Escape to the Movies: The Raid

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
American pie was pathetic, lowest common denominator humour for 15 year olds. But hey, i guess some people still love it.

The raid, looks awesome, been waiting for this for ages. Also heard that they are making a sequel to it as well as the first script was meant to be bigger but they didnt have the budget.

Ihniwid

Nov 8, 2010
ManupBatman said:
Ihniwid said:
Giving American Pie two minutes of your time in a five minute segment tells me two things:

1. You didn't have much to say about the title film other than "it was good."
2. Your "hate" towards the American Pie films is strong enough to deter you from actually thinking about the film you are purportedly reviewing.
But really all he he had to say about the Raid was "It was good".

May notice a trend that most of the reviews where he pretty much just says "It was good" has a 2 minute tangent.

So really it's kinda like reporting a bug that's working as intended.
Actually, the reviews of his I like - and the ones which showcase his talents - are the reviews that explain why a movie was good. For example: I would have never watched The Grey if he did not explain to me how the film used the wolves as a narrative device, rather than the prime focus of the film.

Just because he has done this before (as many have pointed out) doesn't mean its a bug that is working as intended... It means that it is a bug that has popped up before. And it's a bug that he really should deal with.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
daxterx2005 said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
daxterx2005 said:
Glad to see I'm not going to be trolled for my post since everyone else seems to be agreeing with me.
Why would someone troll you for being spot on?
The internet is an odd place like that.
"Have an opinion that isn't kissing bobs feet"
*get trolled by Bobfanboys*

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Bob's videos. Hell I even subscribed to his youtube shows, hes a hilarious individual. I just wish he'd stop feeling sorry for himself because he had a shitty High school career. Isn't he like in his 30s now? Time to move on I'd say.
My thoughts exactly. I mean, beat for beat. Sometimes he has really good ideas and perspectives to share. But this shit? Seriously, he dedicates over a third of his review videos to yet another tangent about his shitty time at high school over a decade after the fact. I have no clue what reaction he expects from us, because he'd have to be even more out of his gourde to think these stunts will grant him actual pity or whatever he's seeking.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
And one time at Band Camp, I didn't watch American Pie...and life was good.

Also I never went to band camp. I only went to church camp once when I was in the 5th grade, and I only went 'cause this girl I had a crush on invited me along...and she ended up missing the bus, so I was there by myself all week in this foreign environment I knew nothing about.

...what were we talking about again?

Sorry, Bob. I got distracted. This wasn't one of your better reviews, I don't really have any interest in seeing either of those movies.

But I DID see that War of the Gargantuas (a film you introduced me to) is playing on Netflix, so I'm gonna check that out.

Also, I agree. I do think Ted looks funny. I think it'll be a good showcase of Seth Macfarlane's style of humor without actually having to watch what Family Guy has become.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
"American Pie" was intended to appeal to mainstream young people by acting as a sort of exagerrated and idealistic parallel to their experiences. Pretty much what "Porky's" did but for a more recent generation. By definition most, if not all, of the people involved in geek culture enough to be a part of this site, or running articles or features on it, are not going to fit in with the intended audience due to being into all the things those kinds of people are not.

In comparison "we" kind of got "Scott Pilgrim" which puts the whole teen experience into the context of geek culture, and shows it through things we like, like video games. As a result a lot of the people who frequent sites like this tend to really like Scott Pilgrim, but not care much for "American Pie". Given the numbers, with nerds and geeks being a minority, Scott carried a comic series, but wasn't successful as a movie, where "American Pie" has become a successful franchise being carried by the weight of the mainstream.

That's how I see things at any rate.

As far as "The Raid" goes, I'll keep it in mind for "Netflix" one of these days. I have no doubt that it's a competantly executed action movie, and the fights are quite fast and furious from what I was seeing, but it doesn't seem to really have much else holding it together other than that. It seems interchangable with any number of other foreign action titles that I've seen over the last couple of decades.

Probably the next movie I'm going to pay to see in an actual theater is going to be "Cabin In The Woods" in part to support the genere, and part because I trust Joss Whedon to have created something fairly special, as opposed to the whole retread that it seems to be.

