Escape to the Movies: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
"The Middle-Earth High Council of Exposition"

I have GOT to find a context for that, because it is just too good to lose to antiquity.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I enjoyed it.
Only small negative comments is that the passing of the first 45mins feels too slow. You start to worry that the film will be a lot of talking as you're aware that it's a short story split into 3.

I also found the structure of this film to be similar to The Fellowship. I can draw 3 comparisons:

Mountain Storm Giant Battle Peril Snowy Avalanche scene caused by Saroman.
Goblin Halls Ruined Great Dwarven City
Climatic Battle with the Uberorcs Climatic battle with the orcs

The Hobbit proving himself arc did feel slightly annoying and a little in-your-face.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
The Hobbits were always the entire point of LOTR. There's an ongoing theme that even the smallest and most unassuming of things can wield great power and integrity, a description that fits both the One Ring and the Hobbits themselves. In LOTR every one of the four Hobbits did something brave and entirely unexpected for one of their race. Then again, that's not exactly going to change your enjoyment of them if you're already predisposed to finding their race rather dull. Just thought I'd drop it into the discussion all the same :3
Yes that theme was obvious, and quite well done with Frodo and Sam. Everything beyond them however was annoying, and extremely unnecessary. And I would disagree they were the whole point, a lot of the important moments of the films had nothing to do with Hobbits, if anything it felt like they were tossed into a bunch of moments that could've easily been accomplished without them. Really they already had the slot of main hero and important sidekick that kept him going, anything after that was just overkill. Of course this is all more likely the fault of the personalities of the other 2, who seemed determined to be as annoying and useless as possible. But they seemed to represent how a "average" hobbit acts, compared to the exceptional Frodo and Sam, so that's might also explain my predisposition.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Dammit, now I'm more curious about what movie Bob thought was "Too Damn Long"!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I, for one, am hoping parts 2 and 3 really help this trilogy live up to LotR.

Why?

Because, like it or not, they're inextricably linked at this point. While the Star Wars prequels (to name one example of an after-the-fact prequel trilogy that don't live up to the promise of their predecessor sequels) may be safely discarded and the original three may stand on their own, the value and quality of "Star Wars" as a whole is still dragged down by the inferior three. The same could happen here, easily.

Added to this is the fact that we're not going to get another chance at this particular series. Like it or not, this is the (one and only) Hobbit movie(s) to be tied to the existing Lord of the Rings trilogy; if it fails, and they make a new one later on, there will be no sense of continuity between it and the original LOTR (which, I am positing, simply cannot be bested or even equaled in a remake).

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
You just spent two minutes telling us how An Unexpected Journey wasn't The Lord of the Rings. Two minutes of a five minute review. Then you spent the next three minutes telling us it stood up on its own merits and was a genuinely enjoyable film.

Why did you even bother with the first two minutes...? The fact that you felt compelled to compare it to its predecessor as though it was relevant in any way beyond "Oh yeah, this is a prequel trilogy", merely confuses your message.

On another, more relevant note - I saw it earlier. I loved it. It didn't feel too long to me - hell I was wanting more when the credits rolled. But I will definitely feel the length when it comes to watching it on DVD. I always do.
A couple of things - the conversation between Gandalf and Radaghast felt like two 'divine' beings meeting on a rare occasion. Maybe because there are just five wizards. Or were. I forget. But there was most definitely that.
The dwarves were amusing. It was like having my Scottish family over. Except the dwarves have better singing voices - Which I would buy an album of, by the way.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

MovieBob gives us some insight regarding Peter Jackson's latest low budget extravaganza.

Watch Video
Why all the hate on lens flare? We've been stuck with measly 3-point lighting for how long now? So now we have the key light, the fill light, the backlight, and the Clumsy Idiot With a Flashlight Wandered Onto the Set light.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Many of the early negative reviews seemed to me to be simply for the reason that it's more entertaining to write a review where the hero, (in this case Sir Peter Jackson,) fails than if he succeeds. I mean look what Bob said here; it's very good but it's not ground-breaking Lord of the Rings good - which is all anyone can ask of it. But who wants to be the measured guy when it's so much more fun to say that the geek hero has been felled by his own hubris.

So many of the criticisms just seemed to confirm all the concerns that were floating around the movie before it was even seen which suggested to me that these people went to the film with certain expectations. They expected that the 48fps would make things look unconvincing and expected that with the short book now divided in three it would be too slow-paced. Funny that.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Going to see this on Sunday with my mom and dad. They don't have any non-3D versions anywhere near me and 3D gives me the worlds biggest migraine so normal version for me.

Sugarman101

Jan 8, 2011
HBaskerville said:
The only reason to add 2 movies worth of extraneous material is to get more cash.
Or you know, because he actually wanted to see the other material on screen. It's easy to accuse someone of money grubbing, but unless you're friends with Jackson and he told you that he was only in it for the cash, it's just baseless accusations.

