Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

DemBones

Apr 20, 2012
I haven't watched the review yet, I'll save it for tomorrow after I've seen the movie.

But speaking of that, shouldn't this review have been posted tomorrow?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I'm actually kinda relieved, if Nolan had tried to top the Dark Knight we may have been left with something horrible. While I'm upset that we don't get the no holds barred, blow the doors off film of the decade, at least we'll get a decent movie that can gracefully put this trilogy to rest. We all knew deep down that DK was always going to be the best, Rises wouldn't live up to it, even if it was better we still would have wanted more.

I'm just glad that it is good and that's enough for me.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I am disappoint. But not surprise.
Odd that despite giving her cat ears, they don't call her Catwoman.

Also, I think my captcha wants to eat some ice cream; unfortunately, it has no spoon.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Interesting that they dont call her cat woman

Hoorah for having 2 ending tidbits for us again.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I didn't like The Avengers, and this apparently isn't as good according to Bob so that means this is most likely gonna be very disappointing for me. Luckily I don't get hyped up over films anymore so this is no big deal and will still go see it without high expectations.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have to agree with the "it probably shouldn't be compared to The Avengers anyway" crowd. Despite both movies originating in the word of comic books, they really are totally different types of films. The Avengers was very well crafted popcorn fun. DKR, and the rest of the trilogy, aren't really about popcorn fun at all. Note that I'm not saying DKR is a great movie or that it is or isn't better than either it's preceding titles or The Avengers, it's just that it was never trying to be the same sort of movie that Avengers is/was. I would think a comic book junkie like Bob would have made note of that given that he, probably more than most people, likely knows that just because something is in comic book form doesn't mean everything in that form is the same.

Anyway, solid review. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie myself probably next weekend.

Oh, and as to the pacing, that's been a consistent problem in the series if not to all of Nolan's work. I just recently rewatched Begins and was brought back to how poorly constructed the movie is in terms of it's pacing. It's also the reason why I haven't gone back to Dark Knight despite really liking the movie on my initial viewing. I absolutely loved the constituent parts but just don't have any desire to sit through it again because of how it's put together.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I actually thought Anne Hathaway was pretty flat as Catwoman. There isn't a lot of good character development for her and it really showed. Also a lot of things flat out didn't make sense.

SPOILER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING
Her personality clearly changes between different scenes, she's made to be a nice robin hood type character at some points yet is blatantly selfish, then apparently admits her love to batman who she also hardly knows then goes to live a life of luxury somewhere else, it really didn't work for me.

Also... the perception of time was all funky, in what we are going to assume is not within american borders is some sort of hole in the ground prison with ropes hanging from the roof... and people have to rock climb out... why not just use the ropes? Is it a trust system....? Also Bane practically teleports from Gotham to said location and back again.... how the... is it meant to be a metaphorical hole or something? I get that all this time was meant to have passed but it was hard to pick it up just from watching the movie apart from quick references to the timer of the bomb... which just doesn't work showing time through some arbitrary timer is weird, also, the whole police trapped but living underground thing whaaa? Then there was the usual... this city is isolated and the people will decide what happens... get a new trick! It was already done in Batman begins and Dark Knight, it's just the fusion of the two ideas and they don't gel together great especially because Bane just hangs out in a city he knows is going to explode...

Then there was the Bane's love as a motivation... WTF it took him from having a little credibility to just being a ridiculous love struck puppy... Taking away his motivation as a wanna-be leader of the League of Shadows.

So much of this didn't work.
END SPOLIERS

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I have had a feeling for a while now that this would be a huge flop. Commercially and critically. The recent Marvel films have taken the grit out of comic book films and put the fun back in. That's the main reason I had, Batman's dark tone just doesn't fit in anymore.

And I didn't think this film even needed to exist and from what I heard about it (and I tried to avoid everything I could, which was hard) it just didn't seem like it was going to be a good story. They really fucked up by not continuing on the story from the Dark Knight, instead of that 8 year gap.

It really had too much riding on it and I am disappointed to have been right it seems. But I'll have to wait to see it before I really call anything, but I'm not going to bother going to the cinema to see it.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
Hush [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Hush]. He's a great character for Batman, but seeing as he would have had to been worked in Batman Begins I guess he wouldn't be a good choice. Hugo Strange [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Professor_Hugo_Strange] would have been interesting, or if Nolan wanted to do interesting shifts of reality in a pseudo mode of Inception he could have used The Mad Hatter [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/The_Mad_Hatter]. Personally I don't think Deadshot or Zasz would have really worked well, but that's just me.
Now since Bane "may have or have not" have had connections with the League of Assassins from the first movie, why not ditch Bane and go for Talia al Ghul instead? Shit, she was a serious pain in both Batman and Bruce Wayne's life for a while there. Maybe she would have fared better as a central villain, or as a secondary like Two Face was in The Dark Knight.