-

Oh and Bob, if you REALLY hated High School to the point of hating movies that have anything to do with the mainstream of high school, why keep torturing yourself by seeing the movies? At this point it goes without saying that you hate "teen experience" movies unless they are from a very nerd-centric perspective, being mostly about the outsiders than everyone else (or otherwise featuring odd twists). Why not just not mention them, unless you have something surprising to say... like how you liked one, even if that doesn't seem liable to ever happen.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Huh, a director with the same name as me, thats kind of cool. Its cooler than sharing a name with an Australian politician at any rate.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
moviedork said:
How can you say there's no memorable action sequences in the Transformers movies?

The freeway chase in Dark of the Moon
The forest fight in Revenge of the Fallen
The Qatar fight in Transformers

and those were just at the top of my head.

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but the man can film a great action scene.
Exactly. Plus in the first one, you also had the freeway battle between Optimus and Bonecrusher, and also the chase between Bumblebee and Barricade.

There's a lot of great action in those movies.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I actually like the American Pie movies, sure they aren't smart or the most well made, but I get a bit of laughs from them. :D

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Korten12 said:
I actually like the American Pie movies, sure they aren't smart or the most well made, but I get a bit of laughs from them. :D
Ditto, And before people jump down my throat about it, I want to preface this with the fact that I had a terrible time at high school, I know exactly what you get for being nerdy in that hellhole, but there is a reunion for my year happening in mid summer, and I am still going to go to it, you know why? because I am past that, I learned from the events and moved on. I got much stronger physically as a result as well, I forced myself to become better so I could deal with the people who gave me trouble.

Unfortunately, based on MB's reaction to anything remotely mainstream/alpha/popularity based, it seems that he wasn't able to, which is really unfortunate, it makes his reviews of mainstream stuff, some of which is actually quite good, seem like whining.

So yeah, I really am struggling to stand this guy by this point.

The raid seems quite good though, silat is one of the martial arts I am interested in, focusing on full contact Krav atm, but knowing more is always a good thing

I38VWI

Nov 9, 2009
Moviebob gives it a recommendation, and there's music by Mike Shinoda?
Definitely have to see it now.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I think I've seen only one American Pie movie and I think it was Band Camp, or something like that. I think it had some kind of spin-off set up and was basically made to cash in on whatever popularity was still remaining from the first one. I can't remember, because I'm pretty sure I was pretty high at the time and my friends put it on because they wanted to watch something with boobs in it.

I'm tempted to say The Raid could be better if it had a sense of self-awareness about the karate stuff which would act as comic releaf--after, Hamlet had comic releaf--but I haven't sceen it yet so I wouldnt know.

Ted looks like it could be bad really easily. It seems like Seth MacFarlane may have taken his 'funny things that aren't suppose to talk, but do anyways' (see Brian from Family Guy, Claus from American Dad, and the bear from The Cleveland Show) set up alittle too far now. At the very least it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Axolotl said:
Bob, just a small point but please, if you're not going to review a film, just don't review it. And seriously don't spend a a quarter of the review another better film bitching about it.
To be honest, he probably needed a time filler because, while The Raid is good, it doesn't sound like the kind of film he can talk about for long enough to fill a whole review; it's just too simple in what it has to offer.

Considering how many people are complaining about how much of the video was spent on the American Pie tirade, it seems I'm the only person to have realised this.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I hate shakey-cam in action films, ruined so many good scenes. I wanna SEE the full picture not just some small part of it, its one thing I think films like 300 always got right, panning out and letting us SEE the spear hit the guy in the face (admittidly the slow got abit annoying though) were as a film like Alien vs Predator just sucked as you could SEE F-all. The Raid looks banging, reeeeeeally hope its showing near me.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Gunnyboy said:
moviedork said:
How can you say there's no memorable action sequences in the Transformers movies?

The freeway chase in Dark of the Moon
The forest fight in Revenge of the Fallen
The Qatar fight in Transformers

and those were just at the top of my head.

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but the man can film a great action scene.
Exactly. Plus in the first one, you also had the freeway battle between Optimus and Bonecrusher, and also the chase between Bumblebee and Barricade.

