Escape to the Movies: Tron: Legacy

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
ThisNewGuy said:
Sounds interesting.

But, how were they supposed to save the world and change everything? Or am I just completely off?
Maybe it comes more from the fact of what you can do with them that can be helpful to humans. I mean, their code is just like DNA. I'm thinking you could probably pull up a human's DNA on the grid and remove whatever was ailing them or rewrite really sadistic individuals. I don't know.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
mattaui said:
Really, for those of you who claimed to have watched the show and appreciated it for anymore than just eye candy (because hey, I can't fault you if you just liked the pretty lights and sound), I have to wonder how you can defend the show as anything but an opportunistic mishmash of fragments and homages to sci-fi shows of the last two decades that bears little if any resemblance to the original Tron.
Maybe because it did resemble the original TRON to me. A movie with an interesting concept that wasn't taken to it's true potential at all. Slightly funny and entertaining but still kinda lame. However, I wasn't going into this movie to pull it to pieces. It's a movie based on an already stupid concept. A concept made by someone who clearly knew jack shit about computers. If this or that was off I didn't care so much because the whole concept is stupid.

Don't insult my intelligence though saying pretty colors and music was all I came for. I found some of the characters very entertaining. The story had some interesting concepts that allowed me to fill in the blanks when they didn't explain. Some things were dumb and others lost potential but shoulda, woulda, coulda just ruins a movie experience for me. I go to have fun not to *****. If that means giving some flaws a pass then fine. If that means just making fun of the whole film because I really can't get into it then fine.

MaccGyver

Feb 5, 2010
ThisNewGuy said:
MaccGyver said:
ThisNewGuy said:
I kinda don't get the whole thing about ISOs. But other than that, I really enjoyed this film. Love all the action
***********SPOILER************

As best I could tell, the ISOs are sentient programs that were not coded by any user - according to Flynn's dialogue, the conditions in the system were simply correct for them to come into being, analogous to life on earth if you are a fan of the "evolution from primordial soup" theory.

If you look at the Tron mythology established in both movies, the users are the creators (Gods) to the programs, who are aware they were "built" by someone outside of their world. The ISOs, on the other hand are the miracle of life without creation - their digital DNA was formed without any input from an outside source; once whatever conditions that were necessary for them to come into being were met, they simply were.

How that works is left up to the audience to decide (for now at least, since I assume they'll delve a little deeper into this issue if a sequel is green-lighted). I like to think the primordial soup analogy is a pretty good example. On earth, Chemicals were present in specific proportions that allowed cells to develop and begin working with each other, and over the course of millennia evolved into life as we know it. In Legacy, I imagine algorithms and bits of code, perhaps from old/deleted AI software, sitting in a recycle bin on some long forgotten portion of the grid linking up and working together to generate the ISOs' digital DNA (just like early cells) in order to "birth" the ISOs, although on a infinitely faster timescale due to the difference in the nature of digital vs analogue (biological) systems.

Anyone get a similar vibe?
Sounds interesting.

But, how were they supposed to save the world and change everything? Or am I just completely off?
Nocturnal Gentleman said:
ThisNewGuy said:
Sounds interesting.

Maybe it comes more from the fact of what you can do with them that can be helpful to humans. I mean, their code is just like DNA. I'm thinking you could probably pull up a human's DNA on the grid and remove whatever was ailing them or rewrite really sadistic individuals. I don't know.
I think Nocturnal's got a good handle on what they were going for (though I don't think Flynn would approve of "rewriting" a troubled/sadistic individual). Above and beyond curing disease with digital DNA that could be applied once a person was digitized into the grid, think about ideas like writing code for replacement organs genetically tailored to the individual which could then be "built" using the laser and raw materials in the real world.

On an even deeper and more spiritual level, just consider the implications of sentient life other than humans... it has all (if not more) of the significance of finding extraterrestrial life. Digital or not, the ISO's are sentient beings who have evolved on their own, and as demonstrated by Quorra at the end of the film, can successfully interface with our physical universe (this still bugs me, and I need a sequel to Legacy if only so this idea can be fully explained/explored...)

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Maybe because it did resemble the original TRON to me. A movie with an interesting concept that wasn't taken to it's true potential at all. Slightly funny and entertaining but still kinda lame. However, I wasn't going into this movie to pull it to pieces. It's a movie based on an already stupid concept. A concept made by someone who clearly knew jack shit about computers. If this or that was off I didn't care so much because the whole concept is stupid.

Don't insult my intelligence though saying pretty colors and music was all I came for. I found some of the characters very entertaining. The story had some interesting concepts that allowed me to fill in the blanks when they didn't explain. Some things were dumb and others lost potential but shoulda, woulda, coulda just ruins a movie experience for me. I go to have fun not to *****. If that means giving some flaws a pass then fine. If that means just making fun of the whole film because I really can't get into it then fine.
I don't recall insulting anyone, I just hadn't really seen anyone provide much backup for why they thought Tron was a great film. You don't seem to think it was great, just that it wasn't bad, or maybe that you just went to make fun of it, it's a little hard to tell. I thought the storytelling aspect of it was nearly nonexistent, and that's as much a part of a movie as the sets, lighting and sound.

