Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

Dylalanine

Jul 17, 2012
Disagree. Completely disagree. This was a fantastic movie and I enjoyed it much more than the Dark Knight and the comic book-cheesy Avengers. The Avengers was much less substantive a movie than this one and even its sincere Iron Man character arc was trumped in DK Rises.

Bruce needing to relearn how to be Batman twice? Necessary--the first time he was much too atrophied and mediocre. He had to rise (yes, pun intended) to a massive challenge.

And additionally, the dearth of Joker's mention? The Joker's chaotic, devil-may-care Modus Operandi didn't have the same drive and focus as Bane's terrifying "Sympathy for Osama" ploy for Gotham's reckoning. I didn't miss Joker.

This was a satisfying end to the new Batman trilogy. I was on my seat's edge the entire movie.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
Just came back from seeing it. I think this was a really well put together review by moviebob and although I agreed on most points, I have a few disagreements but they are very minor. I can see where moviebob is coming from on them.

I'll leave out all the rest and just go to this one:

I totally was ok with batman having his "second" rising because to me it felt like he had come out of hiding too soon and wasn't ready or even prepared (his batman trademarked preparedness wasn't there to save him) for something we saw he couldn't handle. Even Alfred was furious that he had done something so stupid leaving Bane to get away.

Bane doing what he does best was explained later by what we find out was the purpose of his mask. He even says in the beginning of the movie that something like, "No one would take me seriously until I started to wear this." Turns out it was a twist on his source of strength

As a general thing for the rest of the movie in respect to the previous two, definitely a great film and stands on its own. I was worried that it had too much to up against but by the time it was over, I was not only impressed but greatly relieved. The film has a satisfying ending and is far from how The Dark Knight was and thankfully so. If it was too close to the previous one, it would've been a passive form of self-defeat. Instead it took a different direction in how Batman can save Gotham by him not being the only one to help. Isn't that the whole concept behind the Bat-Family? "I'm beginning to think he is more of an enterprise than a single individual" (something like that).

I gotta mention that my favorite part of the movie was how everything tied together so well. This movie showed how they had planned this all out from the start with callbacks and even interesting visually-symbolic callbacks to the previous movies. Some so subtle that they flat out showed one, I even heard someone go, "ah," when it happened.

Highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's not a letdown, it strives to do different things from the previous one with new conflicts and obstacles and succeeds.

Impending backlash on his recovery in the middle of the film. You know everyone who wants nitpick will use that and keep going back to that as their only ammunition.

Who else wouldn't mind a Nightwing movie? That ending had my friends realizing this might be our only chance for that.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Bob, I respect the hell out of you, don't get me wrong, I think you're an intelligent guy and I usually agree whole heartedly with your reviews.

But today, sir, you're wrong. You are simply wrong. The Dark Knight Rises was a brilliant film. Brilliant. And I want everyone to know you would be doing yourself an extreme disservice by taking this reviewer's word and having jaded expectations about the finale. Thematically, this movie is one of the richest I've ever encountered; the pacing is fine after about the first 20 mins, and the acting is truly phenomenal. There were so many twists and turns...my god, no movie has had me experience brick shitting emotional amazement like this movie (the ending is fucking golden). My friends and I literally spent an hour at the cinema after the film ended just talking about how well it was executed.

Seriously. There are few movies, hell, few works of media in general that have inflicted such a violently astounded reaction in me. Go see this movie. It is absolutely amazing.

Oct 22, 2011
Brad Shepard said:
You mean: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492 ? I don't know if it'll affect the sales, but there will surely be speculations connecting what's just happened to the plot of the movie(s).

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
MrCalavera said:
Brad Shepard said:
You mean: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492 ? I don't know if it'll affect the sales, but there will surely be speculations connecting what's just happened to the plot of the movie(s).
They are talking about a shootout scene.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Brad Shepard said:
Anyone think the sales of this movie will go down now because of the Aurora shooting?
Possibly. I mean, the movie had to be a really huge disappointment if he went that far.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Farther than stars said:
We all knew it was impossible for it to live up to expectations. Maybe if they'd used the Riddler and Catwoman as antagonists... but Bane just doesn't come off as a top-tier Batman villain. Bottom line, they were never going to top Heath Ledger as the Joker.
They could of topped it with Johnny Depp being the Riddler, that would of been epic, but we all know Bane is never the brains behind what goes on, he is the muscle, or at least should be :p

But meh, they tried something new, didn't work, it happens! At least bob said the film was at least good.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Oooh forgot to mention, we will see more Batman films, maybe not in this trilogy, but remember we have the Justice League Films coming in 2014/2015

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
Poison Ivy maybe, and as i and others have stated, A Johnny Depp Riddler would of been epic.