Hey Bob, if you read this, can I get your thoughts on it?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Would you ever compare Begins to Spider-Man?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6003-Untangling-Spider-Man
You seem to misunderstand me. I mean Spider-Man as in Spider-Man, the film. Not The Amazing Spider-Man, which is a different film. It's okay. It's an easy mistake to make. Except one proves my point and the other exasperates it...

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
Black Mask could work, or a Red Hood character. Riddler was the obvious choice that I still think would of been interesting to go with. The Penguin as more of a concept than the cartoon version.

Though none really match up to the Joker. The only character I can think of that can really REALLY disarm the Batman is a character that appears in Kevin Smith's "Widening Gyre". But that's a little to ethnocentric.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Cheesebob said:
Hush [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Hush]. He's a great character for Batman, but seeing as he would have had to been worked in Batman Begins I guess he wouldn't be a good choice. Hugo Strange [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Professor_Hugo_Strange] would have been interesting, or if Nolan wanted to do interesting shifts of reality in a pseudo mode of Inception he could have used The Mad Hatter [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/The_Mad_Hatter]. Personally I don't think Deadshot or Zasz would have really worked well, but that's just me.
Now since Bane "may have or have not" have had connections with the League of Assassins from the first movie, why not ditch Band and go for Talia al Ghul instead? Shit, she was a serious pain in both Batman and Bruce Wayne's life for a while there. Maybe she would have fared better as a central villain, or as a secondary like Two Face was in The Dark Knight.

Hey Bob, if you read this, can I get your thoughts on it?
I heard that Robin Williams was in consideration for the role of Hugo Strange early on in production.

And instead of Talia al Ghul, they should have brought back Raas al Ghul(is that how it's spelt?) like there was rumours about for so long, he's immortal in the comics anyway. But maybe that was a bit far-fetched to the Nolan films, and it would have tied the film to Batman Begins instead of being the stand alone film that it is.
[alot of speculation in this post as I haven't seen the film, maybe Raas is in it, Bob did mention special Cameos did he not?]

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
The Last Nomad said:
I heard that Robin Williams was in consideration for the role of Hugo Strange early on in production.

And instead of Talia al Ghul, they should have brought back Raas al Ghul(is that how it's spelt?) like there was rumours about for so long, he's immortal in the comics anyway. But maybe that was a bit far-fetched to the Nolan films, and it would have tied the film to Batman Begins instead of being the stand alone film that it is.
[alot of speculation in this post as I haven't seen the film, maybe Raas is in it, Bob did mention special Cameos did he not?]
Ra's al Ghul. It's a weird name.

He actually isn't "immortal." He has to be put in a Lazarus Pit to be brought back to life and when someone does that to you, you lose more and more of your mind. Plus this Ra's was in more of an Asian area where the Ra's from the comics is from the Middle East where most of the pits are located.

I don't want to spoil for you with your speculation, so keep speculating.

(side note: Jesus Christ I'm a Batman nerd.)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
GrimTuesday said:
Fucking called it. I and have been saying for a long time that its going to be a disappointment that doesn't live up to the previous two movies. I figured it would be good, jut not a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy.
The problem is that after the performance that Ledger gave as Joker - the most iconic of the Batman villains - NOTHING they did could possibly stand up to The Dark Knight.

As for my thoughts, I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the trailer clips I've seen I was wondering if at any point Bane juices up with the Titan crap and goes all Hulk on Batman, evidently that never happens and the only real similarity to Bane in the movie and the comics is the name and the mask. That's a bit disappointing, but then again this trilogy has been going for "realism", so I guess having a hulked-out super-freak for a villain doesn't really jive with what they're going for.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Thanks for the spoiler warning synopsis at the beginning - a straightforward brief assessment of how you felt about the movie. I sometimes avoid reviews for movies I KNOW I'm going to see anyways because I don't want my opinion to be shaped by what other people's opinions are, not necessarily because I'd find out that character X actually has a penis or some surprise or another.

I suspected from the get go that this one was going to have all of the problems of the first two movies in the series (and then some), but I wouldn't really care that much considering how much I enjoyed both of them. I do hope Nolan steers away from blockbusters pretty soon because it's starting to feel like all the Nolan Batmans and Inception are fairly similar creatures.

I'll be sure to watch the rest of this tomorrow.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
The Last Nomad said:

Ra's al Ghul. It's a weird name.

He actually isn't "immortal." He has to be put in a Lazarus Pit to be brought back to life and when someone does that to you, you lose more and more of your mind. Plus this Ra's was in more of an Asian area where the Ra's from the comics is from the Middle East where most of the pits are located.

I don't want to spoil for you with your speculation, so keep speculating.

(side note: Jesus Christ I'm a Batman nerd.)
Aye, Ra's. I could have looked it up I suppose. I remember seeing rumors about something that resembled the Lazarus pit(s) was seen on the set. Or to be more precise, a pit with a large green covering, which could have been used as a green screen to add cool effects, and I assume a Lazarus Pit would look fairly fucking strange.