Escape to the Movies: Thor

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
I thought it was kinda slow. I wanted to see more Thor action time but, like you said, it's about him getting his hammer back. Oh well... hopefully we get to see him crack down alot of thunder on baddies in the Avenger's movie.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
gibboss28 said:
I've got a question but i'll put it in a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet

who was it playing what we're assuming is Hawkeye because I couldn't find it on IMDB for shit, anyone?
Jeremy Renner

ArBeater said:
No surprises in this vid. Anything comic related=good

Anything that is modern video game related=bad
Wolverine: Origins.

That's all I have to say to that.

Anyway the movie was definitely great! And I loved the cameo appearance, though I think they could've looked a bit more the part.

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
Does anyone else appreciated that Thor and Jane Foster were just attracted to one another and only "liked" each other? If theres one thing I find annoying is how in films people fall in love in a matter of 2-3 days. With Thor I felt really surprised and pleased that Natalie Portman's character felt like a real person. She's flawed, smart, decisive, and simply crushes on a guy the way a normal person would. I love small things like that.

I also want to point out I made it a task to see this in 2D and am really glad that I did.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Fumbles said:
MacNille said:
As i have not seen the movie yet, I still feel thorn on that a black guy (have not laid his name on my mind yet) plays Hemidal. It's just bug me as i'm huge fan of Norse mytholigy (I'm form Sweden). I will see it and pass my own judgment. Also don't throw the rascist card at me please :).
Actually I agree with you, he did awesome...but... why is it only "white" societies that have to be multicultural? Take the frost giants they were entirely homogeneous...they didn't have any "black" frost giants. Now I know that they were blue, so there is alot of room for debate.
He was cast in the role because he fit the part. It is called not casting to type and it has been happening in hollywood for decades. If this was a history channel special on Norse mythology then yes the actor portraying Hemidal in the recreations should be Caucasian, but we must remember this is a comic book based upon the mythology not an accurate portrayal of the mythology itself. So it is totally fine that they casted a black man as Hemidal.
But in the comics, which the movie is based on, he was white....

Sep 17, 2009
Fumbles said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Fumbles said:
MacNille said:
As i have not seen the movie yet, I still feel thorn on that a black guy (have not laid his name on my mind yet) plays Hemidal. It's just bug me as i'm huge fan of Norse mytholigy (I'm form Sweden). I will see it and pass my own judgment. Also don't throw the rascist card at me please :).
Actually I agree with you, he did awesome...but... why is it only "white" societies that have to be multicultural? Take the frost giants they were entirely homogeneous...they didn't have any "black" frost giants. Now I know that they were blue, so there is alot of room for debate.
He was cast in the role because he fit the part. It is called not casting to type and it has been happening in hollywood for decades. If this was a history channel special on Norse mythology then yes the actor portraying Hemidal in the recreations should be Caucasian, but we must remember this is a comic book based upon the mythology not an accurate portrayal of the mythology itself. So it is totally fine that they casted a black man as Hemidal.
But in the comics, which the movie is based on, he was white....
He is black in Thor: The Mighty Avenger #6

BLUEMANRULE

Oct 4, 2007
I enjoyed the movie. Excellent review. I couldn't agree more. Loki's actor did a phenomenal job making the classic lunatic relatable. I think many will enjoy this movie. Let's hope the Captain pulls rank and brings it home.

That being said, I want a Ms. Marvel movie.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I liked it, it's no masterpiece but it sure was entertaining and very strange. Certainly fun to watch.
If I had a complaint it was that the romance between Thor and Jane felt kind of tacked on, even though really it should have been a major important part of the story. I keep assuming there were meant to be a lot more scenes than what we got.
Seriously though, Portman is a fantastic, fantastic actress. She won an Oscar for best actress of 2010, it seems a bit of a shame to have her not really get to do much.
Still she's absolutely beautiful so she still made for good eye candy but all the same.

Apart from that, everything was good. To be fair I don't know ANYTHING about Thor the comic so I just watched the movie on its own merits. And it was fun on its own merits. Watching Thor walking around a modern world with the attitude and swagger of a Norse God was oddly charming and appealling and it was nice to see a newblood Aussie actor get a huge role in his debute to cinema.

In any case I went to see Thor for five reasons:
1. To support an Aussie actor who had escaped from working on Home and Away
2. To see Anthony Hopkins go nuts with an eye patch
3. To see the black Norse God to prove that there should be no reason why a black man can't be a norse god.
4. To watch Vikings battle giant monsters from beyond the veil of time and space
5. To be given another oppurtunity to check out Natalie Portman.

