Escape to the Movies: The Muppets

MSfire012

Jul 9, 2011
Awesome video as always Bob. One question: Why the Hell didn't you review The Tree of Life or Melancholia?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Now I demand reviews of Hugo and A Dangerous Method.

Also, who wants to guess we're gonna hear more bitching about Bob talking about a Nintendo franchise.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
MSfire012 said:
Awesome video as always Bob. One question: Why the Hell didn't you review The Tree of Life or Melancholia?
Because "The Muppets", man...
"The Muppets"!!!
OT, well-done Bob. It's never easy to review something you loved, and this was well-executed :)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I think that Hollywood could use a lot more "magic" these days
Welcome back guys I've missed you.
<youtube=jtWr7cdWCVY>
And the Muppets did the whole reunion thing themselves way before Country Bears
<spoiler= Granted, they were hardly washed up fogies at the time>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dd/Muppets_take_manhattan.jpg/220px-Muppets_take_manhattan.jpg

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wait, so a human and a muppet are brothers....did their father happen to be masturbating into a sock and somehow it spawned the muppet child?
Someone please explain in what twisted logic this makes sense?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Good to know that there are stilla good reboot out there in the film industry. Honestly if this is suppose to be a comeback to be back into television for kids they will need to make some changes to it for that to happen (so that it doesn't fell outdated).

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
I'm so jealous of America right now. I live in the UK and we have to wait until FEBRUARY to see the movie! :'(

CronoT

May 15, 2010
I went to go see it opening day, and it was worth it. All the humor and kitsch was there, and the funniest parts for the adults was the constant 4th Wall jokes.

Also, while it is admittedly creepy that a grown man in his 30's went to go see this by himself, all the kids I saw in the audience LOVED it. Also, the Moopets (small spoilers) being "made for today" by being edgy and cynical, while the Muppets keeping their whimsical charm and innocence is a great commentary on Children's Entertainment. Also, the comment on today's excuse for children's TV was SPOT ON.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Unfortunately my love for the Muppets died with Mr. Henson.

It just wasn't the same after that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rednog said:
Wait, so a human and a muppet are brothers....did their father happen to be masturbating into a sock and somehow it spawned the muppet child?
You're trying to make sense of something in a movie where sock puppets can sing and dance?

Why can't they get freaky with humans?

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
I wonder what will happen if America does pass some more stupid laws. I mean, as a Canadian, I'm not directly affected. It will more be a matter of trying to convince our government not to follow suit, and thankfully we will have any fallout from the passing of the law as evidence against it. There are advantages to not going first.

Also, Bob, it's a nice attempt to get people onboard, but I've never seen any evidence of grassroots movements accomplishing much in the states. They tend to either be ignored, or if they get large enough they get made into punchlines for newscasters. After all, one dork always misspells something on his sign, or gets publicity for the cause in exactly the wrong way.

I was under the (outsider and very possibly mistaken) impression that American government was mostly run by lobby groups and more codified organizations, all made up of voters but with the backings of powerful companies or wealthy individuals. Not so much a government for sale, as it is a flocking of voters under the banners of those more with more money and influence. A simple letter-writing campaign simply can't be heard over the dull roar of 300 million constituents, but enough financing can be.

OT: Muppets rock, but I don't know if I can forgive Segel for Bad Teacher. That was the worst movie I've seen outside of MST3K. Anything that bad needs Crow and Tom Servo making fun of it.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I saw Neil Patrick Harris so consider me sold.

Rednog said:
Well its a relatively simple process really. You see, both the male and female gametes have half of the genes from the respective parent and the gene for muppetism is recessive meaning that it only appears if there is no dominant allele is present. To get both a human and a puppet child, both of the parents must have been heterozygous for the muppetism gene (meaning that they are both human, but carry the recessive gene). If you do a Punnet square of this you would see that the ratio of human to muppet children is 3:1 or they have roughly 25% chance of having a muppet child.

Genetics: its magical.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Movie rule no. 1:
Muppet version of movie >>> original version of movie

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
That SOPA business is some heavy stuff... Good thing we've got The Muppets to lighten things up!

Seriously, I didn't need to see this review to decide whether or not I want to see this movie, I'm there!

