Escape to the Movies: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
I just read the movie synopsis on wiki to see how movie went...I have no words...I can't say it's bad (as I know enough about plot development to comment as much as a roach)...but it feels uninspired. Glad to know I'm saving money to see captain america by avoiding this.

I was done after the second movie. I didn't mind the first so much, but the second one was so....ugh that I knew that I wouldn't go through a third one.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I'm so worried about Captain America... that's the one movie I was interested in that I have no idea where it'll be in quality. Next Dark Knight? Or Batman and Robin? It could fall ANYWHERE in that spectrum.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Well... at least they did replace Megan Fox with an actual good looking actress. I mean, i'm still not going to see the movie but... hey, no Megan Fox, it's certainly a pretty big plus.
However, she does manage what I thought was impossible by having EVEN LESS PERSONALITY than Megan Fox.

btw what has Mr Nemoy done to earn Bob's ire at the end of this video (apart from being related to Michael Bay obviously)?

Battle Catman

Jan 3, 2011
Canadish said:
worldruler8 said:
Battle Catman said:
nintendo414 said:
Did nimoy do something?
He voices Sentinel Prime and uses an old Star Trek quote "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

I don't see why Bob's taking such offense to it--it's an appropriate line considering the situation.
SPOILER ALERT
well, he was only destroying the race of 7 billion humans to safe what was left of the people of cybertron. which seems to be less then 7 billion.
END SPOILER ALERT
Considering what Bob mentioned the message of the movie is(STAY IN THE WAR MUTHAF***ERS), that also conflicts with the message of Star Trek was (Enlightenment and Peace).

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say for sure, but going by what I just heard about Nimoys role in Transformers is, I imagine it looks as though dear Mr. Spock is going back on what he used to believe.
Again, just based of what I know of StarTrek and what I heard in this review.
But Sentinel Prime isn't Spock. Nimoy isn't really Spock. They're just characters. This would be as illogical (see what I did there?) as expecting every character Liam Neeson plays to have a lightsaber and have trained Batman (though after watching "Taken," I wouldn't put it past him).

Not to mention Nimoy voiced Galvatron in the 80's cartoon Transformers movie, so playing a robot who has no qualms about blasting those who oppose him isn't completely new to him.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Although I'm not doubting how shitty this movie is, I said it before and I'll say it again:

STOP INSULTING THE AUDIENCE THAT LIKES IT.

It isn't funny. It isn't witty. It isn't some great statement on how "the people are at fault for bad movies". It does nothing but make you look like a dick.

Rip the movie to shreds. Call it every insult in the book. But STOP insulting those that do like it. Personal taste in movies does not have a direct correlation with intelligence.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i still like it. and i also think its better then the last 2 but would not say its great. yes, i also dont care about the humans but well, there are worse movies out there, like these from uwe boll.
i rather give mr. bay an oscar then boll.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
A few of my friends have terrible taste so we saw DotM. It's not as offensive as RotF but that doesn't make it any good. And it's just way too long. The climactic action sequence may actually look nice at some points but it's stretched out mercilessly just like everything else in the entire film. Also, I feel like I should be bothered by how casually Fox's role is completely forgotten. She was supposed to be fairly important to Shia, right? But he starts DotM already in a new relationship and everyone pretends there wasn't some other girl deeply involved in all that alien nonsense. I'd probably be upset if I cared about the characters at all. I guess it's not that noticeable since the new girl is just as bad an actress as Ms. Fox.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The Transformers movies are poison on my brain.

And I give Scalila (however you pronounce it) eight months, tops.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
Although I'm not doubting how shitty this movie is, I said it before and I'll say it again:

It isn't funny. It isn't witty. It isn't some great statement on how "the people are at fault for bad movies". It does nothing but make you look like a dick.

Rip the movie to shreds. Call it every insult in the book. But STOP insulting those that do like it. Personal taste in movies does not have a direct correlation with intelligence.
I agree with this 100%

I'm a Transformers fan, I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. Did it have it's issues. Sure. Do I hate Bay's take on it. Sure. Do I wish the movies were more about the bots themselves? Sure.

Is this an emmy winner? Probably not unless it is for sound design or special effects.