The movie succeeded on all of these things, so it gets a pass.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
itf cho said:
Well, I saw the film this weekend, and with the exception of Bob's comment of Natalie Portman playing a "Plane-jane scientist" - Natalie Portman is never gonna look like a plane-jane anything, without a lot of effort
No kidding. I mean seriously:

There are goddesses in Greek Mythology that are more 'Plain Jane' then Natalie Portman.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
The only gripe I have about the movie is Natalie Portman's makeup; she's a bit too well done-up for 'plain jane', let alone an obsessive (yes, obsessive; she wanted to drive into the eye of a wormhole) astrophysicist. For the act that took part during the first day she should have had fifteen minutes to do her own makeup with a kit that was bought at wal-mart instead of having a makeup artist, then have a makeup artist remake that look for the various takes in that act. Second day onward when she's taking a shine to Thor then she can have a makeup artist do his/her work. Of course I also thought Sam could have stood to be a bit fatter in the first transformers movie, or at least have a clip of him on the track team or something - he wasn't weedy, he was fit, and that didn't really fit his character.

That's a pretty minor gripe, a bigger one would be that Loki flounders a bit near the end when Thor reappears. I personally think I could have done better, but then the movie would have gone on a lot longer. Someone asked me to tell them what I thought of it without spoiling anything, so I told her I think they needed to have a pair of every set, since every other actor is playing their part so hard they're practically chewing the scenery. At least it kept the talky bits entertaining (instead of excrutiating), and the comedy relief character was unobtrusive.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So yeah, saw the movie, it's awesome. Hawkeye's cameo was cool, it went over my family's heads, but the stinger at the very end... Didn't really surprise me all that much.

So Loki's alive? I thought as much. And what's that square thing Nick Fury wants the guy to look at?

lollerskating

Nov 25, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie. It made me laugh, it looked amazing (especially the Bifrost, man I wanna travel through space and time like that), the characters were likeable and the action was cool but didn't get in the way of the story.

What I liked most about it was Loki, though, instead of his brother. I've always had a thing for the bad guys and he wasn't even a bad guy as such, just a really messed up dude with a lot of reason to feel betrayed. I was seriously rooting for him, even though I know he's also got a really evil side to him, but this movie felt like his origin story, more than Thor's. 'Loki was once alright, if a little selfish, then some sh*t went down with his family and he decided to become the bad guy once and for all'. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. I don't know if it's considered spoilers since it's out everywhere on the internet,
but I seriously can't wait to see him embrace his conniving, slightly megalomaniac trickster side as the main villain in The Avengers.

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
It's always nice to be able to tell when Bob decided he was going to like a movie before seeing it. This movie was as bad as the Ironman films.

Triviumaddicted

Aug 23, 2009
I have a friend that hated this movie but thought that Priest was the best movie hes ever seen...someone please help me find reason behind his thinking

samwise970

May 2, 2010
I'm sorry, I just stopped watching when you said Natalie Portman was the dressed down, plain Jane girl in this. You can't take someone beautiful, put glasses on her and her hair in a ponytail (I'm speaking in general here), and call her the ugly girl, or even plain. It doesn't work that way.

Overall, the movie was fun for about two hours until it was over. Then I found myself asking why I bothered to watch it. There were no surprises, no real character development, no great action scenes or any special effects I couldn't have seen by playing Robot Unicorn Attack. Even after the credits, nothing interesting happened, Samuel L Jackson just once again strapped on his eyepatch and told the audience once again that all these superheroes will be joining to take your money very soon. It's getting boring and played out.

greyseven

Jan 16, 2011
I disagree with this. I feel like Thor's script was just screaming cut content and plot while flashing the over-the-top fantasy stuff riding on the humor and success established by Iron Man.

NotR

May 21, 2011
In my opinion, Iron Man wasn't good... but this movie (Thor) is just great. And I actually really like how seemingly unrefined and cheesy some parts of it are (ie the romance). I feel that it is balanced out by the great 'shakespearean' acting (odin and loki in my opinion were played amazingly well). This way, it doesn't feel intellectualy numb (like the majority of today's cinema) but at the same time doesn't carry through some underlined invasive message, nor does it chew through the fantasy with pseudoscience (again - a dominant tendancy).
One "bad" thing was that it felt as if it was too short :<