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
yellowhead said:
I'm so jealous of America right now. I live in the UK and we have to wait until FEBRUARY to see the movie! :'(
Wait...FEBRUARY?! I thought it was at the end of December!

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I really hate Disney for not releasing it in the UK until February.

It's like they actively want it to be pirated.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd love to see this movie, especially with my younger cousin who is just learning of their existence... I really gotta watch the original "Muppet Show" too, just have to find the DVDs or something...

Rednog said:
My guess is that he was adopted. Makes sense, doesn't it?

---

Also, fuck SOPA. As if I needed MORE reasons to hate big businesses...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
CronoT said:
I went to go see it opening day, and it was worth it. All the humor and kitsch was there, and the funniest parts for the adults was the constant 4th Wall jokes.

Also, while it is admittedly creepy that a grown man in his 30's went to go see this by himself, all the kids I saw in the audience LOVED it. Also, the Moopets (small spoilers) being "made for today" by being edgy and cynical, while the Muppets keeping their whimsical charm and innocence is a great commentary on Children's Entertainment. Also, the comment on today's excuse for children's TV was SPOT ON.
Yup I gotta agree with you 100%

It was a lot clever than I expected it to be.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Not for nothing, Bob, but the character's name it "Walter". Yes, I know "Walt" is a shortened form of "Walter" but at no point in the film did they call him "Walt" (at least not that I can recall) and at one point he's wearing a uniform with a "Walter" name tag on it.

I took my kids to see this yesterday. I loved it, my 12-year-old said she liked it. My 6-year-old starts to get fidgety about half-way through any movie but he seemed to dig it.

And no mention of the Toy Story short before the feature? I loved it! Buzz Lightyear getting stuck inside a fast food restaurant while being replaced by his Happy Meal-like replica and sitting through a group-therapy session for discarded/forgotten Happy Meal toys? Brilliant! And I liked the nod to an actual Disney license/character "Condorman", which the young folk would likely miss.

Feb 13, 2008
How awesome are the Muppet Show/Sesame Street with their guests?

Secretary General of the US [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxqzWweOSbU]

Vincent Price [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnk4U-Pggg]
(If you don't know who he is, shame on you. Listen to the laugh at the end of Thriller)

Julie Andrews [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjSjB-3xPVM]

Paul Simon [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-TmrWz2I4]

John Denver [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5fuGcRuag]

Not to mention Milton Bearle, Steve Martin, Peter Sellers, Alice Cooper (as shown), Kylie Minogue....

A legend.

Statler: Do you believe in life after death?

Waldorf: Every time I leave this theater.
Booked.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
So, will you Americans be changing your national anthem? That whole "Land of the Free" line will be a load of crap if they pass the SOPA bill, after all.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I was ready to cry if this was bad. I really was. That reminds me, I'm going to have to watch The Muppets' Christmas Carol soon. And then maybe a few more times for good measure.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Random berk said:
So, will you Americans be changing your national anthem? That whole "Land of the Free" line will be a load of crap if they pass the SOPA bill, after all.
Oh snap. Maybe they ought to adopt the "America, fuck yeah" song from Team America? I mean, if I get this right, the United States of America apparently has jurisdiction over the internet, which is in and of itself a british invention and is these days actually international? Because if that's the case, this is even more scary.

Jan 27, 2011
Rednog said:
oh shit. ...oooooh shit....

BRB, need to burn some socks....

Daveman said:
Movie rule no. 1:
Muppet version of movie >>> original version of movie
proof = muppet treasure island.

that movie was AMAZING.

here's hoping this movie leads to "the three muppeteers", and other muppetized movie spoofs. those were always fun. :p

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
"According to TV Tropes"? Good to know you've found a reliably credible source there, Bobbo.

Personally, i've always found the muppets to be very creepy on the same level that circuses are creepy - it's like a glorification of the bizarre, the downright insane at times, and the surreal. I don't like it, i find it uncomfortable and jarring, and almost disturbing. I've always said circuses were like the embodiment of manic depression and i get the same feeling from the muppets, especially when it combines the real world with the surreal one and being totally self aware about it. Brr.

