Escape to the Movies: The World's End

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
I loved this film when I saw it in theaters a few weeks back, why? I honestly couldn't tell you, its a very odd movie and describing why it is good is bloody difficult...

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
I loved this film, although it came out in Australia ages ago. Frankly, I felt it was the best of the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost/Edgar Wright collaborations. Certainly the best bit of acting Pegg has ever done. The ability of the film to strike a balance between comedy and genuine, devastating emotion was pretty phenomenal.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm really glad and relieved that this film is just as good as Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. I'm a massive fan of those two, and my dad loves them too. We'll have to go see it then!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
This movie is like if Simon Pegg and co were dropped into a Doctor Who episode. Not necessarily the best but definitely the funniest of the three.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Star Trek had like 10 episodes with some alien intelligence offering peace in return for free will, which Kirk ends up adamantly opposing. Not to mention most of Cold War era Sci Fi (body snatchers being a big one), it was largely analogous to the idealism and lack of individualism assosciated with Communism.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
This movie is like if Simon Pegg and co were dropped into a Doctor Who episode. Not necessarily the best but definitely the funniest of the three.
He's been in one or two, right?

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Loved this film when I saw it last week.
The movie isn't perfect by any stretch, but it never lets shaky moments in the story interfere with the film making at it's core, so it's easy to gloss over any faults.
Also DAT ENDING... Mmmph

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Whist I accept Bob's review of this as pretty much right. I take a little more um-bridge with his assertion that Hot Fuzz played broader strokes. With Wright shooting in his home 'city' (always use that term loosely with Wells) and Pegg being Gloucestershire man there is something distinctly Westcountry about it. Whilst it may be little more accessible there are entire parts of that movie you certainly won't quite understand where it's coming from unless your from these parts.

Also never saw the EU message in there I doubt anyone in Britain really did and more of anger against the lack of individuality in todays morden society. How everyone must look 'perfect' remembering the replacements are not replacement but the same person conforming. But also how by being more interconnected we are growing further apart and distant from the world.

The ending is the rejection of that society in possibly the greatest drunken argument ever.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
As a Brit I have to concur with what others have said about the possible EU message of the film; it isn't in there. It does reference the homogenisation of England though, which is largely seen as part of the ever encroaching American influence over the country, tied in with globalisation and neo-liberal capitalism.

Turning to the film itself, my viewing of it probably suffered for a few particular reasons. I had literally just watched both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, back to back, in the same screen where I saw The World's End. It was a triple bill showing of all three starting at about 4:30pm. Considering I had been on a massive pub crawl myself the night before, ending with my suddenly becoming aware that I was walking through Brighton, alone, and that it had gotten light at some point, sitting in a dark room for the best part of 6 hours was exactly what I needed.

TWE defintely bears for a second viewing; it's not as funny as SOTD or HF, but it has its moments and it's a good send off to the trilogy.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Crispee said:
Anybody else think the ending was kind of like...

...Mass Effect? An alien intelligence that manifests as pure light seeks to put an end to a cycle of violence caused by free will by using indoctrination, but is refused by the main character, the intelligence then destroys their advanced technology as a last ditch effort to pacify them for a while longer.
Oh, yes. And now when anyone asks how I would have preferred Mass Effect 3 to have ended, I answer with "Like The World's End."

It's just that having very human, down-to-Earth characters being very stubborn and bloody-minded in the face of a supposedly infinitely greater mind is a theme that I really, really enjoy.
Ending spoiler talk.

I agree, the great thing about the ending of TWE was that the main character's design to refuse The Network wasn't some grander plan to save all life and being portrayed as a difficult solution to a difficult problem, it was just some random drunk arsehole who was established as being too stubborn to reason with, even when he's wrong. And they don't ever suggest Gary made the right decision, seeing as he inadvertently altered the fabric of society to accomodate for his own damaged mind. Seeing as there was a clear suggestion he was bipolar or whatever caused him to slit his wrists.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
That was my thought exactly. It fell like a big budget (drunken) episode of Dr. Who and I loved it.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
luvd1 said:
elvor0 said:
luvd1 said:
Well, you liked it better then I when I saw it. I was not convinced with the chemistry of the crowd, the friendship they supposed to of had just did not excist for me and that kept poking me in the ribs like a five year old who's just seen the puppy and firework factory was having a sale.... And the end was total balls. I hate that 1st world techno fear ballshit. Gods i really hate that stupid shit.
ehhh, I think that was the point. Garry was completely estranged from all of them, and the rest of them didn't seem to have kept in contact /that/ much with each other. The chemistry was there, just it was distant, which worked in context that they hadn't really been together as a group and done that sort of thing in years.