Having said that, while I agree with some points in this review, it is absolutely clear that this guys movie reviews are growing increasingly bias. It is almost as if he is trying to become the Yahtzee of movie reviews lately, without outright saying he is and trying to maintain credibility. Yahtzee at least has a charming humor about him when he does it though. Bob just sounds like a depressed life hater when he rants.

I won't be watching these reviews anymore. It isn't because I'm butt hurt over him bashing Transformers, or other movies, but because these reviews feel increasingly unprofessional, and more of fan boy depression rants.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Smokescreen said:
I am reminded of Bill Hicks's bit-- "People say, 'Don?t be hard on the New Kids [on the Block], Bill. They?re good kids. They?re role models.' When did banality and mediocrity become good examples for your children? They are demons sent to the earth to LOWER THE STANDARD."

And so it goes.
Two bona fide Hicks videos coming up, sir!

And so the message spreads...

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
ZeroMachine said:

The second I finished watching this my phone rang. My idiot friend invited me to watch this today. Incidentally he is not smart and likes bad movies. I will be going to watch this today and I will enjoy it. As Louis CK said "you don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart joke but you have to be stupid not to." Were was my point? Oh ya I'm not sure bob enjoys movie anymore.

Indecently are there more racist-bots in this one? Because those did ruin TF2.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Don't worry, Bob. The money I would have spent had I gone with some of my more...misguided friends last night to see this movie was instead spent on Comic Books. I think this worked out better for all involved :p

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
Battle Catman said:
Not to mention Nimoy voiced Galvatron in the 80's cartoon Transformers movie, so playing a robot who has no qualms about blasting those who oppose him isn't completely new to him.
Yes but Galvatron was a complete Dick-Piston from the start, where as Sentinal Prime is supposed to be the Lawful Good Autobot Leader so him turning around and trying to just give up is really messed up and makes no real sense(also wasn't the fallen's ship on the moon as well? i mean it had to of been some where close to earth for meg's to even get to it with out a ship of his own)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
RJ Dalton said:
Arkvoodle said:
Michael Bay's interpretation of things is by no means the worst thing to ever happen to Transformers.
Dare I ask what was?
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kiss_Play
I know this is not the actual reason why, but I can't help but remark on the irony that the only thing you can think of that's worse than the Live-Action Transformers movies was a comic that actually ties the continuity of the LA Transformers to the original animated cannon.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Wait, he didn't like it?

I'm surprised.

Honestly. I saw it last night and enjoyed it.

Can we drop the pretence that we go to these movies for any semblance of plot? We go to them to 3 hours of robots and explosions. I was happy paying £8 for night of splosions.
That's the problem, though. You do not get "a night of explosions" when you see this movie- you get ninety minutes of uninspired yet schizophrenic plot, followed by a few explosions, most of which take place in the background while the unlikable characters continue with the uninspired yet schizophrenic plot.

In the words of Roger Ebert, "It's not what a movie is, it's how it's about it." This is a bad "explosion" movie.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Bob, why you do this to yourself? And I'm worried about you. You're getting your hopes up for Captain America? I'd like it to be good too, but so far it looks like it's too serious to be vintage comic throwback fun and too goofy to be a serious war movie what with all the shield-slinging and red skull faces.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Aiddon said:
well, let's see if this thread breaks the record set by the Expendables.

Also, did you cry a bit when Ehren Kruger (yeah, the guy who brought us Scream 3 and Skids and Mudflap) raped one of the most iconic Star Trek lines EVER? The only thing worse than that is Bay constantly exploiting imagery of the WTC incident and even the fucking Challenger explosion. Fuck you, Bay, I hope you get raped by hobos.

This entire YEAR has been terrible for movies. Like Travers over at Rollingstone said, if we had the Oscars right now it would be a disaster. It's like a reverse version of 1982; there's a lot of product being shown at theaters, but it's ALL CRAP (except for X-Men: First Class)
"This man makes movies I don't like, so i hope that because of this he is violently sexually assaulted. That's totally proportionate retribution for making bad films right? mean he used a famous Star Trek line. That's totally worthy of him being the victim of one of the most heinous crimes in existence"