Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
My friend and I saw this last night and I'm glad I didn't go see it on my own as I would have walked out (and he said the same thing to me). I consider myself as having a relatively high tolerance for a slow build in films (sat through 2001 and enjoyed it) but the first act dragged like crazy and at no point was I able to really care about any of the characters. Thankfully the referential act 2 and the fantastic act 3 made up for it but barely.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
xaszatm said:
Okay, I need to ask this. In what part of the review did Moviebob say that the film was bad? I watched it twice just to make sure I heard him correctly. He had problems with a few points but said that he liked a lot of the movie. What is with you people lately? Now it just seems that Bob cannot have an opinion that is different from yours.

Heck, I DIDN'T like the Dark Knight Rises. I thought it was a very good film, but it didn't feel like a Batman movie to me. Like Bob says, I thought that this was two separate movies that happened at the same time.
Zing said:
But he liked the movie...he even recommended that everyone go see it. He was just critiquing the problems(I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if he's on the money), which is what a reviewer is suppose to do.
to both of you: yes, he said go see it. He then spent the next 5 minutes constantly saying it was a complete let down. MovieBob can be quoted as "this is coming off much more negatively than i would want". MovieBob did not enjoy this movie. He listed all it's faults, he didn't like the overall quality, and in the end it was the most grating "people should see this" that could be ripped from him.

at the end of the day i don't know what MovieBob expected, (I doubt he could tell me that in any detail), but this wasn't it, and even though it was a great movie, far deeper than the avengers, becuase it didn't conform to whatever mystical goals MovieBob expected it to reach, he spent 90% of his review slagging it off.

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
I personally loved Bane. He is probably now one of my favorite all time movie villains.

What is the classic line that Bob speaks upon from kingdom come?

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
This is the review I've read so far that best matches my feelings about TDKR (although I would argue that the running time makes it even harder to forgive the myriad flaws).

I'd like to defend Bob. I don't agree with many of his opinions, but I always respect them. He is a student of film, forever willing to refer to cultural history to back up his points. It's disappointing to see some people attacking his ability as a critic just because he's constructed an argument contrary to their own.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
feeqmatic said:
I personally loved Bane. He is probably now one of my favorite all time movie villains.

It's when

Catwoman vanishes when Batman turns his back after saving her from getting killed. He says "so that's what it feels like."

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Mr_Jellyfish said:
If it's not as good as The Avengers, then we're in trouble! I finally got round to seeing The Avengers and while it's not offensive in the way a Michael Bay movie is, it was a pile of rubbish. I honestly don't see what anyone liked about it, it was a mess of a movie. My expectations are significantly lowered for Dark Knight Rises!
Careful, some people might actually call you a troll for saying that the Avengers was anything but the best movie of the summer.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
May as well have called it the Catwoman movie.

It had her kicking far more ass than Batman did.

The Dark Knight Rises really couldnt have dissapointed me more.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Tono Makt said:
Careful, some people might actually call you a troll for saying that the Avengers was anything but the best movie of the summer.
Avengers was anything but the best movie of the summer. :)

PS: no troll-calling followed. The way is safe.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
SonOfVoorhees said:
Bane is just not an interesting character to have in a Batman movie. I think the best villains are those that can fight Batman on a more mental level. After playing the Arkham Asylum/City games you make even the crazy characters more realistic and able to fit in the Nolan universe.
It is a true testament to how HORRIBLY Bane has been portrayed outside of comics that statements like this can be made without a hint of irony...

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Aiddon said:
feeqmatic said:

It's when

Catwoman vanishes when Batman turns his back after saving her from getting killed. He says "so that's what it feels like."
Had a feeling it'd be that. The only other great Batman line I can remember in Kingdom Come was "You're pregant." which wouldn't work here very well..

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Having gone to see after watching this review and then rewatching the review having seen it, I would have to disagree with a number of points about the Bane character not working etc but I would like to primarily contest Moviebob's assertion that Batman Begins was better than this - I've seen BB once or twice but I only remember it being a rather forgettable and mediocre movie - I might need to watch it again sometime.