In regard to SOPA, i honestly think people shouldn't get their feathers so ruffled up about it. In a world where we have unlimited freedom of expression and an emphasis on the rights of the individual and the consumer, i can't possibly see such a hilariously cartoonish bill ever passing or being taken seriously. Sorry. Even if it does pass, having such a broad definition will work both ways - media companies such as the Escapist or IGN would contest the censorship, and in a court of law would simply state the broad definition of the act, and quite easily be able to circumvent it as a result. We already have very strict terms of agreement regarding tampering with hardware, and yet you get jokers like GeoHotz who get off pretty much scot free despite being in violation of some pretty clear ToS. If that's happening now, how on earth is something so flimsy supposed to hold up in court? Really, this act won't affect the average consumer. These companies aren't stupid - they know people with footage of their product on youtube or whatever is free advertising. This act isn't aimed at them. It's aimed at the people who blatantly abuse their product and people who condone this behaviour. Although to be frank, i just don't see it passing anyway. America tends to make a stink about these wacky bills that get put forward, but really, i just don't see it making any sort of impact. Everyone will just laugh it off and forget about it a year from now. That's not to say i'm in favour of SOPA, i just think we should have a bit of perspective about it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hopefully this will bring back some of the goodwill I'd lost towards the Muppets over the past few years. Muppets Wizard of Oz and Muppets Letters to Santa were awful films.

Muppets From Space, Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol however, awesome movies.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Mr.Squishy said:
Random berk said:
Oh snap. Maybe they ought to adopt the "America, fuck yeah" song from Team America? I mean, if I get this right, the United States of America apparently has jurisdiction over the internet, which is in and of itself a british invention and is these days actually international? Because if that's the case, this is even more scary.
Is this bill not being passed by the United States government to deny access to sites deemed inappropriate, or with content that they feel violates copyright? For example, ever listened to a fanmade music video on Youtube? If you have some additional information that you can prove me wrong with then by all means, post it and clarify the situation for me. Just hold back on the snarky bullshit if you can manage it.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
V TheSystem V said:
yellowhead said:
Wait...FEBRUARY?! I thought it was at the end of December!
Nope, I'm from the Netherlands, and it won't be in cinemas until February. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm just going to download the film. Their fault for making it come out 3 MONTHS late.

And don't worry, I'll still see it in cinema when it finally gets here, so I can introduce my friends to the awesomeness that is The Muppets.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I'm glad to know it's good, though I didn't really doubt it. Basically because the muppets are vilt-wrapped awesome in a box. They almost HAVE to be funny. And awesome.

Have I mentioned that the muppets are awesome yet?

Well they are.

Awesome that is.

Awesome

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
An easy reason for me to become obsessed with Gonzo and Fozzie again? Sure, I'll take it.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Man I have to wait until January for The Muppets to come to Australia. I'm going to take my nephew to see it and I can't wait to see it.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wait WHAT?! There's a Muppet movie coming? WHO DO I GIVE MY MONEY TO?!
Please oh please oh please have Animal do a drum duel in that movie. For the love of God have him do a drum duel, or at least be given a few minutes of screentime.

After just having dealt with a ruptured aorta in a patient, after working on him for an hour straight (I'm a paramedic in a rural area where we sometimes have to wait for the chopper/airplane to pick up patients) this is possibly the best news I could have gotten.

From 'meh, hate this job' to 'squeeeeeMUPPETS!' in two seconds flat.
Nicely done, MovieBob. Very nicely done.

Thank you for the fat smile on my face.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wait, Jason Segel wrote that? I didn't even know he was a writer.

I really didn't expect much from this movie, but I can't even remember the last movie I saw that was genuinely funny, so I might give this a go.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Why is everyone getting so antsy about SOPA? It's just like ACTA and every other name they've slapped on those bills that never passes.

If SOPA passes, I will eat a hat on a livesteam... that will no doubt be blocked because I didn't apply for the correct licenses to show a hat on the net.