I, too, go to enjoy a movie and typically hope that there's the barest of narrative that makes sense, without having to sit there and do the scriptwriter's job for him. The plot of the original Tron was blissfully simple: Cheated programming genius Kevin Flynn seeks evidence that coworker Ed Dillinger stole his work, but gets more than he ever bargained for when he finds himself in a computer fantasy world, inadvertently the savior of the repressed programs within, though in the end recovering the proof he needs to redeem himself. The best plots can be simplified down into a sentence. If you have to write a paragraph to explain the main storyline of a book or a movie, it's going too many directions at once.

They had a whole lot of good ideas for Tron Legacy, but rather than try to do one or two, they just threw them at the wall and let them slide down, so a movie that starts out looking like it's going to be the son of the lost founder bringing a wayward company back to his father's vision, and rescue his father in the process, turns into some mishmash dealing with artificial life, existential philosophy and, apparently, an invasion from the digital world into our own, just to add some actual tension to the plot at the end when they were scrambling to wrap things up.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
mattaui said:
I don't recall insulting anyone, I just hadn't really seen anyone provide much backup for why they thought Tron was a great film. You don't seem to think it was great, just that it wasn't bad, or maybe that you just went to make fun of it, it's a little hard to tell. I thought the storytelling aspect of it was nearly nonexistent, and that's as much a part of a movie as the sets, lighting and sound.
It just felt that way saying people only enjoyed shiny things and music. Yes, I'm in the boat that the movie wasn't great but I had a fun time. There were parts of the movie I enjoyed immensely (mostly the arena and the club scene) and there were parts I didn't like so much (the board meeting, iso mention, and so on). Even though I really didn't like certain parts I didn't feel like they were horrible enough to ruin the movie. Also, like I mentioned before if there are parts I can't get into I make fun of them. Our whole theater was doing that.

I also agree that they didn't explain much. Then again I feel like if they explained most of the major questions the movie would have been waaay too long. A lot of it I felt was brought up to be explained later. This definitely isn't the first movie to do that, so it didn't bother me much. I also like filling in the blanks with my own ideas.

It also helped that I had a surplus of dumb people in my theater. Their comments only added to the laughs.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
A lot of times during the movie, I found myself regretting that this was, at its core, still a Disney movie. This universe seems so rich and full of possibilities, and it just feels like the movie focuses on the least interesting bits of it.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
MaccGyver said:
ThisNewGuy said:
MaccGyver said:
ThisNewGuy said:
I kinda don't get the whole thing about ISOs. But other than that, I really enjoyed this film. Love all the action
***********SPOILER************

As best I could tell, the ISOs are sentient programs that were not coded by any user - according to Flynn's dialogue, the conditions in the system were simply correct for them to come into being, analogous to life on earth if you are a fan of the "evolution from primordial soup" theory.

If you look at the Tron mythology established in both movies, the users are the creators (Gods) to the programs, who are aware they were "built" by someone outside of their world. The ISOs, on the other hand are the miracle of life without creation - their digital DNA was formed without any input from an outside source; once whatever conditions that were necessary for them to come into being were met, they simply were.

How that works is left up to the audience to decide (for now at least, since I assume they'll delve a little deeper into this issue if a sequel is green-lighted). I like to think the primordial soup analogy is a pretty good example. On earth, Chemicals were present in specific proportions that allowed cells to develop and begin working with each other, and over the course of millennia evolved into life as we know it. In Legacy, I imagine algorithms and bits of code, perhaps from old/deleted AI software, sitting in a recycle bin on some long forgotten portion of the grid linking up and working together to generate the ISOs' digital DNA (just like early cells) in order to "birth" the ISOs, although on a infinitely faster timescale due to the difference in the nature of digital vs analogue (biological) systems.

Anyone get a similar vibe?
Sounds interesting.

ThisNewGuy said:
Sounds interesting.

I think Nocturnal's got a good handle on what they were going for (though I don't think Flynn would approve of "rewriting" a troubled/sadistic individual). Above and beyond curing disease with digital DNA that could be applied once a person was digitized into the grid, think about ideas like writing code for replacement organs genetically tailored to the individual which could then be "built" using the laser and raw materials in the real world.

On an even deeper and more spiritual level, just consider the implications of sentient life other than humans... it has all (if not more) of the significance of finding extraterrestrial life. Digital or not, the ISO's are sentient beings who have evolved on their own, and as demonstrated by Quorra at the end of the film, can successfully interface with our physical universe (this still bugs me, and I need a sequel to Legacy if only so this idea can be fully explained/explored...)
I see. So it's like the ISOs are evidence towards evolution, and can be used to study human genetics and real world evolution. But how do we know that these ISOs' genetics are similar to human genetics?