Plus I don't think the techno fear was supposed to be a message, Pegg/Wright/Frost are all massive Sci Fi geeks, to the point where if they could afford it, they'd likely be investing in R&D of hoverboards. It seemed more like a "fuck you" to homogeneous bull crap, the idea of watering things down or changing them to fit in with the whole, removing any semblance of uniqueness that they had so they'll fit in. It's a theme that is presented early on in the film with the pubs being all chain bars, as opposed to local pubs, Kings argument with the thing at the end just felt like the culmination of that rather than techno fear. Of course it had some rather shite consequences (no more cornettos!) though.
You missunderstand my post. I'm talking about the acting. It's like when an actor does comedy. There's a difference between being funny and acting funny, it's a sort of uncanny valley. At no point did I believe in their characters being "alive", so could not invest in the back story. They were as unreal as the dups. And I'm not tlking about the message at the end, . I mean the actual ending after kings speech. When... You know
the world falls into a dark age coz modern technology no long works. For fuck sake, 1st world bullshit. Most of the world still doesn't have 24 hour electricity. We talking about just 40 years worth of tech being useless. "Planes will fall from the skies!!!!11111" so we go back to props again, phones will still work, any car 5 years or older will still run, trains too. Nothing will actully change. Only things like keking iPad, iPod, laptop and the Internet wont work. That is not the end of the fucking world!!
That stuff really gets on my goat.
Oh I got you were on about the acting, I just felt it worked in context, though to be fair we were pinted up ourselves when we watched so I was less scrupulous than normal. Though I still feel Pegg and Frost gave great performances. But if you didn't like it, you didn't like it, so I guess I'll leave it at that :)

In regards to the very ending
I think it was just a silly aside, set up for sole purpose of the 5 musketeers shtick, though I'm guessing from what happened to the town, there were big fuck off explosions, shown by Frost sitting in some ruins and the state of the world in general, plus the central intelligence stated that they'd had some 2000 places under control. You're right if it was an EMP of some description we wouldn't just zoom back to the dark ages. They didn't really show /enough/ of the after math to really show how bad off we were.

Could be worse, there's that show "Revolution" where the premise is "electricity stopped working one day". A show guaranteed to piss off anyone that did any degree of science. Or the Emberverse series, where it extends to fucking steam power, combustion engines and guns not functioning suddenly as well.

I did find it amusing however, that after the film finished, I stood up, demanded to my mates that we go to the pub, only to realise I was wearing almost the exact same outfit as Peggs character in the film.

Tribalism

Mar 15, 2010
I've got to agree with some other replies. The film may have been the weakest in the trilogy, but it's still a fantastic film. Anyone who saw the entire trilogy in one sitting likely has a lower opinion on the film than it's worth and owe it a revisit (myself included). The ending was a bit of a curveball, but I find that happened with every film in the trilogy (each film has a huge tone shift towards the end where the action/comedy is broken up by serious exposition). The message at the end was clear from Gary and it works on two levels.

It works on one level because out of all the people who had to defend the human race's right to be individual, he HAD to be the one. He was the most stubborn amongst the gang and had a lifestyle to validate.

On the other level, we view Gary with a sort of sadness. We see him as something different to the mundane office style job worker that at least Frost's character is (and most of the others are, actually). There's a rift between us and Gary. When we see Gary's drunken rant it's supposed to seem hammy and over the top and maybe we're not supposed to be cheering him on 100%. That rift shows there's room for individualism and there's nothing wrong with being a bit more Gary, though society may tell us otherwise.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Great film. My local cinema has already stopped showing it which sucks cause I wanted to go see it again. Not quite Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz but still a fantastic film!

Alluos said:
Loved this film when I saw it last week.
The movie isn't perfect by any stretch, but it never lets shaky moments in the story interfere with the film making at it's core, so it's easy to gloss over any faults.
Also DAT ENDING... Mmmph
"Five waters, please"

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
elvor0 said:
luvd1 said:
elvor0 said:
luvd1 said:
Well, you liked it better then I when I saw it. I was not convinced with the chemistry of the crowd, the friendship they supposed to of had just did not excist for me and that kept poking me in the ribs like a five year old who's just seen the puppy and firework factory was having a sale.... And the end was total balls. I hate that 1st world techno fear ballshit. Gods i really hate that stupid shit.
ehhh, I think that was the point. Garry was completely estranged from all of them, and the rest of them didn't seem to have kept in contact /that/ much with each other. The chemistry was there, just it was distant, which worked in context that they hadn't really been together as a group and done that sort of thing in years.