I doubt anyone is dumb enough to allow that bill to pass, no matter how much lobbying goes on.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Anything the British can do about SOPA?
[sub]oh Brittania, Brittania rules the waves, Britons never never never shall be slaves...[/sub]

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Oh, Kermit and company, how I've missed your presence. Having grown up with the twisted mind of Jim Henson means I'm more than familiar with all this nonsense and I look forward to more.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Great to hear The Muppets is a success. I've sorely missed their feature film antics. Muppet Treasure Island still stands as one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

However, there is one objection I must make Bob- for all that they've been absent from the big screen for the past decade, I disagree that this movie has rescued the Muppets from pop culture oblivion. They may not have had any films out for a while, but thanks to the internet, they managed to re-invent themselves as an online video sensation. Check out how many of their online videos have gotten over the one million mark. Heck, just a couple of years ago, their cover of Bohemian Rhapsody was a serious contender for the coveted UK Xmas No 1 spot (it lost to Rage Against The Machine, but oh well). Indeed, the Muppets are one of the best examples of a show using the potential od the internet to reinvent themselves, and find themselves a whole new audience.

Besides, in what mad universe could Kermit the Frog ever be relegated to obscurity? Being green may have its problems, but anonimity isn't one of them.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Can I just say, THANK YOU for finally mentioning SOPA? When you did that Big Picture on PETA I was almost angry. "Why isn't he talking about SOPA?" I thought. "If he had a week to devote to a random PSA he shoulda been talking about that! Does his own job mean that little to him? Maybe he just hasn't heard about it yet? Jimquisition caught it. Man. The way they're ramming this thing through, if he waits until next week, it might be too late," and so on.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Gralian said:
"According to TV Tropes"? Good to know you've found a reliably credible source there, Bobbo.

Personally, i've always found the muppets to be very creepy on the same level that circuses are creepy - it's like a glorification of the bizarre, the downright insane at times, and the surreal. I don't like it, i find it uncomfortable and jarring, and almost disturbing. I've always said circuses were like the embodiment of manic depression and i get the same feeling from the muppets, especially when it combines the real world with the surreal one and being totally self aware about it. Brr.

In regard to SOPA, i honestly think people shouldn't get their feathers so ruffled up about it. In a world where we have unlimited freedom of expression and an emphasis on the rights of the individual and the consumer, i can't possibly see such a hilariously cartoonish bill ever passing or being taken seriously. Sorry. Even if it does pass, having such a broad definition will work both ways - media companies such as the Escapist or IGN would contest the censorship, and in a court of law would simply state the broad definition of the act, and quite easily be able to circumvent it as a result. We already have very strict terms of agreement regarding tampering with hardware, and yet you get jokers like GeoHotz who get off pretty much scot free despite being in violation of some pretty clear ToS. If that's happening now, how on earth is something so flimsy supposed to hold up in court? Really, this act won't affect the average consumer. These companies aren't stupid - they know people with footage of their product on youtube or whatever is free advertising. This act isn't aimed at them. It's aimed at the people who blatantly abuse their product and people who condone this behaviour. Although to be frank, i just don't see it passing anyway. America tends to make a stink about these wacky bills that get put forward, but really, i just don't see it making any sort of impact. Everyone will just laugh it off and forget about it a year from now. That's not to say i'm in favour of SOPA, i just think we should have a bit of perspective about it.
Your thinking too much about it. The muppets I mean. Some people are creeped out by clowns but when was the last time a clown really did anything to anyone? Collage paintings mess with my head but they aren't bad for being collage paintings.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Crunchy English said:
I wonder what will happen if America does pass some more stupid laws. I mean, as a Canadian, I'm not directly affected.
Even though non-Americans aren't able to influence congress we'll still be directly affected by this law if it passes. Much of the internet originates in the US and everything that doesn't will have a hard time trying to replace that large audience if they get banhammered in the US. Not to mention the fact that putting everyone like Moviebob out of work will probably be enough strain on the economy to cause another recession.

OT: I don't dislike the Muppets, just never found them very interesting. Although I'm all for kid's having entertainment that isn't brain-meltingly stupid.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
There's this competition at our school where the class with the most 'points' gets to watch a film of their choice. My teacher is crazy about the Muppets and I'm sure he'll be both saddended to know that it's out too late and that it's a great film.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I'm a little confused to where us Australians will be if this Bill get's passed as it effects the world and not just America. All criticisms of America aside, I don't want to see this bill passed but I'm not sure a person from another countries opinion counts. If our opinion doe sent count of course ill have good reason to bag America for the rest of my life.

