Escape to the Movies: The Kings Speech

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
The King's Speech was a good film that happens to push all the correct buttons. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

Trokil

Feb 4, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
I completely lost all trust for the Oscars when they ignored Tron: Legacy's soundtrack. Now, this explains why.
Thron: Legacy may have not been a very good movie. It was good but not great. But the soundtrack was by far the best of this year. That was some real bs ignoring that.

Brandon Lawrence

Feb 4, 2011
I must say that I disagree with Movie Bob on this one. I really liked the Kings Speech. I am not one of those peoples who feels I need to ridicule the reviewer for stating his opinion (that is what he?s paid to do after all) or someone who will use the baseless threat that ?I?ll never watch you?re show again? (because I will. I?m also sure that Movie Bob would not be losing any sleep over this fact even if it were true). It may be true that this film was made for the soul purpose of winning awards, however that does not take way from the fact it was a well written, well acted, and well directed piece. I?m sorry that it didn?t have any special effects or that James Cameron didn?t re-do the whole thing with blue monkeys but hey some people, not just old farts on Oscar?s voting committees, can indeed enjoy this film.

My disappointment is not so much that he didn?t like the film, but that he never actually reviewed the film, choosing instead to use it as a weapon to show how old and stupid the Oscar Voting Committee is/was because Avatar and Star Wars never won best picture. Which at this point doesn?t really make a lot of sense seeing as it?s only been nominated. It hasn?t won anything yet. Already you?re complaining that the Social Network deserved it more when it hasn?t actually lost anything. And what is his main complaint? They its typical Oscar fair? Why should that matter? The Fighter, which Movie Bob loved, has been widely acknowledged as this generations Rocky. Yet in his review he decided to over look that and review the Fighter on its own merit. One of that major complaints about Avatar is that it was Dances with Wolves with CGI people. Yet again, he decided to look past that and review it on its own merit. If you don?t like a film then tell us why. Don?t simply say it?s because it?s the same film that always wins Oscars and leave it at that. That?s not a review, that?s a whiny kid who is mad that no one understand the brilliance of James Cameron.

Again, I am not trying to be rude or to say that the review doesn?t know what he?s talking about, or that he is stupid or wrong because he didn?t like the film. I am simply stating an opposing opinion in as open minded a way possible (see. I watch the Big Picture to.) Thank you.

However I do need to be a nit picky nerd about one thing; in this review you showed a poster for the Elephant Man to make the argument that it was okay for the leading actor to be ugly if the disfigurement was extreme enough. This is true but I would ask for some slight verification. If you argument is that this is how to get nominated for an Oscar then I humbly withdraw this statement. If however your argument is that that is how you win an Oscar, I feel the need to remind you that while John Hurt was nominated for an Oscar for his role, he did not win. Why do I feel the need you might ask? Because I?m a picky nerd. That?s what we do.

Trokil

Feb 4, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
(both the Exorcist and Star Wars won and were nominated for multiple Oscars BTW)
The Exorcist won best Sound and the Lost in Translation/Yuno/Good Will hunting Best Script Oscar

And the only guy with some strange conspiracy theories is you. The Oscar bait joke is so old, everybody knows about them and the funniest thing is, that they are still working. Bob did nothing more than repeating it.

ahpuch

Mar 19, 2009
Wow Bob, your deep analysis exactly describes the recent winners of
- Hurt Locker
- Slum Dog Millionaire
- No Country for Old Men
- The Departed
- Crash
- Million Dollar Baby
- LotR: Return of the King
- Chicago
- Beautiful Mind
- Gladiator

Oh wait that second last one did have an illness that left the lead still looking handsome. I guess 1 for 10 is a pretty good score for you.

Look Bob, we get it. The fact that Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim weren't nominated is a travesty. There is no way that any movie ever made could compare. Lets move on.

With the 2nd to last Big Picture, I gave up on that content but professed my continued enjoyment of Escape to the Movies. This self indulgent-whine might make me have to rethink that choice.

Trokil

Feb 4, 2011
You still don't get it, don?t you?

Yes, the King's Speech was a good movie, but it did NOTHING 100 movies did not before and already won Oscars for exactly the same thing.

And Bob did not mention Scott Pilgrim at all but at least they tried something in that movie. That is WAAAAY more than they did in the King?s Speech. Oscars are incredible old fashioned just celebrating the same thing over and over again.

Perhaps that?s why nobody is watching anymore. And that a movie like King's Speech is nominated again and may even win is just sad.

ModDom

Nov 5, 2008
I love Moviebob, but I definitely disagree with this. It's a very good movie, and though I don't think it deserves an oscar or the numerous 5-star reviews it's getting, it doesn't deserve such harsh words from Bob.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I think I love you, MovieBob.

And I'm going to tell you why. I don't like movies much and I don't like mainstream American comics much. You are paid to talk about them (amongst other things). Yet you can tell exactly what I think is wrong with them.

I stopped paying attention to the Oscars long ago.

Trokil

Feb 4, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
Trokil said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
(both the Exorcist and Star Wars won and were nominated for multiple Oscars BTW)
The Exorcist won best Sound and the Lost in Translation/Yuno/Good Will hunting Best Script Oscar

And the only guy with some strange conspiracy theories is you. The Oscar bait joke is so old, everybody knows about them and the funniest thing is, that they are still working. Bob did nothing more than repeating it.
Hey, yeah man, what about them aliens in Rosswell? A joke so old, everybody knows about them and the funniest thing is, that they're still being denied! Nothing more than repeating what's commons knowledge.
Oh please just because Bob did not like a generic action movie some people have to troll him for everything he is saying?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Trokil said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Trokil said:
SpiderJerusalem said:

Hey, yeah man, what about them aliens in Rosswell? A joke so old, everybody knows about them and the funniest thing is, that they're still being denied! Nothing more than repeating what's commons knowledge.
Oh please just because Bob did not like a generic action movie some people have to troll him for everything he is saying?
Welcome to the net, people hold grudges FOREVER because there is no one able to physically SHUT THEM UP