The extra material (Erebor) that Jackson has used was actually from Tolkein reworking the story into more epic saga to go along side the Lord of the Rings, he viewed the original version of the Hobbit as someone taking an epic tale and turning it into a children's story, so one could take the view that this is the intended version.

I for one am happy that he took the opportunity to put it all up on the screen, it's the only way we're going to see it.

Edit: Bob, it was so nice to see a review that focused on the film itself, rather than the technology behind it. So far it's been a game of 'see how long the reviewer can go before turning the article into a 48fps rant.'

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Thyunda said:
A couple of things - the conversation between Gandalf and Radaghast felt like two 'divine' beings meeting on a rare occasion.
[HEADING=2]*Awoooga-Awoooga-Awoooga! Geek moment Alert! Geek moment Alert*[/HEADING]

In fact Gandalf, Saruman, and Radaghast--all the wizards--are Maia--lesser 'gods' (angels, really) who vary in power. Sauron was a Maia, as were all the Balrogs. The Valar, ie Tolkien's equivalent to Arch-Angels, were above the Maia, and the original Lord of Darkness Melkor, named Morgoth by the High Elf Feanor--who forged the Silmarils--was the first and (originally) the mightiest of Valar. Tolkien's equivalent to Lucifer.

Thyunda said:
Maybe because there are just five wizards. Or were. I forget. But there was most definitely that.
There were 3 others wizards--the blue wizards--all of whom are unnamed. All that is mentioned of them is that they went into the East (Sauron's direction) and were never seen or heard of again.

Sugarman101 said:
HBaskerville said:
The only reason to add 2 movies worth of extraneous material is to get more cash.
Or you know, because he actually wanted to see the other material on screen. It's easy to accuse someone of money grubbing, but unless you're friends with Jackson and he told you that he was only in it for the cash, it's just baseless accusations.

The extra material (Erebor) that Jackson has used was actually from Tolkein reworking the story into more epic saga to go along side the Lord of the Rings, he viewed the original version of the Hobbit as someone taking an epic tale and turning it into a children's story, so one could take the view that this is the intended version.

I for one am happy that he took the opportunity to put it all up on the screen, it's the only way we're going to see it.

Edit: Bob, it was so nice to see a review that focused on the film itself, rather than the technology behind it. So far it's been a game of 'see how long the reviewer can go before turning the article into a 48fps rant.'
Jackson loved the opportunity to return to Middle Earth and do the Hobbit. He's a FAN!!!

For the cynics here's how it went down: They had originally planned on making the Hobbit a 2 part series, but the story and film he and his wrote and made was way too long for two movies, but too short for 3 movies. Eventually the decision was to go into all the cut scenes and "pad it out" to 3 movies.

I agree that it's nice to hear Bob call out a 'thumbs up'. Today I listened to the NPR movie reviewer give The Hobbit a shining review as well.

Frankly I suspect that the Star Wars Prequels have left all of Hollywood and "Movie Reviewer-dom" predisposed to group-pounce on The Hobbit or any other such 'prequels'.

Seriously--the fact that Bob has to go on for 2 minutes to make it clear that he's viewing The Hobbit as a movie in its own right rather than holding it up to LotR for comparison serves as confirmation to me that many if not most reviewers were poised to pounce.

"Gollum's voice sounds slightly different!!! Peter Jackson--YOU'VE DESTROYED MY CHILDHOOD!!!" *waaaaahhhhh*

That sort of thing.

*sigh*

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Just got back from seeing the midnight premier at my theater and I loved it. The acting is great, the action is great, the comedy is pretty good. Radagast The Brown was funny. I can't wait to see it again later today with a friend of mine.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
HBaskerville said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Shameless money grubbing? The film is not just the Hobbit, The reason it's over three films is that they are covering other events that go on at the same time, so more then one story in a sense. See it for yourself and you will know what I mean.
Adding material from other books to extend the length of the story to three movies is a money grab. The story of the Hobbit is complete and could be artfully done in one long film. The new fashion of drawing out movies to multiple parts (Potter, Twilight, etc) is nothing but a way to wring more dough from people pockets. Apologize for Jackson all you want, but the book is the book. Jackson shoving more stuff in from other sources just because he can is blatant. The only reason to add 2 movies worth of extraneous material is to get more cash.
I'm not apologizing for anyone. I'm just saying there is more purpose here then your usual quick cash grab. Sounds like you have an axe to grind for what ever reason. At least what is being included will add substance, not just faff about doing nothing half a film like some others do just to stretch it out.

The movie is one I liked, I'll probably like the others, if you don't, you don't.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
erttheking said:
THIRTEEN DWARFS! There are thirteen Dwarfs MovieBob, not twelve, thirteen. I haven't read the book in years and I know that, they always go on about how Bilbo ups the Dwarfs from thirteen to fourteen in order to avoid the unlucky number.

Also, you're worried about them running out of action for the next two movies? Five words. The Battle of Five Armies.