Even if the Bill doesn't directly affect us it will still have far reaching consequences that will if not instantly, will eventually inflict the same effects on the rest of us.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Can I get a HELL YEAH?! I squeed like a little girl when I saw the previews for this, and I'm thrilled to see that it's a good one. Also, Muppet Treasure Island is hands down the best version of Treasure Island. Just sayin'.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Need to go see this. Immediately. Glad to hear it's good, and that Jason Segel holds up. I was really hoping he would, I'd hate to think less of him.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Just saw this movie:

LOVED IT.

There were some serious laughs here, both in the Toy Story short (really great gags) and in the movie itself. Also, it has Neil Patrick Harris, which instantly makes it impossible for this movie to be bad. I would recommend this to anyone, unless they hate man's 3rd greatest gift, laughter.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
My Mom would have been happy to know that the muppets were back in the lime light. (We have sooo much muppet memorabilia) So I'm going to see it twice just for her.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I never really got into the Muppets at all (massive Farscape fan though) and it makes me wonder. How will this land with people who have some vague memories and no idea who half the cast are? Kermit and Miss Piggy and the old guys are basically the only characters I know.

Oh, and the cook, definitely the cook. I remember always being bored with that bear though.

IE. Can you still discover the awesomeness of the Muppets at all or is a childlike wonder/nostalgia for the past required to dig it now?

I have a bit of a hard time taking advice to go see a movie which deals with a property the reviewer is a massive fan of. Can I really connect with this movie the way he did? His brother being a muppet is more than a little bit freaky to me (heading into Sonic and the Princess territory there). I always saw them as being a completely different species, like if another intelligent species would develop alongside us. Not something we can procreate with.

On another note:
While the US gets that sopa bill the Netherlands got reprimanded by the European council because we still haven't put in the legislation that prohibits providers from blocking sites from their users based on content...

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh my god! I'm gonna call my political representatives in Washington right now! Oh wait... i'm german.

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
treasure island is the best one i think. but xmas carol has always been an anual tradition, still have my vhs copy which like the same age as me.

would this new one be good for older generations or is it only for the new kids?

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Oh my god! I'm gonna call my political representatives in Washington right now! Oh wait... i'm german.
i thought that too. "w8 a minute i dont have any political representatives in Washington, but maybe i can get david cameron on speed dail and have him patch me through" (from UK)

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
i would gladly help out with the SOPA thing, especially because if you yanks go for it, the UK won't be far behind, but because I'm British not American, I can't do anything politically on your side of the pond.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
The Muppets are awesome.

This movie was a vanity project for Jason Segel, and like most vanity projects was not awesome.

That is all.

Okay, no, wait, SOPA sucks.

THAT is all.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
The Muppets are awesome.

This movie was a vanity project for Jason Segel, and like most vanity projects was not awesome.

That is all.

THAT is all.

Andre Nilsson

May 31, 2011
just one question about that SOPA thing. What will we who do not live in USA do? and how can one Country do something that effect the hole world? forgather the last Question this is USA, but the fist still stand.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
If I see this, it will be for Statler and Waldorf. They are that awesome.

And SOPA will not pass. Too many big wigs get hurt by it.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MovieBob said:
The Muppets

This is what we call the Muppet Shooooooooow!

Watch Video
Very Awesome movie, love the Muppets, and I am not afraid to admit that I teared up at the end. I'm sure everyone who saw it knows what I'm talking about

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Daria.Morgendorffer said:
The Muppets are awesome.

That is all.

THAT is all.
LIES! This movie, like the vast majority of Muppet movies was awesome!

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
If anything, the reunion aspect reminded me of the "getting the band back together" premise of the original Blues Brothers movie. Definitely going to see this when it comes out here....in January?!?!? Oh, for fuck's sake...

Rednog said:
Like others have said, you are putting waaaaay too much thought into these things. They're brothers because shut up, that's why. You're watching a movie about puppets - logic and realism are supposed to be checked at the door to the theater.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
Lies?

