Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
clearly a renter. Either that, or get bombed and watch it in the theater. Hate to be the guy who is the designated driver in that scenario, tho.

Does anybody else find it interesting that Steve Carell- once the sidekick- has gone zooming past Will Ferrell in success?

Of course, Elf, Old School, and Anchorman were great fun, as well as the 'Landlady stuff' on FoD.

And Sucker Punch...

OH MY.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
The Rock had the action hero role. it was called "4 time WWF heavyweight champion of the world, The ROCK. CAN YOU SMMMMEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! WHAT. THE ROCK. IS. COOKING?" He didn't wear that speedo for no reason.

also will ferrell hasn't been funny since Anchorman. Semi-pro, blades of glory, talladega nights, and i'm assuming the other guys, are just rehashes of the same generic plot lines. If ferrell and wahlberg don't at some point end up off the case but find some key peice of eveidence that forces them to go above and beyond the call of duty to solve the case i'll eat my shoe.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I thought it was a little weird how Bob missed out on Sucker Punch. I had to look up the word "piqued" and I found two meanings: one was about excitement, the other was about irritation.
I'm gonna assume Bob went with the former, because I certainly did.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Mark Whalberg was fantastic in The Departed, a hugely over rated movie that only watchable due to a few stand out scenes and Mark Whalbergs comedy timing (seriously its like Topher Grace is on the set or something).

Oh dear Batman, you better have come with some T-Rex repellent bat spray!.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I was anticipating this movie, then *eagerly* anticipating this movie, then NEEDING this movie... then the trailer came out. Will Ferrell is quickly plummeting towards my "least favourite actor" status currently held by Channing Tatum. I haven't liked any of his films since aught six and I've seen much of his crap since then. Here's hoping this film changes that.

rosenhacker

Feb 21, 2010
Great review, but I gotta disagree. I haven't seen any buddy cop movies in a while (I blocked out Cop Out from my mind) and Will Ferrell made some of my favorite movies, like Step Brothers, Talldega Nights, and Blades of Glory.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Well I wasn't going to see this movie anyway. I refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrel in it.
There's a movie with him as an IRS agent who is simultaneously a doomed character in a novel and has gained the ability to hear the narrator. It's actually, oddly funny, and reflects that he can actually, you know, act.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Is it just me or is Dwayne Johnson actually a decent actor? I loved The Scorpion King, The Rundown and Walking Tall, and Get Smart had him in a good role. I can't be the only person to think that he's actually an alright actor.

As to this particular movie......eh. The trailers never caught my attention, so I wasn't planning on going to see it anyway.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
You know, every time I see Will Ferrell's name, I always think "Oh, Will Ferrell! I like that guy!" and then I remember Semi-Pro... and Land of the Lost... and Step Brothers... I might end up skipping this one so I can see Scott Pilgrim and the Expendables next week.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Hubilub said:
Oh Dwayne Johnson, how you have fallen.

He probably realized that most people just saw him as "That guy that kinda looks like Vin Diesel" early on and decided to move on to the parody stuff fast.
Fun fact when bob showed the clip of him on top of the car I thought "Wait vin diesel is in this!?" Then got disappointed when I saw it wasn't actually vin..

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
We had entirely too many buddy cop movies in the 80s. When the Police Academy well started to run dry and people had enough of Eddie Murphy, they turned to partnering cops with animals like Turner and Hooch... before they jumped the shark with Whoopi and that stupid dinosaur...

The funny buddy cop movie has been done to death for at least two decades. Slapping two different people into the same formula doesn't change the outcome, you still end up with crap. I haven't found Farrell to be funny in anything, aside from a few SNL skits. The guy often tries to hard to be "genuine" to the role he plays, and it really takes me out of it. And Wahlberg has been playing up the "serious" role so much in his movies that it is almost like he is spoofing himself anymore in his movies of being the hard-boiled action go-to guy when you can't afford Vin Diesel.

And the Rock? Who ever took this guy as a serious actor anyway? I haven't seen a wrestler-turned-actor make a decent film ever. At least with him making fun of himself gives him a somewhat different edge to seeing him on-screen in anything.

This movie looked stupid from the start. I hate when the commercials for it come on tv, much like that Scott Pilgrim piece of crap they are throwing too much attention at. What's with that kid and these over-the-top unbelievable movie premises anyway? If this is the direction that comedy is going, I'll stick to doing dick and fart jokes for stoners until I die.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I had nearly no interest in The Other Guys and my opinion has basically stayed the same

also I've seen the Sucker Punch trailer and I've tried to explain to people at my work why they should watch the trailer, but the trailer is so inexplicable I can't come up with a real reason beyond "it is crazy, you should watch it!"

I wonder what movie he'll do next week. The action team epic The Expendables or the geek's choice Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I hope we get a review double feature.

Sep 17, 2009
Blue-State said:
Will he be doing the expendables next week or the week after?
I hope so. He will tear that movie apart. Based on trailers it looks like the worst film of all time. Period.

OT: I like Will Ferrel, Mark Walhberg, Sam Jackson, and The Rock (in some roles). And it got pretty decent reviews (even from Bob) so I will see it...tonight!

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
For those that care, the whole premise of "The Other Guys" was to turn the action movie cliche on it's head. That's why the Rock and Sam Jackson are supporting characters, in the normal buddy cop movie they'd be the protagonists.

A more accurate title for this movie would have be Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, NYPD

I'm not going to provide the links but it's a combination of "Lower Decks"/"Those Two Guys" if you want the specific tropes.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Not only is Batman & Robin fighting a dinosaur, but they're doing it using Green Arrow's hook, which is itself stolen from Batman. So I guess that's like Batman taking a certin word "back"

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
MovieBob, Dwayne Johnson is spoofing the career everyone expected him to have. That's actually slightly awesome. He's a not half-bad actor and like playing with expectations. I hate, hate, hate, big-time wrestling, but I'm fairly interested in his career.

Still probably wait for a boring sunday to rent this. Keep up the good work MB.