Escape to the Movies: Thor

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
Don't you mean 2011? You said 2001...

EDIT: Liked the review, definitely going to see that.
Also, I'll be honest. I stayed through the credits expecting a bonus scene...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Got it. I'll see it next week...

And stay through the credits. *sigh*

I hate all this post-credits bullshit. I know they want us to see all the people who made it. But am I really going to care about, yet alone remember, anyone outside the producer/directer/cast? NO. Stop trying to entice me to sit through credits.

I basically totally disagree with Bob's stances on games, but I've come to share his tastes in film. Despite still not watching too many...

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
Ok, there were actually kind of 2 character teasers: there's the one who spoke: whom most of us know who he is Hawkeye, and there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?

Incidentally: the guy that played Punisher in the last movie, "War Zone" played Volstagg in this movie.

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
Godd review. :) I went to see this on Monday and really enjoyed it so now I'm going to watch Iron Man, Hulk and Iron Man 2 then go and see Captain America. I really like these films now!

Belzera

Prinny Puncher
Apr 14, 2009
I really enjoyed Thor, although I don't know what I missed in the value :/

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Oh goodie, it doesn't suck! I thought of it as a 50/50 chance, so that's just dandy. I will make sure to watch this then, and I will most likely enjoy it. I do wonder how it'll be received here in Sweden though...

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
ArBeater said:
No surprises in this vid. Anything comic related=good

Anything that is modern video game related=bad
Not exactly he called the Prince of Persia movie the first good video game movie, but yet again he said the the POP games didn't seem too "Gamish" to him.

OT: I did like the movie, however it's far from the best Superhero movie and it's not even as good as spider-man in my personal opinion.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm apprehensive; I still think the Avengers is a bad idea and almost comes off as Marvel not getting that you can't do movies like comics even IF said movies are comic adaptations. Iron Man 2 suffered because of Marvel's pet project and I can't help like all their other films are going to suffer too.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Had so much fun with this movie last night that I can't not recommend this to anyone. It's funny, charming, adventurous, and most importantly, epic, when dealing with Thor. Finally Bob had a point in saying this was Marvel's biggest gambit and damn does it pay off.

Also Idris Elba was so damn good in the role that I'm hoping he gets a bigger role in Thor 2. I'm not saying the Avengers, because one other Asgardian besides Thor is going to play a role in that film...

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
I have to completely disagree with Bob on this one. I found every single scene on earth to be tonally at odds with everything going on in Asgard. The dissonence was such that I seriously wanted them to abandon the earth realm all together. The romance was dull and undetailed, and the larger-universe building was just as hamfisted and unnecessary as ever.
This could have been a really good movie, but in the name of fitting it in to the larger Avengers narrative, they severely hobbled this film.
This movie had no point but to introduce Thor, and it deserved a lot more than that.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
HankMan said:
This film looks absolutely Marvelous
I liked the reference at the end Bob, you really nailed it.
Your puns are making my eyes THOR.

Screw this, I gotta bolt.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Glad that you pointed out Brannaugh's role in making this movie, Bob. He's one of my all-time favorite actors and directors (Dead Again and Much Ado About Nothing are two of my favorite movies).

Really, really been looking forward to this: The Mighty Thor was the only comic book I collected as a kid. Glad to hear they didn't botch it.

Hmmm... I may have to skip out of work early and catch a matinée.

wehrp3nguin

Dec 21, 2009
Don't feel too bad about not knowing what year it is, I say 0-10, 0-11
Also, Who is that robot guy that looks like he could be Nimrod from X-men? I never read Thor comics, but now that I look at it, Nimrod sounds like an ancient bad guy name.