Dispute the following:

1. Too much emphasis on humans.
2. The original songs ranged anywhere between mediocre to downright painful ("Man or Muppet" had me wanting to bash my head into things, and "Me Party" felt like it was from an entirely different, worse movie).
3. Walter was a bit of Gary Stu wish-fulfillment on the part of Segel (really, an original and unproven Muppet is given all the credit (and waaaay too much screen time), and has a more 'amazing' act than The Rainbow Connection to close the show with?)

I'm not a hater. I have a Muppets marathon at least once a year. I wished this movie was going to be better, but frankly, I don't know why people refuse to admit this movie had some egregious flaws.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Urh said:
Rednog said:
Like others have said, you are putting waaaaay too much thought into these things. They're brothers because shut up, that's why. You're watching a movie about puppets - logic and realism are supposed to be checked at the door to the theater.
No one else said that.
Reading comprehension fail?

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
1. I already sent my anit-SOPA letter.
2. I saw The Muppets BEFORE watching this review and loved it on my own terms for my own reasons.

I'm feeling pretty on-the-ball this week.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for the review Bob. I feel like I just re-experienced a missing part of my childhood that blends so well with my current life. It was one of those positive movie experiences that reminds you what's been missing. Thanks again.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I went to see the late showing of The Muppets on opening night. Being around 10:30 at night I was surprised to see that the theatre was at least half full...all of whom were men and women approximately my age or older.

it was one of the best theatre going experiences of my life, everyone laughed at the same jokes, sighed a little wistfully at the scene where Walt sees the picture of Kermit and Henson together and got a little misty eyed when Kermit sang Rainbow Connection.

My younger relatives went to see it with their parents the following day and almost immediately came over to my house to borrow my DVD collection of the Muppet Show/movies.

If I had to make a complaint at all it's that the songs in "The Muppets" never really seem to work. Almost all of the original musical numbers are given to the human cast and the Muppets are left to take over montage duties to old pop songs...it just doesn't seem right.

(Edit: On a personal note, I was really happy to see that Uncle Deadly was finally given a chance to shine in this film...that is all.)

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Lies?

Dispute the following:

2. The original songs ranged anywhere between mediocre to downright painful ("Man or Muppet" had me wanting to bash my head into things, and "Me Party" felt like it was from an entirely different, worse movie).
3. Walter was a bit of Gary Stu wish-fulfillment on the part of Segel (really, an original and unproven Muppet is given all the credit (and waaaay too much screen time), and has a more 'amazing' act than The Rainbow Connection to close the show with?)

I'm not a hater. I have a Muppets marathon at least once a year. I wished this movie was going to be better, but frankly, I don't know why people refuse to admit this movie had some egregious flaws.
There was some slight emphasis on Segal and his girl, but almost always in a manner that helped move forward the muppet plot. The original songs were all amazing, bar none. They never said that it was more amazing, just that his act was a surprise to everyone, no one had seen his act and they were all pleasantly surprised by how it turned out.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
MSfire012 said:
Both of those movies came out like 9 months ago. Tree of life was horrendous. Melancholia was better, but certainly not in my top 10 for the year.

Bob very rarely reviews art-house flicks. Generally sticking to those films that the audience will all likely have heard of.

off-topic: best movie of the year to date was The Guard.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Lies?

Dispute the following:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hated that Man or Muppet song. Everyone i've talked to or read about it has been all over it.
The movie was a bit human heavy in the first act, but given the premise of the story how could it not be? Once you get past the setup, there are very few times where the humans are talking without the muppets on screen with them. I wasn't huge on walter, but he stayed out of the way more or less entirely during the back half of the film, which i appreciated.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
I guess the problem I had was that that it was human-heavy in the first place.

This is a MUPPET movie. It should be about MUPPETS. There should not have been humans to drive the plot along. As for Walter, sure, he stayed out of the back half, but when he came back, what did he do? He did an 'amazing, show-saving' number that followed The Rainbow Connection, which...felt really, really off. Like we were supposed to think more highly of it than it was actually worth (when the show should have ended with TRC. Then the part at the end where all the Muppets were raising him up as if to say "Here's our new bright star!", when he was bland and boring.

