Escape to the Movies: The Grey

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Neat to hear that a movie worth watching is coming out. That doesn't mean I'll watch it though cause it's a pretty iffy genre but it's nice to know it's good.

Of course Chuck Norris doesn't need swear words, he IS a swear word.

danyy2009

Dec 6, 2010
For some reason the video only loads untill around the middle of it, and then gets stuck =/.

dennett316

Jun 30, 2010
Very nice...been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer. I love these kinds of films, The Edge with Anthony Hopkins is another good one.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
pbbt, The Expendable once again fucks up at the ONE thing it needs to get right. Hopefully this bombs because we don't need another entry in "Washed-Up 80s Hacks: The Movie"

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I want to see your face.
Feel hands in mine...
its lines like that (although cheesy) that made me consider seeing this movie and it was bob who made it a definite

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
It has Liam Neeson in it, so I was going to watch it anyway. But still, nice to know that my faith in my favourite actors is well placed (it was a little shaky after Unknown, but the Grey sounds like an exceptional return to form)

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm glad you mentioned it's not Taken with Wolves since that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I noticed an age Liam Neeson in an action role.

As for that Chuck Norris news, that concerns me because it may hinder the OTT nature the film should go for. The Expendables 2 has a chance of being better than the first because sequels are typically more action-packed and stupid... something that was wrong with the first due to the lack of it.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
at the end of the movie Samuel L Jackson shows up and recruits him for the Avengers movie.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Wait, so you don't want to say which scene made you shut your eyes, but you put the footage in anyway? Yeah that makes sense.

Also, it sort of makes me a sad panda that wolves are recruited as the 'villains'. Y'know, because they don't really do stuff like that in real life and have been hunted to near extinction in plenty of parts of the worlds because of that nonsenical bad reputation.

But that's the tiny bit of hippy inside me talking, still looks like a cool movie. Heh, cool.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I think its beginning to dawn on me just how subjective (and therefore kinda useless) movie criticism is, I really dont get Bob's fanboying over Carnahan- to me at least his movies are bland and uninteresting.

I mean I found A team boring, A Team shouldnt be boring.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Is it weird that what sold me is when you said to stay until after the credits? From what I've seen, the "after credits scene" is always used to push towards the next movie in a franchise. I'm curious as to how could this after credits scene is considering that, from the looks of things, this isn't the sort of movie that would (or could) ever warrant a sequel.
Cowabungaa said:
Wait, so you don't want to say which scene made you shut your eyes, but you put the footage in anyway? Yeah that makes sense.
I sincerely doubt that's the actual scene he was talking about.

EDIT:

Sandytimeman said:
at the end of the movie Samuel L Jackson shows up and recruits him for the Avengers movie.
OH DEAR GOD PLEASE YES.

Drazi

Apr 22, 2009
How did this not get a comparison to the late 90s wilderness survival thriller, The Edge?

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Matt King said:
did... he tie blades to his hands then charge at a wolf?
Looked like those small sample alcohol bottles that he broke after and served as makeshift claws.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Togs said:
I think its beginning to dawn on me just how subjective (and therefore kinda useless) movie criticism is, I really dont get Bob's fanboying over Carnahan- to me at least his movies are bland and uninteresting.

I mean I found A team boring, A Team shouldnt be boring.
Bob Chipman isn't a critic in the artistic or literary sense, he's a pundit. If you want to know what a real critic is & the vital role they play in the arts I suggest you read Peter Brook. This is an excerpt from The Empty Space [http://austintheatre.blogspot.com/2005/12/peter-brook-on-job-of-critic.html]. It's just a small quote, but it gives you an insight into what one of the world's most respected theatre & film practitioners views as the role of the critic.