Escape to the Movies: True Grit

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
jaing1138 said:
Pariahwulfen said:
Hey now, I grew up in the snow belt and I LOVE snow, I envy you bastards right now.
OT:What do you think about "The Rock" since that seems to be the film that got Michael Bay into the Criterion Collection [http://www.criterion.com/].
Love that film, the Rock is Michael Bays masterpiece at least compared to his other films. It has a kick arse soundtrack, a good plot, nicholas cage and sean connery are brilliant not to mention ed harris. Only problem I had was how badly owned the navy seals accompnying sean connery and nicholas cage were, i know they were surrounded and had no cover but they didn't even take a single enemy down in about 20 seconds of uniterupted fire; was anyone else othered by that? Oh and the film has probably the best car chase sequence i've ever seen.
To be fair as well Transformers 1 was alright. Michael Bay has made some awful films but he's still better than m.night shamaylan(is that spelt right?). But I can kinda understand bob's view about douches liking armagedon, pearl harbour and bad boys. Still don't see why he was apologising to michael bay though i'd have said calling the fans of the films douches was more deserving of an apology than insulting the director who hasn't had a great track record. You can't really sterotype a films audiance because you don't like the film or its director, i mean i like unbreakable doesn't mean that I automaially like all of the crap m night shamaylan has done and his now very non sensical plot twists the 6th sence and unbreakables plot twists make sence but it does seem that he's pulling stuff out of his arse now.
O.T: Michael Bay fans aren't douches, just the ones who view him as a cinematic genius like spielburg or believes the impression that most of michael bays film give that america is the best country ever. Just for a laugh though who would like to see michal bay do a vietnam war film?

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Anyone else find that drunken intro as painful as i did?

On topic, really REALLY excited for this film.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
Dana22 said:
What a crappy top 3 :D

And whats wrong with Transformers ? I mean, Ive never been into transformers so I cant compare it to source material. But it seems like a decent "non-thinking" action flick, I had more fun watching it then say, Expendables.
But it seems like a decent "non-thinking" action flick,
This is true.

But it is also what makes it what Bob calls a film for Douche-bags. Non-thinking, stupid jokes, some stereotyping with flat characters, etc.

As for people that didn't like True Grit...different strokes, different folks. Western style isn't for everyone. I haven't seen it, but guessing thats why it got 80, because its a damn good western, and some of you guys don't like that genre.
Likewise...
Biggest Disappointment: Iron Man 2 and every coming marvel film
Total disagreement for me, loved the movie. Thor might be a bit iffy, but seems like they're trying hard. Green Lantern had a minor rough spot, but nothing too bad and honestly, contrary to all insane fans, the concept is silly and stuffing everything from continuity in would just cause the movie to bomb, hard, and it STILL couldn't possibly be the film they want. I'm a lot more optimistic about Captain America. Just as long as they remember to make him very non-American by todays standard, but fitting the ideal that americans are meant to strive towards, cool speeches and all.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Being a resident of NYC i will be one to punch you if you said it was fun to get all that snow after Xmas!

the silver lining is we got a day off on monday \o/

wiiwiieddie

Mar 3, 2010
you think the snow was bad on you in boston? at 3am on the 26th there was a fire at my house! now granted the fire wasent that bad other then some smoke and firefighter damage but if you count the fact that there was a Blizard later and there was a giant hole in my house...yeah.

Blazeaga

Dec 10, 2010
I watched it but it kind of bored me towards the middle, thou i just get bored easy so it is probably my fault. About michael bay, i must commend Movie Bob on his apology, and if you are reading can you please define why he is so "douchy" like i understand certain aspects of it, like his dodgy graphics, not so smart focus on the relationship between sam and megan fox ( forgot her name lol ).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
I think Im the only one who saw Scott Pilgrim as an overly self-important teen hipster movie, or at least the only one that got put off by it. I mean different strokes for different folks sure, but strip away the flashy visuals and angst and you have just about every love drama ever made without a particularly redeeming, well-told story to back it up. First movie in a long time that I've ever left before it ended.

Anyways, True Grit is one of those movies that I think are good but not great, and thats the vibe I get that MovieBob is trying to get across as well.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
The Social Network sucked!

There, I said it, I feel better now.

=)

(For those that will complain my post wasn't constructive, let's just say the film was a boring hipsterfest with a lineup of unlikable characters trying to impress you by talking too fast. Oh, and trying too hard to be an asshole, STILL MAKES YOU AN ASSHOLE!!)

Oh...