So, okay, here's the question I guess I want to pose to the folks who still think that this movie was awesome. I'm going to take a page from the Red Letter Media school of critiquing. If you were to block out ANY other media in the Muppets canon and based an assessment on this movie and ONLY this movie, can you describe anything about the characters that does not involve: their job or what they look like?

The part of the movie that's devoted to humans should have been used to develop the Muppets' personalities (and, in fact, why Animal was in rehab; Animal had the best line of the movie, by the way. "Acting...natural.") so that they didn't seem like figurative puppets to the screenplay and to show up and do the whole "Remember me? I do this!" routine, only for them to slink into the background until the plot needed window dressing again.

So, I'm going to take a whack at Jason Segel for a minute here, so praised for being 'such' a Muppet fan...here was a guy who didn't bother to explore the personalities of the titular characters he claimed to love so much in favor of a Muppet he created himself? I was neutral on the guy before, but now I suspect he's a bit of a jackass.

The fawning over the Muppets he's given to the press, and THIS is the result? That's like saying, I'm going to write a Marx Brothers movie, but really, the story is going to spotlight the lost Marx Brother (Gummo, in case you're wondering), make double sure he gets treated like a reluctant, untested, but blindingly-talented star by the script (Bella Swan, anyone?), not giving Groucho any good lines to chew over, not have a madcap scene of Chico and Harpo tag-team annoying someone, not have Harpo either do some physical comedy and/or play a harp, and by the end of the movie, even Groucho is going to give him props for how wonderful he is. But since I'm a Marx Brothers fan, that's perfectly acceptable. Blech.

So, by that note, of COURSE Walter is wonderful. Because nobody else was given any chance to show off their personalities and talents anyway.

Ugh, I'm sorry to be such a cynical old broad about this, but I really DID want this movie to be better, and I'm really disappointed that I wasn't at least pleasantly surprised. To me, it wasn't a Muppet Movie. And I wanted more Gonzo. More GONZO, do you hear?

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Lies?

Dispute the following:

There was some slight emphasis on Segal and his girl, but almost always in a manner that helped move forward the muppet plot. The original songs were all amazing, bar none. They never said that it was more amazing, just that his act was a surprise to everyone, no one had seen his act and they were all pleasantly surprised by how it turned out.
Forgot to address this: No, nobody -said- it was amazing, but the actions surrounding it point to acknowledgement of that fact. Remember, it was a critical point in the show where the cash flow had started running down. A stunning act was needed to 'save the day' as it were. Kermit and crew were turning down other acts that obviously would not have been as good. And let's not forget the 'victory hoist' of Walter just outside the Muppet Theater. You'd think Kermit would have gotten that, right? Nope, all for some Muppet that nobody had ever seen until that night.

So you may argue that nobody said it was amazing, but the staging of it in that part of the movie seemed to say it was.

coconut_buyer

Nov 21, 2009
Bob, why would you, a "professional" movie critic, use TV tropes as a source for ... well anything? According to Box Office Mojo, the highest grossing "Kid's" film adjusted for inflation is E.T. The muppet movie is not even in the top 200.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I hope you didn't get all the information for your Peta episode from Tv tropes...

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
SOPA definitely seems like another of these "we don't have time to read the whole bill" sort of moments. The nitwits have to pass it to find out what's in it according to Nancy P. Hopefully this nonsense can be averted before it needs to be repealed.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Bob is aware he has a video game show, right? If so, why does he keep shoving stuff that would be better dealt with there (or just in a twitter post or something) instead of making room for stuff that's relevant to this show? Like, I dunnoo..... movies?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
That's three of my commonly-viewed online media outlets asking me to support action against the SOPA bill now. After researching the exact wording and legalities a bit more I'd love to do just that, but being Canadian I can't contact my local congressman. Just joined the Facebook group, but like most such groups they're of limited use after you've decided, more for spreading the word than doing anything concrete.

It's very much worth mentioning, seeing as how it could potentially shut down ISP service to any site the assigned judiciary (which alarmingly has not yet been decided on) doesn't like... like this one.