Escape to the Movies: Total Recall

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
I agree with MovieBob 100%, Kate Beckinsale is very hot

I'm usually a pretty nice and happy person, but for some reason I just love when these remakes, reboots, retellings, rehashes, re-whatevers fail. Just seems like a cheap cash grab using the barest minimum of effort. Ah well, guess I'm officially a grumpy old man at 34

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
For all the fun we made of old Arnold, his accent and his acting, this is the second modern-day remake of a movie of his that bombs. It must suck for the respective lead actors of Conan and Total Recall to hear from critics they didn't play the part as good as the Governator.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sis said:
Before watching the review: The first one was good? I mean, it's not bad for sure. But to call it good ...

After: I can kinda see your point. It plays itself too much like a serious movie in your eyes, wasting a lot of what made the original movie so much fun to watch. But, to be honest, that's my complaint about the original movie. That it doesn't take itself serious enough and has to resort to typical 80's and 90's futuristic and sci-fi sillyness.
I see what you mean. We in the born-in-the-early-to-mid-80's demo wear rose-tinted glasses on a lot of stuff from our youth, including Verhoven's Total Recall. This new version tried to seriously treat the themes from Philip K. Dick's original story of identity and reality, because that was Dick's whole thing.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Gatx said:
Anyone else think those soldier guys look like the sith soldiers from KoTOR? Maybe with the color palette of the mechs from Mass Effect 2?
On second look, they DO look like the Sith Troopers from the KOTOR games, but more like the Sith's battle droids! Now I can't unsee it, and neither will you!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
synobal said:
What happened your voice or accent for this video? You had this I dunno lisp or something going on, made me think of Barry Kripkie from Big Bang theory.
It might be that Bob's watched Yahtzee's latest video, saw it as throwing down the gauntlet, and accepted the challenge by letting his native Boston accent off the chain. Last time I remember him doing that was his Big Picture episode, "Continanity Rebooted".

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Okay I know we shouldn't love Bob for a gimmick which actually isn't a gimmick but ACCENT YAY YAYAY

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
SirPlindington said:
scott91575 said:
SirPlindington said:
Your accent came out really strong here. I wish you would do entire episode with your real voice. I think everyone else would agree.
I believe he did a while ago.
Really? Where?! I must see it!
The Shutter Island review for one, since that was set in Boston, or directed by a Bostonian, or something. It was definitely related to Boston somehow.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I just saw it, and it was pretty meh. The action scenes were as generic as you can get them, and nothing really "popped" I liked a few shoutouts to the original flick, but really, the original's better, but lacks the eye candy of whoever played the 3 bobbed whore (seriously, she was hot), Kate Beckingsale and Jessica Biel, who REALLY needs more work. Still, if you've nothing better to do, find it at the discount theater like I did. I wound up yawning and forcing myself awake through some of those action scenes, though.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
One day someone will make a movie when Australia TAKES OVER THE WORLD. They shall have kangaroo chariots and ze American shall do their bidding! >:)

Or even better - New Zealand, cheaper to make movies there and nobody hates NZ.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Aiddon said:
typical. Also, I realized that last year we got a crappy remake of an Arnold movie (Conan) and we got a crappy remake of one THIS year. And let's not forget we're also getting remakes of other Verhoeven flicks like Robocop and Starship Troopers (the latter of which is being played straight for some baffling reason)

I can't believe they spent $200 million on this; that's money they won't be getting back
Starship Troopers is one that actually should be remade but with a greater adherence to the book. At the very least, it will make for a more interesting movie.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Futuristic Australia? In the midst of civil war?! Sorry Bob, undomesticated equines could not stop me from watching this movie.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Sorry, but if there's no Mars, then there's no point.

Why?

Because then there's no "GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!!!"

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
The only thing this remake did was it made me watch the original two more times and read the original once again, thanks for that.

I like Bryan Cranston, but like Michael C. Hall in Gamer, it's casting pearls before... mainstream PG-13 folks.

I think it's a shame we cast the fog of stupidity over Total Recall, The Thing, Predator and pretty much any random movie these days.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I actually do want to credit this movie with one achievement.

It made me go back and watch the old movie again. It suddenly made me appreciate just how fun, crazy and actually kind of smart it was after watching how it could go horribly horribly wrong with a really bad sci-fi action slock like this remake.

I won't call it anything else cause it is just a remake. It has a few new ideas but about 60% of it comes from the previous movie and the rest of the movie lays on the super action hero stuff to thick for it to remain questionable reality or realistic dream.

Sad to see Hollywood so bankrupt it's starting to cannibalize it's own 90's catalogue. There is no reason to watch this now. Should just netflix it in a few months when it gets cheaper.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
AxelxGabriel said:
Sorry, but if there's no Mars, then there's no point.

Why?

Because then there's no "GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!!!"
So true, the concept of a secret agent on mars with the mind fuck that all of it might not be real was what made the movie good. By taking away the space aspect and taking its self too seriously makes for a boring movie that you dont even question if this is all in his head.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
SirCannonFodder said:
SirPlindington said:
scott91575 said:
SirPlindington said:
Your accent came out really strong here. I wish you would do entire episode with your real voice. I think everyone else would agree.
I believe he did a while ago.
Really? Where?! I must see it!
The Shutter Island review for one, since that was set in Boston, or directed by a Bostonian, or something. It was definitely related to Boston somehow.
I've just watched it, and as far as I can see, there wasn't any context for it. His accent just surfaced a lot. It was still fantastic having most of the review in that voice, though. Added a lot, I think.