouldn't you know it, it turns out she was behind it the whole time and they used Bane as a decoy. Predictable.

On it's own, I would have to say that it's not that good a movie. Taking it into consideration that it's the final part of a trilogy, it's decent.

Mar 7, 2012
I haven't even seen the movie, but I pretty much expected what you said and I agree they probably should have stopped at the second one.

The Dark Knight was SO good and honestly, I actually planned not to see it SPECIFICALLY because it was so good. There was no way they could follow up on it.

On another note, Escape to the Movies a day early? This is a treat. Thank you Movie Bob.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
So Bob lauds everything but one thing so that means it'll be good.

If he totally loves it, it's probably not that great (if not worse). Read Sucker Punch.
If he totally hates it there's a good chance that it's better than it is. Read Amazing Spider-Man.

Got you figured, Bob-O, got you figured. :D

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Worse than the Avengers? Nah, can't be worse than the Avengers; that movie was just terrible. Most disappointing movie of 2012 so far. Suppose I'll see in a week or two.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
So basically "this is a review of a movie you can't even see yet and I can't say my opinion on it without spoiling things"

...well this video is skipped, not the first time.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I liked Avengers and all but it was in no way as good as everyone says. It was a good 7.5/10 area movie and realistically for what it is, it is nearly impossible to be better than that. With so many characters nobody can really get any focus and therefore grow as a character. The story was also incredibly straight forward with no really surprises or shock. The reason I say all this is mostly because I have a hard time seeing batman as worse than avengers but still a great movie that was only a bit of a let down. If it is as good as Avengers sure that is cool. If it is better I can see it happening. If it is worse however I have a hard time imagining it not getting flaming terrible reviews all over the place as it would be much more noticeable in this movie than the Avengers.

I dunno I guess I will see for myself later this week I really cannot judge anything till I have seen it and dissected it shot by shot for myself.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Yeah, this review, beat for beat, is exactly what I expected it to be from moment one.

Now the movie, on the other hand, I shall see for myself this Sunday and judge from there.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Inkidu said:
So Bob lauds everything but one thing so that means it'll be good.

If he totally loves it, it's probably not that great (if not worse). Read Sucker Punch.
If he totally hates it there's a good chance that it's better than it is. Read Amazing Spider-Man.

Got you figured, Bob-O, got you figured. :D
Dude... you got to give this eqaution a name, its that good.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Would you ever compare Begins to Spider-Man?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6003-Untangling-Spider-Man

Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
Victor Zsasz would be a cool villain, especially since he had a cameo in Batman Begins.

Anyways, with this trilogy ending, does this mean that Warner Brothers will finally greenlight Paul Dini's Batman Beyond script?