Clayface maybe, but i don't think he fits with Nolan's style in these films.

Penguin could of been awesome. But meh, We are stuck with Bane, here is hoping that in the enxt set of films, we see Killer Croc.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Worst. Superman. Trailer. EVER.

Seriously bob, you didn't miss much, just watch the first 40 minutes of Batman Begins and you'll catch the gist of the trailer.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Alright. I need to carefully navigate around this post to where I won't get banned.

Let's see what I can do.

Bob. Stop it. I understand there is such thing as opinions, but when was the last time you reviewed a movie that managed to surpass your insane expectations? What movie did you watch here?

This movie legitimately blows Batman Begins out of the water. In ever way, shape, and form.

I personally thought it was better than the The Dark Knight, seeing as how Ledger's rendition of the Joker pretty much was the thing that pushed that movie from "good" to "great". But getting a second opinion on it (might wanna try that someday, you could sure as hell use it), they were either unsure, or still insisted that the previous film was a bit better.

This is the ending that the series deserved. It was almost too much to hope for, but it did it. I went in with high expectations, and I came out more than satisfied.

As well as every single other person in that theater, who genuinely cared enough about the movie to buy tickets to the midnight launch. It's now Avengers or Batman, just as there was Trekkies vs. Star Wars.
Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
Farther than stars said:
We all knew it was impossible for it to live up to expectations. Maybe if they'd used the Riddler and Catwoman as antagonists... but Bane just doesn't come off as a top-tier Batman villain. Bottom line, they were never going to top Heath Ledger as the Joker.
Once you get past the weird and shocking voice that they had to re-dub, it's pretty impressive how well they adapted Bane for this. It's no Joker, and there really never will be another Joker. But the first half of the movie with Bane is superb. It's just as much his movie as the previous one was Joker's.

I need to leave this thread before I decide to take it upon myself to insist to everyone that's having second thoughts.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Gennadios said:
Worst. Superman. Trailer. EVER.

Seriously bob, you didn't miss much, just watch the first 40 minutes of Batman Begins and you'll catch the gist of the trailer.
It was a teaser trailer, and a decent one at that. It was surprising to see how they were handling it.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I haven't seen the movie yet, it arrives only next Friday here in let-down land (Brazil), I've got tickets to saturday, not Friday so I MIGHT, just MIGHT, escape the horde of teenager lunatics that insist on making jokes throughout the whole movie.
Well, what the frak is going on here MovieBob??? Lately I'm realizing something disturbing about your criticism: maybe you're just and extreme fan-boy. I say this because you put The Avengers on the top of the world, and sincerely, it's a good movie, but that's all it is, it's entertaining, didn't blow my mind away, but I didn't expect that either, so ok, nice movie, nothing much, the theatre nowadays is full of movies that have that effect (on me at least), I'll surely clap hands because doing a SUPER HERO movie that does that IS indeed a feat that proves the director's abilities. But what I find strange is that, wow, MovieBob would give it an Oscar if he could.
Batman The Dark Knight Rises: I'm not expecting much, I sure as hell don't expect it to be better than The Dark Knight (which I'm fascinated by), but I do think it will be better than Batman Begins (which was great at first, but then as you watch it again and again it becomes pretty weak). However, I've seen other reviews, from big folk, and they all loved it and many levels, and what is strange is, the things they loved the most is what MovieBob said aren't spectacular; for instance, I've seen a lot of praise on Tom Hardy's Bane, saying that the actor did a wonderful job expressing his feelings merely through his eyes, that Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman finally got to shine as a great character (since so far he was sorta led by the villains) and that, well, the story was damn impressive, giving the series the closure it deserved (although there seems to be a few plot holes), making Nolan's Batman trilogy the best super hero series ever. And then there are the reviews that went deep into the philosophical aspects that the characters bring hidden inside them.
It seems to me that MovieBob is sort of a fan boy for this kind of thing, setting his standards so high they actually become hazardous to his criticism. What I'm saying is: hey, I really HATE everything Lord of the Rings, but were I to review the movies or book, I WOULD praise it, because it deserves the praise. I think MovieBob is letting his feelings get in the way of his professional view...

