Escape to the Movies: Thor

Stir72

Jul 14, 2010
Futurenerd said:
Don't you mean 2011? You said 2001...

EDIT: Liked the review, definitely going to see that.
Also, I'll be honest. I stayed through the credits expecting a bonus scene...
I rewound that like 3 times to make sure I wasn't hearing things - sure enough...apparently it's 2001.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Antwerp Caveman said:
... there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?

Incidentally: the guy that played Punisher in the last movie, "War Zone" played Volstagg in this movie.
Pretty sure he was just a big guy, though your Punisher remark is probably the most thesible guess I've heard, as Marvel did recently regain the rights to The Punisher.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
gibboss28 said:
I've got a question but i'll put it in a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet

who was it playing what we're assuming is Hawkeye because I couldn't find it on IMDB for shit, anyone?
Jeremy Renner.

I'll be going to see this, thanks for the review bob.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Gabanuka said:
Um I missed the big reveal at the end. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I got Hawkeye btw, I mean the one at the end of the credits
The male scientist played by Stellan Skarsgård is brought to a secret vault, meets with Nick Fury who shows him what I assume to be the cosmic cube, suggesting that if they were able to tap into its power, it could be unlimited. Loki appears in a reflection and says "Sure, worth a shot." and Skarsgård repeats the senteance, implying he's under Loki's control now.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Agent Larkin said:
I'm guessing the guy with the bow is the hinted at future SHEILD agent?
Hawkeye if you've never heard of him.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
jboking said:
gibboss28 said:
I've got a question but i'll put it in a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet

who was it playing what we're assuming is Hawkeye because I couldn't find it on IMDB for shit, anyone?
Jeremy Renner.

I'll be going to see this, thanks for the review bob.
Cheers.
Yeah its well worth seeing, action wise there's not that much but I've got a feeling that it'll be all action when the avengers pulls up a seat. Which is A-OK with me.

Also I'm going to link this comic because its suitable.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Literally, LOL.

"It's a story about a guy who was a jerk and has to learn his lesson before he can have his hammer back so he can fight monsters."

Got me there, Bob. Now my coworkers all caught me watching videos at work. And they think I'm crazy.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
Lucane said:
Draconalis said:
I watched it last night and thought it was pretty alright, I'd give it a B, B+... which is better than my wife apparently. She thought it was a completely average film, awarding it a C by the end of the night.

I stayed through the credits, but since I don't know much about the marvel universe (thank the gods) I could have just as easily gotten up and peed earlier. If anyone could explain to me via PM as to not spoil, I'd be appreciative.

I think my major complaint is that half the movie was predictable... and it didn't seem very dramatic. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but the plot didn't really seem all that threatening or important.

I loved the space visuals though.
It's called a Cosmic Cube sort of a McGuffin to fight over basically. [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Cube[/link]

And yeah that's kinda been the set-up for all the Avenger heroes movies to a degree they can't all save the world by their self and then expect to work together to save the world if they just did that last week solo.
also potentially for a game changing twist in that
they're all fighting over it and suddenly it starts beating the shit out of them because that's all it's used to now... though including a box that spontaneously evolves into an actual entity might overload the level of acceptable preposterousness for non-comic book fans

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
MacNille said:
As i have not seen the movie yet, I still feel thorn on that a black guy (have not laid his name on my mind yet) plays Hemidal. It's just bug me as i'm huge fan of Norse mytholigy (I'm form Sweden). I will see it and pass my own judgment. Also don't throw the rascist card at me please :).
Too late!

http://www.ushanka.us/blog/images/RaceCard.jpg

Take that!!!

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Really great movie, much lighter than I expected but none the worse for it. They wrote Loki really well, even though it was easy to see his betrayal coming, what with Lokis usual place in Norse mythology, it was pretty cool about how everything he did seemed so reasonable for a good chunk of the movie.

MiracleOfSound said:
I'll go to this just to see Kat Dennings.

That woman is just... too hot for words.

Oh, there's plenty words for it. Just not words that can be used on a website as classy as this. Hot damn...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Thor

The Norse god of thunder hammers on to the big screen.

Watch Video
I'm thrilled to hear this, I really am.

1. They're willing to utilize different tones in the individual pieces, making sure that each character is established in his/her own voice. That alone makes it a promising endeavor.

2. They're improving each time, despite working with completely different casts and crews. That means there really may be a central, unifying vision behind it.

3. I think they've got the pacing of the releases just right. It's building momentum, but giving time between for viewers to clear their collective palette.

4. Say what you will about Joss Whedon, but the man knows how to handle ensembles. His treatment of characters is usually spot-on. You get a real sense of authentic identity without having to be beaten over the head with expository characterization.

5. Do I even need to say it? Boxed set. When it's all done, they need to make this happen.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
So wait... the item in question... according to Wiki, is related to a certain someone... and another certain someone in love with deadpool?!

DEADPOOL MOVIE! COME ON!

Deadpool could totally be worked into this story!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
ArBeater said:
No surprises in this vid. Anything comic related=good

Anything that is modern video game related=bad
Although Anything Comic realted HAS been good since Batman Begins. And Thor was brilliant.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
You have a talent for making lower-echelon mediocrity sound good ;)

Most of everything in the movie is a bit of a mess, but never enough to make you hate it by the end. That's all the credit I'll give it.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Sometimes I wish I was much younger when I go and see films like this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but I just miss being that 8 year-old kid seeing all those awesome Huns charge down on the mountainside in Mulan or waiting with baited breath to see if Buzz and Woody can make it into Pizza Planet disguised in a carton and a burger box. *sigh* But yeah, Thor was fun.

On another note:
Flash! aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!