There's a lot of great action in those movies.
I actually didn't enjoy the ones he pointed out but the ones you pointed out were very good, even if they were over very quickly.

I did enjoy that small scuffle between Bumble Bee and that snakey red one that kidnapped the Witwickies in the second. Don't get me wrong I still hated the film but there were one or two enjoyable action scenes. I do feel the others were spoilt though by constantly zooming in, the robots are massive, PAN OUT DAMN IT!!!

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
Axolotl said:
Bob, just a small point but please, if you're not going to review a film, just don't review it. And seriously don't spend a a quarter of the review another better film bitching about it.
To be honest, he probably needed a time filler because, while The Raid is good, it doesn't sound like the kind of film he can talk about for long enough to fill a whole review; it's just too simple in what it has to offer.

Considering how many people are complaining about how much of the video was spent on the American Pie tirade, it seems I'm the only person to have realised this.
No, you're not the only one to realize that. He does it a lot when a movie doesn't have a whole lot to offer outside of great fight scenes or amusin jokes simply because he has absolutely nothin to fill the time.

Think back to his hot tub time machine episode. Most of that was just him sayin over and over "Yeah its really funny, you should go see it" because the only substance of the movie was that it was joke after joke. Generally he'll fill that with some random or slightly related tangent about somethin or other in order to fill time. Unfortunately he seems to use that time more often than not to ***** and moan about how his high school life sucked and how he can't apparently grow up beyond that insecure 14 year old that got picked on at school.

Seriously Bob, find somethin else to ***** about. We get it. High school sucks. Get the fuck over it.

On topic of the movie, would like to see it because the trailers looked great and I'm always a sucker for a high quality martial arts movie, but considerin the closest theater to play it is about an hour away? Not happenin. Will definitely check it out when the dvd release shows though.

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
Saw it, was a pretty awesome action movie, and you're right, they are few and far between.

Now just to wait till TOM YUM GOONG 2 (The Protector 2 for the yanks) comes out!

Being FILMED in 3D, not titanic'd into 3D for mad profit, I think it will begin a new era of whats possible for 3D, if its done right, and I think it will be - Because it is Tony Jaa.

I can't wait to see an entire audience Double-Knee-Kicked in the face

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Every time Bob bitches about his highschool experience, I want to do a shot of bleach. We get it, high school was shit, can we move on already?

Nice to see that The Raid holds up, though. I love movies with Thai fighters in them.

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
OMG Bob... you're suck a bitcher!
You're here to review The Raid...we don't care that you didn't enjoy American Pie or the sequels.

To be completely honest your ideas of 'reviewing movies' is just.... I don't know how you got your job.
it seems to me that you're not a movie reviewer you're just another person with his own opinions. Not saying they're always wrong but they always seem so... unfounded.

You give great movies bad reviews and bad movies rather good reviews, which strikes me as yes just another person who had his own views on a movie and somehow managed to get a job on a website telling people about it.

You've lost me Bob. I won't be watching you again and anyone with some sense should be thinking the same way.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I liked the first American Pie film, but fucking HAAAAAATED the idea of the sequels. Didn't watch them, the trailers were enough to assure me of their shittiness and I agree they reunion is a just a shitty money grab.

Though how can you have a reunion when the last American Pie film wasn't even a year or so ago?

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Nurb said:
I liked the first American Pie film, but fucking HAAAAAATED the idea of the sequels. Didn't watch them, the trailers were enough to assure me of their shittiness and I agree they reunion is a just a shitty money grab.

Though how can you have a reunion when the last American Pie film wasn't even a year or so ago?
Those Direct to dvd movies are based in the same universe but have little to do with the original cast. The last movie any of these actors were in was 2003...well except for the dad.

OT: Either way these are both brainless movies to enjoy and forget. I don't believe the vitriol thrown at the American Reunion movie was really warranted. I mean at least it has likable characters unlike that shitfest Scott Pilgrim movie. I swear 30 minutes of watching that and I wanted to hurt people, but I'm sure it was just too "deep" for me. Fucking hipsters.