Escape to the Movies: The Hangover 2

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
Deadheart said:
ICantBelieveItGoesBoom said:
I couldn't disagree more with this review. the transsexual scene is absolutely nothing like what you made it out to be, the joke was that the character had had sex with the transsexual and (since he wasn't gay) he wasn't exactly happy with that.

It's not homophobic in any way and the transsexual character is portrayed as a normal person as far as I could see.

To be honest I think you went into this movie looking for things to nitpick at and you couldn't find anything except that it has the same basic plot (which is referenced many times over to show that the writers are aware of that) so you had to extrapolate everything many times over to fill out the review.
Man, You stated it great. Every time I hear one of Bob's reviews, It seems like hes just bashing on it, and I know hes a FILM CRITIC, But seriously? At least he could try to be funny about it, instead of TRYING to sound like an ass.

"THIS MOVIE SUCKS, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME"
Movie Bob would like to apologise to you for having an opinion. He has since changed his original rating of the hangover 2 to a six out of five and will now run all his opinions of films by you, to make sure that they are 'deadheart approved'.
We hope that you are satisfied by this change to the show.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Deadheart said:
See, Heres whats wrong, you are insulting people, calling them cattle, just because they like a movie that you don't like? Sounds pretty low, seems like you're doing all the hating here.
I basically enjoyed the first one, don't remember much of it. Maybe I just have a problem with having the same shit in a different box handed out every year. And what's especially rankling is that when someone has a dissenting opinion they get seen as a snob or just hating on people.
Not only is this sequel so lazy it has to steal jokes from other movies, it steals jokes from it's first movie! Edit: Oh yeah and they threw in a monkey for the Pirates of the Caribbean dollar.
If you want to reward these companies with your money, go ahead. But those movie execs have a way worse opinion of you than even I do. I'm trying to help. They just see you as easy income.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Fwee said:
Deadheart said:
See, Heres whats wrong, you are insulting people, calling them cattle, just because they like a movie that you don't like? Sounds pretty low, seems like you're doing all the hating here.
I basically enjoyed the first one, don't remember much of it. Maybe I just have a problem with having the same shit in a different box handed out every year. And what's especially rankling is that when someone has a dissenting opinion they get seen as a snob or just hating on people.
Not only is this sequel so lazy it has to steal jokes from other movies, it steals jokes from it's first movie! If you want to reward these companies with your money, go ahead. But those movie execs have a way worse opinion of you than even I do. I'm trying to help. They just see you as easy income.
Who cares if they stole from other movies? Thats like saying just because a game did it first, nobody else can do that. I enjoyed to first and seconds one, I'm just trying to say this

7$, Thats all it costs, go see the movie, if you don't like it, then forget it, its not a huge deal or something. I hate how Bob says a movie is crap and EVERYONE listens, refuses to even try to movie just because Bob doesn't like it, You talk about sheep? It seems like the people who follow Bob blindly are sheep as well

I like Bob, His older reviews were very well written and entertaining. But seriously? All this hate is killing the mojo.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
Fwee said:
I don't really understand all the negativity towards MovieBob on this one.
Maybe it's because people in the crowd can't stand to see someone with actual class and good taste demand something better. In a world of cattle grazing lazily from the fields of McDonald's and PepsiCo, the few who'd enjoy real sustenance get moo'ed into oblivion I guess.

Is it wrong to warn people that you're getting double-screwed by movie companies that are now fully open with their patronizing, "you'll watch anything and love us for it" attitude?

Cheap, out-of-date, "freak out" gags like I dunno, someone in the group realizing they slept with a half-dude? OH GOD, THAT'S SUCH A SHOCK I HAD TO LAUGH, RIGHT? Does anyone remember Bachelor Party? I know we're in the age of ADHD ruling all, and no one remembers two months ago, and basically advertising wants everyone to worship Next Week as their new god, but that was a movie starring Tom freaking Hanks. Someone has to remember what I'm writing about.

Keep fighting the good fight, Bob. You're a gem, and please don't break your arms trying to hold these horses' heads underwater until they remember how to drink.

This so much. I for one am glad that Bob wrote a really articulate and thoughtful review, from all aspects. I thought it was really well done, so kudos to Bob.

Wireframefool

Mar 20, 2011
I really liked the first one, hell, my grandmother liked it. That said, it's pretty sad that they couldn't come up with a different but still enjoyable movie by just making the movie again in a different place.
And seriously? A monkey? Why does everything trying to be funny add a monkey?

