Escape to the Movies: Total Recall

Cluskey

Mar 17, 2010
People have already mentioned it but damn was your actual accent coming through there. Especially on the word "warfare" and "schwarzenegger".

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
This is exactly how I felt it would turn out based on the couple of scenes I saw before hand.

A scene by scene retelling of the original movie... but now it's pg-13.

Doomed to failure.

cervie

Apr 14, 2009
Bob, I love your work, I really do! But I can't help but feel that it has taken its toll on your ability to review movies from the perspective of an every-man. I know that its got to be because movie reviews is your job now, but it makes me sad that there are so few movies that you seem to enjoy... Maybe in this lull of blockbuster movies you could share a few older movies you DO enjoy? I prefer to hear a happy Bob over a down Bob, any day! So, come on, share some stuff that really gets you geeked!!! Please?

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I expected nothing better.

They need to stop remaking the same fucking movies over and over again, it's getting rather dull.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
love how his 'Bastin' accent popped up so much in this.

Anyway, didn't expect much for this when I saw the preview earlier this year - it actually made me sad they were trying to remake it. Glad to see it's not worth the money.

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
After seeing both an hour long documentary regarding the set building of Total Recall and a Sons of Guns special on Total Recall guns, it seemed like they were promoting the hell of it to cover up something. Guess we know why.

P.S. I like your accent. Is there any difference in ease between using either accent?

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
At first, I thought he was just over-emphasizing his accent to say AHNOLD's name, because ... well it's funny to make fun of some one else's accent with a completely unrelated accent. Or it could be. Because now I'm thinking about Schwarzenegger with a bit of Boston mixed into his standard speel.

As for the movie, somewhat unsurprised that it ended up being lackluster. Call my cynical (or don't, not like I care) but whenever a rated R 80s flick shows up with a new PG-13 rating, it smells like money grab. The original had heaps of over-the-top Schwarzenegger violence, tons of swearing and boobs, occasionally 3 at a time. A PG-13 remake just smells like "if you tone all that down, we'll sell more tickets"

Also completely agree about Colin Farrell. The movies where he's worked best, imo, have been things like In Bruges, Horrible Bosses, and even the hilariously bad Daredevil. Generic leading man #12 he isn't.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
anthony87 said:
C'mon Bob, we all know Spiderman was fantastic.
Spiderman seeemed like a movie that happened to have Spiderman in it. Instead of being a Spiderman movie.

It was a film that had, what appeared to be, a group of moderately good actors bogged down by a very boring and poorly written script.

It's sad really, I'd like to see these folks get a second try with a writer that actually cares. I thought the snarky Spiderman bits fit the character very well but were far and few between.

It wasn't TERRIBLE but it was forgettable which is a very big shame.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
What happened your voice or accent for this video? You had this I dunno lisp or something going on, made me think of Barry Kripkie from Big Bang theory.

CaptainPugwash

Mar 17, 2010
Really Australia is where the poor live, I have gone to both countries and I must say would rather live down under then anywhere else on the world and more so then the British isles, my god that is one of the most drab boring places in the world, and while every second animal in Australia might be able to kill you the weather more then makes up for it.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I didn't see the most important of questions addressed in this movie.

Does the remake have the 3 boobed chick?

...Seriously, that's all I wanna know.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Strain42 said:

Yes, but you don't see full frontal with her. That's another stupid thing is that they made this a PG-13.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Well after that plot description I was already bummed enough to not go see it anymore. Why does every pseudo sci-fi movie these days have to have some kind of dystopia based on social commentary? Chemical warfare? Elimination of the middle class? Please. Why not just keep it at a civil war on Mars? That's way more interesting. Ugh.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Great review, love the way you accent kept slipping through slightly. especially when you say Schwarzenegger.

Haven't seen Total Recall (original) will do now.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Aiddon said:
Strain42 said:

Yes, but you don't see full frontal with her. That's another stupid thing is that they made this a PG-13.
That made me happy...and then angry...and now just angry :p

I'm gonna go now. The internet is no place to be randomly angry over trivial matters.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
actually, another reason it sucks is because it's written by Kurt Wimmer who made Equilibrium and Ultraviolet. The guy can't write to save his life.