Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im glad I wasnt hte only one who felt I had gone back to the mid 80s...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
The Rock is spoofing his wrestling action personal. He hasn't played a tuff guy since that terrible movie (which i cant even remember the name of) where he played an actual tuff guy lol

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
OK, now that I think about it, I MIGHT have missed something considering how Bob uses the word "piqued" next to THAT poster. Maybe.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I wonder what movie we will se next week: Scott Pilgrim or The Expendables

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
...eh. I was going to see and since there is absolutely nothing else to do, I probably will but I figured it would be somewhat entertaining but just another Will Ferrel movie of him doing the same shit.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
Hearing the concept for this was enough for me to pass on it. Will Farrell and Marky Mark in a cop movie? No thanks.

At least I got to see Batman and Robin fighting a dinosaur out of this review.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Considering the amount of comments on the first Extra Credits video, it's safe to say most if not all have given it a look.

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
That picture at the end

sooooooooooo much epic win!!!!

OT: I might check this flick out if I have nothing better to do...funny, forgetable movies about nothing are pretty cool sometimes

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
The only buddy cop movie I liked was Bluestreak... and only midway through once Martin stopped overacting and started acting.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I think the Rock was a bit of an 'action star' in his WWE days, considering he was acting the whole time.

I mean the whole thing's fake, so you have to act when the cameras are on.

So the idea of him taking the piss out of himself this often to this degree is, to me, funny.

Just on a conceptual level, though. On a practical level, I'm pretty damn sick of Will Ferrell, so I'll be passing on this one. The last good thing he did was the evening with George W Bush.

Then again, when this comes out on Netflix... *rubs chin thoughtfully*

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
hamster mk 4 said:
I think The Rock is playing up the laughable ultra buff guy roll. We expect people who look like him to be mean and ultra serious, so when he shakes up our preconceptions we get a good laugh out of it. I think he is parodying our expectations of him rather than the few "serious" action movies he made.
I think that is right to the point.
I think he understands that action movies tend to be comedy ridiculous, and noone expect more of him than to be a buffed wrestler, so he just plays along with it... And I like it. I would rather see him in a action/comedy movie like The Scorpion King (even when its mostly a Conan remake), than an actor that takes itself seriously in a full blown action movie, like Seagal.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Daniel Floyd is AWESOME! I've watched all of his YouTube commentaries and his first two episodes here already! Great stuff, every gamer who calls themself a gamer needs to watch his stuff!

And yeah, what the Hell is up with The Rock in movies?!

Also, Batman and Robin fighting a dinosaur... doesn't look awesome. It just seems odd and out of place.

Steel Ronin

Apr 14, 2009
So wait Bob gave The Last Airbender a recommendation (possibly the worst film adaptation of all time and for me worst movie of the year so far)but he couldn't give The Other Guys one...He seems to have raised his standards sky high.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
I for one give a thumb up to the Socio-economic analysis of the emergence of Cob buddy movie

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
Well, it's funny and random. Good review, except for one thing.

Mark Wahlburg is NOT a good actor. The only movie I like him in it is Shooter. And that was because the action was pretty insane.

I'm sure you already forgot that he was Marky Mark at one time.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Bout what I expected it to be. Glad to know for sure that it's not the break out comedy hit of the summer. Batman and Robin fighting a dinosaur is awesome!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wait... did you just say Whalberg is a GOOD actor??

Bob, I trusted you.... :(

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
My dad actually saw part of this being filmed, well, we think it was this.

It was a stunt scene, and ended when he got there, but still, pretty cool story, right?

I'm gonna see it tonight, because I haven't seen a comedy in theaters in forever.

Kruxxor

Jan 18, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
So it basically a SNL skit that is a movie? No real point but to make jokes that can only work once?

I guess you never saw "A Night at the Roxbury"?