Escape to the Movies: The Raid 2 - Brutally Intense, Action-Filled, And Very Good

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
I had qualifications with it. It was rated "R" the Australian equivalent of the NC-17 rating for violence and it really is very violent. I could not make it through one scene without wincing at least once. Might be better to watch on DVD so you can stop it if you need to. When I wrote about it I described the violence as "people not only being punched and kicked into the shape of human Tetris blocks, they also manage to fall on the most painful thing each time, ouch!"

The Tetris blocks thing is not an exaggeration, a dude's face falls on a wall and becomes a right angle. When bones get broken the limb goes 90 degrees.

Not sure what they are going to do for the Raid 3 as they cannot possibly go more over the top than this film.

I might have been more sensitive to the violence having watched the Act of Killing last year also.

Also I do not have any movies this year I was looking forward to more than this film.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
So...did anyone else look at that last scene Bob used in this review and find themselves hearing, "Come on baby, let's do the twist?"

...no? Just me? Okay. v.v

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
They don't show this here so i'll probably have to wait for the dvd release. Q_Q Also "then he breaks out the baseballs" can not wait.

SnowWookie

Nov 22, 2012
Saw it 2 weeks ago and it's excellent. Overall, I think the Raid is a tighter movie, but the action scenes in this are just so amazing, I can forgive that.

And yeah, it is really really REALLY violent. If you make it through the movie without wincing at the violence, go see a therapist because you're probably a sociopath :) OTOH, some of the violence is just so over the top that you can't help but laugh (in a good way).

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
babinro said:
I can't handle broken bones in movies.

I tried watching The Raid and couldn't get through it.
I can handle just about any amount of gore/violence in movies but broken bones get to me.

I want to watch The Raid 2...but I'm 99% sure it's not a movie for me.
Yeah it really isn't for people who can't handle broken bones.

The Raid 2 is for people who hate skeletons with a fiery passion and want to see them smashed and broken in every possible way.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
THE RAID WAS AWESOME!
Gotta see this one soon.

Cheer up Skeletor, at least its not Michael Bay doing He-Man. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Still, I check reviews first before buying my ticket.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Frist Raid was fine until fights got ultra lengthy, hopefully this one is more slick in that respect.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I finally got around to watching this and LOVED IT!

Took a while to get into it but it was worth it. At around the 90 minute mark it steps it up a notch and then it just keeps going!

The car chase scene was excellent and then it kept getting better! When he fought 'the hammer girl' and 'the baseball bat man' at the same time in the hallway I thought they couldn't make it any better...then he fights 'the assassin' for 10 or so minutes of brutal, BRUTAL hand-to-hand combat!

I think they are making a Raid 3...I don't know how they will top this though but I am sure the director will find a way :)

james.sponge said:
Frist Raid was fine until fights got ultra lengthy, hopefully this one is more slick in that respect.
There really only was one 'ultra-long' fight (lots of other fight scenes but I didn't think they overstayed their welcome) at the end of the film but the pay-off was worth it!