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
metroidgearsolid said:
Deadheart said:
ICantBelieveItGoesBoom said:
I couldn't disagree more with this review. the transsexual scene is absolutely nothing like what you made it out to be, the joke was that the character had had sex with the transsexual and (since he wasn't gay) he wasn't exactly happy with that.

It's not homophobic in any way and the transsexual character is portrayed as a normal person as far as I could see.

To be honest I think you went into this movie looking for things to nitpick at and you couldn't find anything except that it has the same basic plot (which is referenced many times over to show that the writers are aware of that) so you had to extrapolate everything many times over to fill out the review.
Man, You stated it great. Every time I hear one of Bob's reviews, It seems like hes just bashing on it, and I know hes a FILM CRITIC, But seriously? At least he could try to be funny about it, instead of TRYING to sound like an ass.

"THIS MOVIE SUCKS, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME"
Movie Bob would like to apologise to you for having an opinion. He has since changed his original rating of the hangover 2 to a six out of five and will now run all his opinions of films by you, to make sure that they are 'deadheart approved'.
We hope that you are satisfied by this change to the show.
Your sarcasm is wasted on me. I don't care if Bob hates the movies, It is what hes doing to the consumer, See, I think people should go see movies, and decide themselves if they like it, instead of following him like sheep. But hell, I can't talk any sense into fanboys. So why should I even try?

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Grevensher said:
Do I have a problem with a company making money?

No.

The reason it is a cash in is because people pay to see it because they want to see it. It is people like bob that have it in their minds eye that they are cattle droning along. Pretentious! (And I have spread my cheeks for the odd exec or two, but I guarantee not an inch was nasty).

All I want bob to do is to be a indie reviewer and bring attention to the good films and why they are good instead of feeding media attention of horrible films. The good films exist, but who will know they do?

This film for example:http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bill_cunningham_new_york_2010/movie_times/11416
I wholeheartedly agree that I'd rather have Bob review good movies. Maybe he got this one forced on him and he's sick of having to put up with rehashed bullshit. Maybe he's realized that reviewing good movies does absolutely fuck-all to keep bad movies from taking all the money. Maybe it's time for a weekly "Watch this; Don't watch this" column.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Grevensher said:
Who cares if they stole from other movies? Thats like saying just because a game did it first, nobody else can do that. I enjoyed to first and seconds one, I'm just trying to say this

7$, Thats all it costs, go see the movie, if you don't like it, then forget it, its not a huge deal or something. I hate how Bob says a movie is crap and EVERYONE listens, refuses to even try to movie just because Bob doesn't like it, You talk about sheep? It seems like the people who follow Bob blindly are sheep as well

I like Bob, His older reviews were very well written and entertaining. But seriously? All this hate is killing the mojo.
I don't need to see this movie. I saw it the first time. And I didn't need MovieBob to point it out. I saw the title "The Hangover Part 2" and knew exactly what level of shitty it was. It's a sequel with absolutely nothing to add.
If you enjoyed it, I'm 100% thrilled for you. But don't act like just because someone else doesn't like it means that they've affronted your God. It's a difference of opinion, and people have a right to their opinion, and my opinion is that your opinion is completely head-up-your-ass worthless and you have no right to your opinion.
And I'm adding an emoticon to show that I'm telling jokes at your expense ;)
He's winking!

hitheremynameisbob

Jun 25, 2008
almostgold said:
In the slightly re-worded words of Jon Stewart:

Thanks for pronouncing 'upper-middle class' the same way one would pronounce 'dildo'.

Same goes for 'bro movie'. Seriously, I'm just watching these reviews now to laugh at how big of a doucher Moviebob is. He constantly rails against things like homophobia and racism, which is perfectly fine. The regular 'Republican approach' to those subjects is just as disgusting as Moviebob believes, and he's rightfully outraged. But you know what I consider even worse? Saying you're against bigotry and pretending to be compassionate, so (you believe) other groups will think you're unlike those other white, well-off people, while simultaenously being just as bigoted against other groups. Specifically, reliogous people, southern people, and white people. Remember when he railed on 'The Blind Side'? Why? Because its main characters were the ideals of the strong, independent, Southern woman with Christian values? Thats some people Moviebob, they're not any worse or better than you, they're just different, and that's okay. What about 'Book of Eli'? One of you're biggest complaints was your belief that the premise of carrying a Bible was stupid. Why? Some people consider that book to be more important than any other, because its spiritual effect on society is more important than another books scientific knowledge would be. I'm not one of those people, neither are you. But they're allowed to have a movie about what they believe, and you can't objectivly declare that stupid.