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Honestly I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. That being said I did go in to watch it with no hopes at all because the Dark Knight was outstanding and unfairly hard to beat. I was honestly surprised at Anne Hatheway's performance though, I thought she was fucking ace as Catwoman.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Enjoyed this movie immensely, but I'm a big, big fan of pretty much everyone involved. I can appreciate some of the criticisms in a broad sense, but I felt it really tied things up for the trilogy about as well as it could.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Sorry Bob, going to disagree with you on this one. Sure, it didn't beat the second, but I wasn't expecting it to. Overall, it was quite the great movie, worked very well overall and was a pretty satisfying conclusion to the series.

And it's a far better movie than the Avengers, although that wasn't so difficult for a Nolan batman movie to accomplish.

So basically, as a pretty big Batman fan, I'm quite satisfied.

fubaring0

Apr 30, 2011
Anne Hathaway was awful they shot around the fact she couldn't do any fighting at all and she is very inconsistent. Over all entertaining but not as good as Dark Knight but not as bad as Return of the Jedi. Also batman didn't rise in the middle he came back for a selfish reasons.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
HotFezz8 said:
xaszatm said:
Okay, I need to ask this. In what part of the review did Moviebob say that the film was bad? I watched it twice just to make sure I heard him correctly. He had problems with a few points but said that he liked a lot of the movie. What is with you people lately? Now it just seems that Bob cannot have an opinion that is different from yours.

Heck, I DIDN'T like the Dark Knight Rises. I thought it was a very good film, but it didn't feel like a Batman movie to me. Like Bob says, I thought that this was two separate movies that happened at the same time.
Zing said:
But he liked the movie...he even recommended that everyone go see it. He was just critiquing the problems(I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if he's on the money), which is what a reviewer is suppose to do.
to both of you: yes, he said go see it. He then spent the next 5 minutes constantly saying it was a complete let down. MovieBob can be quoted as "this is coming off much more negatively than i would want". MovieBob did not enjoy this movie. He listed all it's faults, he didn't like the overall quality, and in the end it was the most grating "people should see this" that could be ripped from him.

at the end of the day i don't know what MovieBob expected, (I doubt he could tell me that in any detail), but this wasn't it, and even though it was a great movie, far deeper than the avengers, becuase it didn't conform to whatever mystical goals MovieBob expected it to reach, he spent 90% of his review slagging it off.
...what? So, because there were a lot of nitpicks, he couldn't have liked the movie? Critics to that all the time. It is completely possible to point out a billion flaws in a movie and still enjoy it. Heck, Spiderman 3 is one of my favorite movies and I (and probably you) could write you multiple thesis on the problems of that movie Also, why shouldn't we have high standards for this movie? It's the finale to the Nolan's Batman Trilogy and the sequel to The Dark Knight. Both were VERY good films and The Dark Knight brought a new standard to superhero movies. It SHOULD be put up to a higher standard because of this.

Another thing, how is this any more "deep" than the Avengers. Now, don't get me wrong, The Avengers is NOT deep. At all. But, neither is The Dark Knight Rises. It certainly SOUNDS deep, but is there really any underlining message here? That isn't screwed over by the story itself?

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Considering I hated The Dark Knight, it was pretty much what I expected.

Was nothing in the start, was uninteresting in the middle... did have an ok ending. Had a lot of closure.

Every scene between Batman and *Finger Quote* Bane *End Finger Quote* sounded like 2 Blenders full of gravel. Luckily Banes motivation and actions were so stupidly textbook that you didn't really need to understand what he was saying.

Rragnaar

Dec 23, 2008
The sad part about this whole movie isn't that they missed on so many levels. The sad part is that this sets up a movie using Blake as Robin at the end. The fact that they call this the end of a legend and are almost obviously using this to set up the next giant trilogy is well annoying and insulting.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Could someone explain the significance of that quote for those unfamiliar with Kingdom Come?