Plus I don't think the techno fear was supposed to be a message, Pegg/Wright/Frost are all massive Sci Fi geeks, to the point where if they could afford it, they'd likely be investing in R&D of hoverboards. It seemed more like a "fuck you" to homogeneous bull crap, the idea of watering things down or changing them to fit in with the whole, removing any semblance of uniqueness that they had so they'll fit in. It's a theme that is presented early on in the film with the pubs being all chain bars, as opposed to local pubs, Kings argument with the thing at the end just felt like the culmination of that rather than techno fear. Of course it had some rather shite consequences (no more cornettos!) though.
You missunderstand my post. I'm talking about the acting. It's like when an actor does comedy. There's a difference between being funny and acting funny, it's a sort of uncanny valley. At no point did I believe in their characters being "alive", so could not invest in the back story. They were as unreal as the dups. And I'm not tlking about the message at the end, . I mean the actual ending after kings speech. When... You know
the world falls into a dark age coz modern technology no long works. For fuck sake, 1st world bullshit. Most of the world still doesn't have 24 hour electricity. We talking about just 40 years worth of tech being useless. "Planes will fall from the skies!!!!11111" so we go back to props again, phones will still work, any car 5 years or older will still run, trains too. Nothing will actully change. Only things like keking iPad, iPod, laptop and the Internet wont work. That is not the end of the fucking world!!
That stuff really gets on my goat.

Oh I got you were on about the acting, I just felt it worked in context, though to be fair we were pinted up ourselves when we watched so I was less scrupulous than normal. Though I still feel Pegg and Frost gave great performances. But if you didn't like it, you didn't like it, so I guess I'll leave it at that :)

In regards to the very ending
I think it was just a silly aside, set up for sole purpose of the 5 musketeers shtick, though I'm guessing from what happened to the town, there were big fuck off explosions, shown by Frost sitting in some ruins and the state of the world in general, plus the central intelligence stated that they'd had some 2000 places under control. You're right if it was an EMP of some description we wouldn't just zoom back to the dark ages. They didn't really show /enough/ of the after math to really show how bad off we were.

Could be worse, there's that show "Revolution" where the premise is "electricity stopped working one day". A show guaranteed to piss off anyone that did any degree of science. Or the Emberverse series, where it extends to fucking steam power, combustion engines and guns not functioning suddenly as well.

I did find it amusing however, that after the film finished, I stood up, demanded to my mates that we go to the pub, only to realise I was wearing almost the exact same outfit as Peggs character in the film.
Oh don't get me started on that show... My head hurts just by the pitch of the thing.
I think the thing that was pulling me out of the film was oddly paddy considine and Eddie marsan, which saddens me. Two brillient actors but they just didn't seem as fleshed out as Simons, Nick or Martins. Eddies performance reminded me of the villan he played in will smiths Hancock. A none entity. Their characters just didn't seem that needed.

When Eddie's character was caught I was unmoved. I just didn't care. Same for paddy when he turned up at the end I was supriced coz I had forgotten he wasn't killed.... In fact now I think about it, the film picked up for me when it was just nick and Simon on screen

You know, I must of not been in the right mood for the film. In fact I think I'll see it again. I'm not afraid to challenge my own opinions.

Saioon

Aug 25, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
Saioon said:
Great film, though living in the town it was filmed in made it a slightly creepy experience.
Haha, I went to school there (assuming you mean Welwyn) - one of the warpiest parts of the film was when they went to the Tonic and it was completely different inside :p I'm a massive fan of Pegg and I managed to catch a bit of the filming, was really cool.
No, the other town it was filmed in, Letchworth, though they do cut between the two. More amusing that they made a film a bout a pub crawl here as until 15 years ago it was a dry town and there are only 3 pubs here. They had to use the cinema for the night club.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nice, I'll go and see it then. I liked the previous two, I think Hot Fuzz was my favourite, since I live in a place like that small town.

Also, I'm not sure that there's many people angry at us not fully joining the EU.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
The Gentleman said:
The entirety of all recommendations for this movie: did you like Shawn of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz? Then you'll like this movie...
I adored those films. I've loved these guys since the days of Spaced.

And I hated this movie.

It wasn't funny, it had no charm or spark, it just felt like an excuse for some wacky robot fighting hi-jinks with a rushed message about aging tacked on.

Rarely have I been so disappointed by a movie as I was by The World's End.

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
Just one thing the UK is part of the EU and most people agree we overall benefit from it, we just aren't as committed to it as Germany or France.