You're just as bigoted, prejudiced, and wrong as that scene in The Hangover Part II

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/6858-The-Bland-Side

I encourage you to go read his Intermission where he discusses his opinion of The Blind Side in detail, because he does absolutely nothing like what you've suggested he does. His criticisms are based on its blandness and over-reliance on cliches, and its blatant "spam-ness." He doesn't say one word about the film being bad because it had a certain type of person in it - you're confusing this with his real complaint, which is that it's targetted at that type of person in a clear money-grab. He's not saying that those people are bad, just that compromising the artistic merit that a film could have had to pander to that audience (or any audience, really - it's just that this one is especially profitable) is bad. That doesn't make him a hypocrite or a bigot. I'm sure he'd agree that it's possible to portray a white, Christian, strong woman, whatever in a convincing, meaningful way. He just doesn't think that's what The Blind Side did. I'm not willing to spend any more time on this, so I won't touch the Book of Eli, but I'm willing to bet that there's a similar thing going on there.

To put it simpler, you can criticize a film for the way it uses a Bible without criticizing the Bible itself, and you can criticize a film for pandering to a certain audience without criticizing that audience. You're misinterpreting his critiques.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Grevensher said:
Don't know what happened there, but I didn't write more than half of that quote, and I agree that hangover 2 probably isn't good. I'm just sick of seeing reviews for high profile films Bob dislikes when it gets announced in pre-production.
You're right. My computer screwed up the text in another quote somehow.
But I'm not going to go in and edit it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Hunh, my Radio DJ said the same think on his blog:

<spoiler=Quote by Mark><quote=Mark Madden>One review says "Hangover 2" may be the BEST SEQUEL EVER.

Maybe we'd better ask Francis Ford Coppola, then watch "Godfather 2" again.

"Hangover 2" opened last night to $31.7m worth of ticket revenue nationwide, so obviously it's going to be HUGE. It's just as obviously going to SUCK. Hollywood doesn't try to make good movies anymore. Hollywood tries to make BLOCKBUSTERS. "Hangover 2" is going to be a Xerox of the original. Same jokes, altered punchlines.

One local multi-screen theatre is showing "Hangover 2" 24 times per day. Maybe they want to maximize sales before word spreads that it SUCKS. And Zach Galafawhozis just ISN'T FUNNY. God, entertainment is at SUCH A LOW.

Then again, I liked "Get Him to the Greek."

still, that monkey is probably the most awesome thing of the movie. His wardrobe gives him that alone.

So it sounds like its time to see Iron Man again.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
The fable at the start kinda start nice but kinda became a dud because

-Kinda don't even try to be a fable

-drag on a bit too much

I know bob try to give something of a spin to a rather oblivious point that has been told many before, just didn't work

however the rest of the review was quite good

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Deadheart said:

I don't need to see this movie. I saw it the first time. And I didn't need MovieBob to point it out. I started following him on this site because after watching several of his reviews I found that I share many of the opinions on movies and television that he expresses. I'd be doing what he's doing if I could do it as well as him. Too bad I'm usually busy screaming.
I saw the title "The Hangover Part 2" and knew exactly what level of shitty it was. It's a sequel with absolutely nothing to add.
If you enjoyed it, I'm 100% thrilled for you. But don't act like just because someone else doesn't like it means that they've affronted your God. It's a difference of opinion, and people have a right to their opinion, and my opinion is that your opinion is completely head-up-your-ass worthless and you have no right to your opinion.
He's winking!

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
almostgold said:
What about 'Book of Eli'? One of you're biggest complaints was your belief that the premise of carrying a Bible was stupid.

May I just point out that it's not JUST the fact that's it's the bible, it's the fact that the bible (that was in braille I might add) was a MacGuffin (if you don't what that mean I would suggest google). It's a bible that written in a language understood by very few people nowadays, kill off 90% of the population of the planet and that's leaves very few people who can make actual use of it. I have no issues that the MacGuffin in question was a bible, it's just the fact that out of ALL the possible items you could give to Eli to move the plot along you picked a bible....IN BRAILLE!

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Fwee said:
Deadheart said:

I don't need to see this movie. I saw it the first time. And I didn't need MovieBob to point it out. I started following him on this site because after watching several of his reviews I found that I share many of the opinions on movies and television that he expresses. I'd be doing what he's doing if I could do it as well as him. Too bad I'm usually busy screaming.
I saw the title "The Hangover Part 2" and knew exactly what level of shitty it was. It's a sequel with absolutely nothing to add.
He's winking!
Insult me some more, Go ahead, Prove my point, that you are just a sheep who BLINDLY defends Bob.

I never insulted people who didn't like the movie, If you didn't like the movie good for you. No big deal. I liked the movie, that makes my opinion useless right? Just because YOU don't agree with me.