And the next person that calls this flick the "Citizen Kane of our Generation" is getting severely scourged then sewn into a stout leather bag with a dog, a snake, a rooster, and a monkey, and then thrown into the river Tiber.

-_-

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Pugiron said:
Expendables was still much more fun than you ever will admit, and Scott Pilgrim still was much less fun than you pretend. It was about Hipsters. hipsters never have fun, ever.

And True Grit was great, much more real feel to it than the John Wayne version.
dude i hate hipsters, but that was honestly a great movie, every person I've met thats seen it has always agreed with me it was a great movie, and the Expendables? i almost fell asleep in the theaters *yawn*

seriously though it's an opinion and a lot of people i know would agree with him so um yeah

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
No liberties taken in the original? Last I remembered, the little girl kept her arm in the movie. Not so in the book. How about this one? Do they go for the "she's okay!" happy ending this time, or do the "she had her arm amputated and died old and alone" thing that they did in the book?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Caiti Voltaire said:
I think Im the only one who saw Scott Pilgrim as an overly self-important teen hipster movie, or at least the only one that got put off by it. I mean different strokes for different folks sure, but strip away the flashy visuals and angst and you have just about every love drama ever made without a particularly redeeming, well-told story to back it up. First movie in a long time that I've ever left before it ended.

Anyways, True Grit is one of those movies that I think are good but not great, and thats the vibe I get that MovieBob is trying to get across as well.
No, you're not the only one.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Hatchet90 said:
No reason to apologize Movie Bob, your Transformers 2 review is easily one of my favorites. I enjoy your reviews because you take a side, you don't beat around the bush stating the pros vs. the cons.

You just say whether or not the movie is worth our time and you don't care what other people think of your opinion. I love how people are offended when MovieBob makes fun of them for seeing a movie, but no gives a damn about Yahtzee calling everyone a twat every week. Plus, anyone who actually enjoys a Michael Bay film IS a douchebag, there's not one person I've met who enjoyed Transformers who wasn't.
I don't believe your right on saying that no one calls foul when yahtzee bad mouths something or have you already forgotten the responses too monster hunter, final fantasy 12, and red dead redemption reviews?

Also I enjoy the transformers movie and I'm a perfectly standup guy I'll tell you what. Stereotyping is easy to do but to do it publicly and mean it shows a fair amount of ignorance on ones part.

APSunder

Filmmaker
May 25, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Inception should have been the "most overrated movie".

Hey, it's great, but really....
Watch the movie again, find the wedding ring in the seven shots it's in the movie, and then come back and comment that it was overrated.

...No Inception on this list gets a resounding.....BBBBBWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Sep 17, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
BobDobolina said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Bob, your 2010 review list is spot on.
Why, thank you.
Your wel-...

icwhatudidthar

Nautical Honors Society said:
How was Scott Pilgrim, a fairly decent tongue in cheek coming of age story, considered better than Black Swan? Have you even seen that film? It was incredible.

OT: I really liked True Grit, an all around well acted, well scripted, and well directed western.
Because scott pilgrim was AMAZING!
Not really. It was just a good movie. Black swan on the other hand, now that is an amazing movie.

Sep 17, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
How was Scott Pilgrim, a fairly decent tongue in cheek coming of age story, considered better than Black Swan? Have you even seen that film? It was incredible.

OT: I really liked True Grit, an all around well acted, well scripted, and well directed western.
Of course he saw Black Swan, he reviewed a few weeks ago. I don't understand why Scott Pilgrim was as popular (I probably shouldn't say popular as it tanked in the box office due to marketing to a group of people who don't pay for anything.) as it was, it was an alright film, but not film of the year worthy. I think Inception was much better then any of the films he suggested. But then again, Bob and I never agree on which movies are good.
I know he saw it I was being condescending and facetious not literal.

Inception was great! But Black Swan was still much better.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Hey, Bob? I'm all for a good bit, but an "excessive slurry drunk" bit is a visual bit, not an audio one. And no drunk would ever messily slurp a rum and coke like that, unless they were sixteen drinking for the first time. Doing an overplaying of reality is much better than massively exaggerating a cartoon drunk.

Not a bad review though, you keep your educated content quality high, so, good and the bad.

misterprickly said:
I saw this film and I thought it was ironic how the title "True Grit" applies more to the girl than any of the men.
...which is kind of the point of the idea. That the girl was reportedly tougher than the gun slinging, booze-swilling, tongue-in-cheek rough-and-toughs is where the title applies. It denies the immediate expectation, and says that here's this little girl in an over-sized hat, look how well she can cope will all of life's shit.