I mean, I can see that they are evidence towards the theory of evolution, but in terms of curing diseases, it's a bit more of a stretch.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
reddog247 said:
My only problems with the movie are few...

1)Sam enters the digital world in his real world clothes.
2)Though it was cool to see CLU return as the new villain; where is BIT?

3)Where is TRON?" What?! They can have Alan in the movie but not his creation?

and 4) The costumes... I was expecting something more like the characters from TRON 2.0

After all; The face of the character was just to tell you who it's "user" is.
Possible Spoilers below....

Did you watch the film? Tron IS in it. He's basically CLU's right hand man...

Locutus9956

Nov 11, 2009
Bravo Bob, that's more like it, great review that I think pretty squarely nailed it on the head. Also, I must say Olivia Wilde... wow. That will be all ;)

Locutus9956

Nov 11, 2009
Disclaimer: The following reply will have some spoilerage, read no further if you havent seen the movie yet, though if your reading comments thread about a movie review and dont want to see spoilers I guess you kind of deserve what you get anwyay ;)

However please note, Mr Reddog247 some of your comments questions make me think you may have only seen the review/trailers and not watched it yet... if this is the case, stop reading now, go watch the movie, it will answer pretty much all your questions (or should at least!) if you have already seen it or still dont get these after watching then read on ;)

reddog247 said:
My only problems with the movie are few...

1)Sam enters the digital world in his real world clothes.
Ok thats inconsistent with teh first one, but honestly does it REALLY matter? It's just an excuse to put in the whole 'putting on the outfit' scene which was pretty cool I thought

reddog247 said:
2)Though it was cool to see CLU return as the new villain; where is BIT?
Bit is sort of in there I think. I think thats what was on the mantlepiece in Flynns 'appartment' but it's clearly died.

reddog247 said:
3)Where is TRON?" What?! They can have Alan in the movie but not his creation?
Um he is in the movie throughout most of it, it's not expressly stated till later on but I mean, its so obvious.... the only way I can imagine you asking this is if you havent seen it yet...

reddog247 said:
4) The costumes... I was expecting something more like the characters from TRON 2.0
after all; The face of the character was just to tell you who it's "user" is.
The costumes work. Cora's costume REALLY works (ifyaknowwhatimean ;)). TRON 2.0 was cool, but in the end, it's a video game and apparently isnt canon from what I've read/heard.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
It was good, but I will say the 3D wasn't worth it. In fact, before the movie started, it said "This movie was made with certain sequences that were meant to be viewed in 2D. Please put on your 3D glasses and enjoy the movie."

So the 3D is meh, BUT! The movie was good. It stumbled for me a few times, but it was enjoyable to watch and it is something I may buy on DVD.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
bahumat42 said:
seriously just because you have any interest in daft punk i say "GO SEE THIS" honestly listening to their soundtrack in that film is worth entry price if you have any interest in the band. Let alone the decent action set pieces and well worked cgi. HIGHLY RECCOMEND for any1 who's a daft punk fan.

In fact im going to go listen to the credits song again.
I will see how I go.

Enter the Void is screening in a much more limited release locally also (only 2 sessions a day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI89ovR36r0

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus is screening exactly once per day in the late show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7ck5mcd1o

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
WTF was the point of Michael Sheen? Seriously...you get a great actor like that and have him be on screen for 10 mins?

And that whole deal with Daft Punk...great as 10 sec cameo but the way they did it in the movie felt forced and awkward.

And Tron magically becomes good again because he saw Jeff Bridge's sad face? C'mon...

So disappointed...glad i didnt pay for 3D

MaccGyver

Feb 5, 2010
ThisNewGuy said:
I see. So it's like the ISOs are evidence towards evolution, and can be used to study human genetics and real world evolution. But how do we know that these ISOs' genetics are similar to human genetics?

I mean, I can see that they are evidence towards the theory of evolution, but in terms of curing diseases, it's a bit more of a stretch.
I assume that Flynn got a chance to study the ISOs a least a little before the purge, and then he had Quorra to study/learn from the whole time he was in exile. But I agree it's a stretch - without further explanation (crossing my fingers for a sequel simply for this...), the ideas presented in Legacy border on obtuse. That said, it was still a fun ride, and I really do hope people put up with it's imperfections and it makes enough that we get a better film in the future.

MrGone86

Mar 5, 2010
Sort of spoilers, I guess, in response to the "it wasn't even shot in 3D" stuff.

The movie WAS shot in 3D. It's not a "Clash of the Titans" thing where they did it afterwards, it was shot in Stereoscopic 3D. The thing at the beginning is in reference to the parts that bookend the film that take place in the real world, which were filmed and are meant to be 2D. The disclaimer was basically saying "don't freak out because the first stuff isn't in 3D. It's supposed to be like that." It'd be like if there was a disclaimer at the beginning of "Wizard of Oz" telling people that the first part is supposed to be in sepia tone, it's not a projection error.