Ugh, nerd bitching aside, I'm glad to hear that the movie is actually pretty good.
Actually, the number of dwarfs and the pace and plot points changes depending on which version of the book you read, you see because the book "there and back again (the hobbit)" was written before Tolkien made "The Lord of The Rings" and he then made revisions to "there and back again (the hobbit)" to include more shit that is relevant to "The Lord of The Rings". Things such as instead of Bilbo being the only hobbit, hobbits then became an entire race of there own. So Nerd Rage all you like, but the story changes dependant on which revision of book you've read or which revision of wikipedia article you've dissected.

I don't remember the whole upping the dwarf count due to an unlucky number though, when I read the book I had total hotness for Smaug so I may have expunged that information out of my mind because I don't give a shit about the luck of a number (also I'm born on the 13th of may, like my father so I consider 13 to be an awesome number).

I went to see The Hobbit a few days ago, the only reason I went to see it is because my 16 year old cousin didn't want to go on his own, now I've read two versions of The Hobbit and I wasn't interested in this movie because its Peter Jackson (more on that later) and I thought it would be A FILM not A TRILOGY OF FILMS so I was dismayed that Smaug and a fight with him doesn't factor into it.

Also at the start of the film, Smaug is Red, at the end... he's blue... and next up is in spoilertastic spoiler quote tags just in case I spoil the next movie for people
Also in the book he's covered in gold, you know, the dwarf gold coins, kinda like an armoured death machine but this is my inner child talking cos as an eight year old SMAUG ROCKED THE HOUSE!

I found this film to be total Peter Jackson in Tolkien mode, mountains... as far as the eye can see... for about 20 minutes

Listen Peter Jackson, going "hey look at this mountain range covered in grass and moss and now look at this mountain range covered in snow and now look at that mountain range at the edge of the horizon that glows because its got dwarf gold in it" is not really exposition, its just a lot of mountains.

So after that wall of text, the film is OK, its not great, its watchable.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I'm not sure how I feel about the technology. The opening scene was kind of disappointing for how blurry it was and it was everything I hate about shaky cam, and I much preferred the stuntmen Uruk-Hai to the CGI goblins. Otherwise, the 3D was gorgeous.

In other news, I'm really glad they decided to include the Dol Guldur stuff. It makes sense, considering they are happening at the same time, and it definitely gives a lot more weight and perspective to the story as a whole.
For example, Thranduil looks like a shallow villain without it.

I agree that it kind of suffers because there's not as much of a sense of things being at stake, and it relies a lot on people knowing the appendices, etc.

For the record the blue wizards were named Alatar and Pallando in Valinor, we don't know their other names, and they kind of wander off and do their own thing. When Gandalf says "I don't even remember their names" in the movie I got a good laugh out of that.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
HBaskerville said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Shameless money grubbing? The film is not just the Hobbit, The reason it's over three films is that they are covering other events that go on at the same time, so more then one story in a sense. See it for yourself and you will know what I mean.
Adding material from other books to extend the length of the story to three movies is a money grab. The story of the Hobbit is complete and could be artfully done in one long film. The new fashion of drawing out movies to multiple parts (Potter, Twilight, etc) is nothing but a way to wring more dough from people pockets. Apologize for Jackson all you want, but the book is the book. Jackson shoving more stuff in from other sources just because he can is blatant. The only reason to add 2 movies worth of extraneous material is to get more cash.
You have read the book right?

You didn't question where Gandalf went? Or who the Necromancer was if he was defeated? Or why Bolg son of Azog was a bitter enemy of the dwarves?

The book while good skimped out alot of the world and various events to focus on Bilbo's adventure. Several of the examples I mentioned got maybe one or two sentences near the end of the story which really annoyed me when I was little.

Reducing the story to just one movie would cut out most of the world and leave a bare bones story, doing a massive dis-service to the world Tolkien created.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Bat Vader said:
Just got back from seeing the midnight premier at my theater and I loved it. The acting is great, the action is great, the comedy is pretty good. Radagast The Brown was funny. I can't wait to see it again later today with a friend of mine.
Same good movie and Bob nailed it. Its not as good as Lord of the Rings, but its still a great movie. My only complain is it becomes real evident that they used CGI in some scenes, but thats a very old complaint for a multitude of movies... aka just deal with it.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I can't be the only one who doesn't think "huge epic story" means better. I vastly prefer the smaller more focused story of The Hobbit(I haven't seen the new movie) to Lord of the Rings. I just like smaller stories that aren't about saving the world.

Keith_F

Mar 3, 2010
JaredXE said:
I hope you don't mean Les Miserables was too damn long, Bob. I think a two and a half hour musical is perfectly fine, especially if you're a theatre watcher like me.
Just what I was thinking. Les Mis is a long ass musical based on a long ass book, so two and half hours for the film seems ideal. Then again, there's no way of telling if this is what he's talking about (have they even started screening Les Mis to critics?), but that comment really left me scratching my head, trying to figure out what movie he could be talking about? Django perhaps? Maybe a movie from earlier in the year he plans to cover in a retrospective?

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Saw this last night (midnight showing) and just woke up. Over all it was pretty good. Much more intimate than LoTR somehow. I think the 48 fps adds to that somehow.