Escape to the Movies: The Sitter

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I misread the title and thought it said "The Shitter". I'm disappointed.

The stooges looks terrible, but I wonder if it is actually bad thing. I've been wondering why no one these days goes back to the comedy roots and makes a Laurel and Hardy style comedy film - one where the plot is so minimal, it merely serves as a simple excuse to have lots of gags. Nowerdays, it feels like every comedy has to have a "heartwarming", "serious" and "true to life" element in which they stop the jokes for twenty minutes whilst sullen looking comedians talk about feelings. Pssst, it doesn't work. Just sticking unecessary drama in a comedy will not us make us actually care. If we do care, it will be because of the strength of the humour and the characters, not on a heavily contrived romantic scene or a talk about terminal illnesses.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Good review as always. Are you going to review Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy at any point? IMDB tells me its now out in the USA (sorry for the wait, but you get revenge by delaying the Muppets you Wankers!) and while it may not be the sort of film Escapists would naturally choose to see, I think they all should!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Really? Someone made a stoogies movie? At which point did people give this a green light? I mean, who thought it would be able to make money? Who's going to pay a theatre ticket to see it? Not just coz it looks bad, but who ever thought "You know what the world needs now? The stoogies. There's not enough stoogies humour around these days.". I'm just baffled.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Well in my opinion Will Sasso and Sean Hayes are fine actors who seem committed to their roles so I can't imagine it being as horrible-

*Sees Sophia Vegara, inexplicable Stripper Nun, Jersey Shore*

....oh never mind :(

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
The Three Stooges trailer sucks because we already know what Hollywood has done to the property even before it's hit theaters. We've seen enough awful adaptations of classic movies, TV shows, video games, and books to know that this won't be any good.

That and, let's face it, the original Three Stooges were made during a time when physical comedy was in its infancy in mass culture. Our tastes may have changed since then. In fact, this trailer seems to have embraced those changes by making all the gags I could see extremely tasteLESS.

Really? A lobster in the trousers? For shame, movie industry. You just reduced one of the most iconic characters in comedy to, well, this:

http://youtu.be/mV1LWhNpTJU

On a lighter note, so The Sitter has a contrivance, but one that furthers the character development? That's...better? :/

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Okay, I'm sorry if that you're hurt by that new Three Stooges trailer, but I didn't really see anything in it that was THAT bad.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I dunno I kinda liked the three stooges trailer. I mean It's not like the actual three stooges was a work of art. Just one liners and slapstick. It's really the lowest form of humor these days. I say why not?

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Say what you want about the Sitter, but I now live my life by the line, "I let my haters be my motivaters." I don't know about you, but that line is gold.

As for the Stooge's, I'm only nineteen, so I've only seen a couple of skits through high school theater and the like. The skits that I have seen gave me all the respect I have for them. After seeing the trailer though, I now feel inclined to say, "You're kidding. You're kidding, right?" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxD7ANFONM]

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Hey, Bob! What about Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy? I mean, I know it's only out in limited release, but can we at least expect your review of that film at some point or another?

obliterate

Sep 2, 2009
Markunator said:
Hey, Bob! What about Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy? I mean, I know it's only out in limited release, but can we at least expect your review of that film at some point or another?
Well he reviews movies that The Escapist tell him to and movies that critics are allowed to see. But I would really love to get a reply from either Bob or the Escapist if that is a possibility.

obliterate

Sep 2, 2009
Markunator said:
Well he reviews movies that The Escapist tell him to and movies that critics are allowed to see. But I would really love to get a reply from either Bob or the Escapist if that is a possibility.

EDIT:Sorry for the double posts but my browser is going crazy.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
About the Three Stooges movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCq8XDgrP0
I haven't even seen The Three Stooges.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Bob I'm so sorry it was a bad week in movies but did you really have to subject us to the Three Stooges trailer?

It's almost like someone in Hollywood read where Transformers fans said Micheal Bay had rapped their childhood so Hollywood said if people love having their childhood violated then we are really going to bugger them good with this.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Hmm, sounds like it's not as completely terrible as I thought it would be. I'm still probably not gonna see it unless I'm unfathomably bored (Or chained to a bed).

Also, I think that Three Stooges trailer... there are no words. I don't know HOW you make physically assaulting Snooki unappealing, but by fuck they did it.