steampunk42

Nov 18, 2009
im ok with this. I never expected it to be better than the Dark Knight. that being said, when bob says a movie is ok and that he "enjoyed it" im fine with that since my tastes are significantly lower. example: i thought the Postman was an ok film.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
SamStar42 said:
shadowmagus said:
SamStar42 said:
Gives a 'mild' spoiler warning.

Proceeds to tell the mid-film twist. Fucking hell Bob.
Which mid-film twist? That Bane breaks the Bat?

OT: This isn't a surprise. I expected it would be a good movie, but it wouldn't be as good as TDK and possibly even not as good as BB. Still, it'll get my money, if even for one show.
I've read about eight reviews. NONE OF WHICH stated that.

It's a dickmove. It might not be seen as a massive shock, but when he says 'i have to explain the plot' I didn't think he'd fucking go that far, considering that again, NO OTHER REVIEW has had to say that. Bob has pissed me off before but this is a new level.
This happened in the comics though, as a poster after this points out. It's literally Bane's biggest claim to Batman villain fame and was a huge plot point in the Batman canon. Personally, I felt it would have been more of a twist (and a disappointing one mind you) if something like this had not happened.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
Sexy Devil said:
Spoilered the big stuff in this post, not really any spoiler in my opinion are in the open but still if you want to know nothing about the movie then look away.

Just on the Bruce learning to be Batman again in the second act, can I just say I don't think that's what was happening. He fully admitted that he was completely prepared to die in the battle for Gotham while in that pit, but it never even occurred to him that he could die any other way until what's his face pointed it out. Seems more like the pit was doing double duty of reminding him that Batman wasn't just a thing about thrill seeking, and that he has an identity beyond Batman, which he had clearly forgotten in this movie. He got invested in the idea that he is Batman, when it was meant to be an incorruptible symbol and the pit set him straight. Hence why ENDING SPOILERS
He ran away with Selina after the bomb detonated, with John taking up the mantle.

So in my opinion it wasn't an unnecessary retreading of ground.

I disagree with the Bane stuff, the Selina romance, etc but really I doubt anyone cares about me arguing characterisation. I will say that the twist gave Bane's character all kinds of levels of depth (though I thought he was good before it).

Honestly I thought it was the best of the trilogy. Everything about it was just holy shit, they actually topped TDK to me. But to each their own, at least you weren't trying to hate it. Personally I held back the overpowering urge to piss just so I wouldn't miss a moment and I did it with a smile.

Also the Cillian Murphy cameo was nothing but awesome.
I agree completely with this. I absolutely loved the movie. I loved Bane as a villain. Every single line he had was solid fucking gold and he just fucking felt menacing. I loved John Blake and the way his character evolved. I loved the ending. I loved the scene on the football field. I have never been more satisfied by a movie before.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
arc1991 said:
Oooh forgot to mention, we will see more Batman films, maybe not in this trilogy, but remember we have the Justice League Films coming in 2014/2015
I dread that soooooo much. Remember that Justice League "movie" that already exists? Look for it, it's so awful everyone should see it. It works kinda like a reality show (YES, you read it right), and I remember and overweight Flash in the most piss-poor imitation of costume discussing "Big Brother style" (the reality show) about how cool it is to be part of Justice League... So-Sad...
Obviously this Justice League would a big production and all but... I don't like the way it works in the comics already, plus the DC movie that really worked so far was Nolan's Batman, and I dare say Tim Burton's version was pretty fun, but that's all.
Well I didn't expect The Avengers to amount to anything good, and it was pretty entertaining, so I hope I'm wrong, on the other hand, I always expect some good out of the X-Men movies, and although they were all fun, they were also frustrating... Geez there's sooooo untaped potential for a good X-Men movie..