Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Don't just take one reviewer's opinion guys. There are many more. It has 80% average on Metacritic right now so read some other reviews and then decide if you want to see it.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Spoilered the big stuff in this post, not really any spoiler in my opinion are in the open but still if you want to know nothing about the movie then look away.

Just on the Bruce learning to be Batman again in the second act, can I just say I don't think that's what was happening. He fully admitted that he was completely prepared to die in the battle for Gotham while in that pit, but it never even occurred to him that he could die any other way until what's his face pointed it out. Seems more like the pit was doing double duty of reminding him that Batman wasn't just a thing about thrill seeking, and that he has an identity beyond Batman, which he had clearly forgotten in this movie. He got invested in the idea that he is Batman, when it was meant to be an incorruptible symbol and the pit set him straight. Hence why ENDING SPOILERS
He ran away with Selina after the bomb detonated, with John taking up the mantle.

So in my opinion it wasn't an unnecessary retreading of ground.

I disagree with the Bane stuff, the Selina romance, etc but really I doubt anyone cares about me arguing characterisation. I will say that the twist gave Bane's character all kinds of levels of depth (though I thought he was good before it).

Honestly I thought it was the best of the trilogy. Everything about it was just holy shit, they actually topped TDK to me. But to each their own, at least you weren't trying to hate it. Personally I held back the overpowering urge to piss just so I wouldn't miss a moment and I did it with a smile.

Also the Cillian Murphy cameo was nothing but awesome.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I think we are all echoing the same thing, it will probably be a pretty decent film, and we will probably enjoy it just fine. However, no Batman film will ever come close to matching the sheer awesomeness of "The Dark Night"

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
jackinmydaniels said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Inkidu said:
So Bob lauds everything but one thing so that means it'll be good.

If he totally loves it, it's probably not that great (if not worse). Read Sucker Punch.
If he totally hates it there's a good chance that it's better than it is. Read Amazing Spider-Man.

Got you figured, Bob-O, got you figured. :D
I despise MovieBob. I hate him a video game critic, have no respect for him as a film critic, and loathe him as a person. But Sucker Punch was a decent movie. Monumentally depressing, devoid of character development, but a good movie.

captcha: SKYNET WATCHES...

...what the... fuck...
^ This, I can't fucking stand Moviebob or anything he does, but I did enjoy Suckerpunch, if only because it was something interesting to look at.
Three things:

1- Bob is in no way a "video game critic", his knowledge of video games is so puny and biased in favor of the very small selection of Nintendo games he does play that calling him one is an insult to actual video game reviewers who do it for a living.

2- I'm surprised people keep going back to the Sucker Punch review to show how questionable Bobs taste in movies are, i mean it really wasnt that great a movie but the real evidence of this is that Bob like that train wreck of a blacksploitation movie RedTails.

3- People really should take this review with as much salt as they can find. its been said before and i'll say it again; Bob is a biased fanboy. As soon as he said it wasnt as good as The Avengers i knew what was coming, in fact go back and watch the other stuff he's done where he's talked about this movie and you'd have known what his opinion was going to be ages ago. The review was as good as written long before he even saw the movie, "Not as good as The Avengers" was always going to be the outcome.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
What's that? Moviebob didn't like it? I'll just go ahead and assume that it's utterly fantastic then.

Because, you know, fuck Moviebob.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
The Last Nomad said:
I heard that Robin Williams was in consideration for the role of Hugo Strange early on in production.

And instead of Talia al Ghul, they should have brought back Raas al Ghul(is that how it's spelt?) like there was rumours about for so long, he's immortal in the comics anyway. But maybe that was a bit far-fetched to the Nolan films, and it would have tied the film to Batman Begins instead of being the stand alone film that it is.
[alot of speculation in this post as I haven't seen the film, maybe Raas is in it, Bob did mention special Cameos did he not?]
Ra's al Ghul. It's a weird name.

He actually isn't "immortal." He has to be put in a Lazarus Pit to be brought back to life and when someone does that to you, you lose more and more of your mind. Plus this Ra's was in more of an Asian area where the Ra's from the comics is from the Middle East where most of the pits are located.

I don't want to spoil for you with your speculation, so keep speculating.

(side note: Jesus Christ I'm a Batman nerd.)
You say that like you're ashamed of it. This is the internet. Be proud of your Batman knowledge!

godofslack

May 8, 2011
I mean the mild spoiler Bob isn't surprising in the slightest. It's Bane's only notable action, he broke the bat. Having Bane not break the Batman is like not having an insane joker, it's who he is. I would of preferred other villains namely Poison Ivy and Mister Freeze, mostly because they aren't one trick ponies, but alas no luck.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Superman trailer was weird, it had the song that played during the scene following Gandalfs death in Fellowship. WEIRD.

I thought the movie was great, and I won 20 bucks because my friend bet me that Bane would break Batman's back at the END of the movie. lololololololol

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
DKR was much better Than the Dark Knight, which is saying something considering I love me some Dark Knight. I saw none of the flaws that Bob did, really. In fact, the mid-movie event that he claimed to break the flow was one of the best things they could have done. The rise is to become to Bat again. The second is to become more than the Bat, which is what this movie was about.

I think Bob's fanboy is showing.

CharlesA

Nov 8, 2009
I'd written a whole thing on how dumb it was to compare it to Avengers, but then I got tired. Dark Night Rises is a really great movie, watch it with love. If you go in expecting to be disappointed, you probably are going to find things to disappoint you. Most of the time you get what you're looking for. Watching the review after the film, I feel like Bob basically set himself up to distrust the movie, maybe not to get burnt? I don't know. It is the best movie I've seen this year.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Huh, I didn't think it he would've been retired since the end of Dark Knight, I mean the ending made it seem like the big lesson was that it was his responsibility to continue being Batman despite being an unpopular figure, but I guess hero Gotham deserved but the one needed right now was more literal than I though.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the Dark Knight, mainly because it lacked the "chaotic (insane) evil" that the Joker brought, but it still managed to keep the noir-style-ish theme-ing going throughout the movie.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
You didn't miss much in the Superman trailer, Bob. There wasn't much to miss. Also, I'm so proud of you for not actually spoiling any of the twists this time! That had to be hard for you, for as much as you like telling us everything. Though, the mixed review definitely has it's claims. The movie was great in places, and sloppy in others. The sense of flow is like water turn to pudding to ice to water again--all over the place, inconsistent, and doesn't help you in the slightest. But, it is great where it's great, though.