Escape to the Movies: True Grit

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
So recorded on tuesday, with rum and coke, to celebrate the new year...

AA, Mr. Bob, AA! It's only 12 steps! You can do it!
AA IS FOR QUITTERS......and i know how you feel Mr.BOB...NYC pretty much closed down on the 26th.....i hate the snow

SuperRobot64

Mar 22, 2010
Pugiron said:
Expendables was still much more fun than you ever will admit, and Scott Pilgrim still was much less fun than you pretend. It was about Hipsters. hipsters never have fun, ever.
wait, what did those hipsters do to you anyway? besides, Scott Pilgrim is barely a hipsters movie, I'ts more like a nerd movie (my 2nd favourite movie of the year too!).

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
The maker you can apologize too, but the fans, no they're still all stupid meatheads that pushed you around in high school? Gotcha.

SapphireD910

Dec 24, 2010
Wasn't huge on seeing True Grit unless someone wants to take me. Just not my usual type of film, but it does look good for what it is.

A little disappointed, as others, that Inception wasn't on the best list. Also Black Swan, but maybe that falls more into next year since it's still out and playing. I would argue that Kick Ass should have been more like #4 or 5. After reading the comic I realized that they tried to make all the characters more likable and give them happier endings. Still like it, but it feels like it was sprinkled with sugar where sugar doesn't belong.

God, I just realized, all three of Bob's choices were about underdog young white males that take the one thing they feel they're good at and use it to form popularity or gain respect. Even if all that is is getting your butt kicked. Woah!

On another note. I only like snow when it gets me out of classes and doesn't really damage or harm anything. Otherwise, where I am we get a lot of black ice when it rains for days and then just drops below freezing... ugh! So at least snow is pretty and obvious to see.

Master_Fast

May 6, 2009
Someone somewhere pulled a string at the Escapist to make Bob rescind his comment. He wouldn't just do that. Especially now, a year and a half later.
He did NOT do that of his own free will.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
I just came to say, Bob, if you have problems with snow, the I formally invite you to come to where I live in Perth, Western Australia and enjoy an Xmas day at about 37°C.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Am I the only one that thinks it is just weird/kinda wrong to remaking a John Wayne movie? And I liked Bad Boys 2, even if it was directed by him. >_>
True Grit was directed by the Coen Brothers, not Michael Bay.

idiot445

Aug 19, 2008
So, I haven't read through all the comments, but has it been completely forgotten that Michael Bay directed The Rock? I'm not a fan of any of his movies except for The Rock, but I'm curious to know if that's an exception or I'm still a douchebag.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
How was Scott Pilgrim, a fairly decent tongue in cheek coming of age story, considered better than Black Swan? Have you even seen that film? It was incredible.

OT: I really liked True Grit, an all around well acted, well scripted, and well directed western.
Of course he saw Black Swan, he reviewed a few weeks ago. I don't understand why Scott Pilgrim was as popular (I probably shouldn't say popular as it tanked in the box office due to marketing to a group of people who don't pay for anything.) as it was, it was an alright film, but not film of the year worthy. I think Inception was much better then any of the films he suggested. But then again, Bob and I never agree on which movies are good.

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
Expendables as the worst of 2010? Really? I mean, I get the dislike, I do, but worst of the year? The Last Airbender pretty much steals that, though I like to give Burlesque honorable mention since the title is a lie.

And you forgot The Rock for the list of good Bay movies. Hell, Roger Ebert, another reviewer who hates Michael Bay movies on principle, wanted that film preserved.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I couldn't agree more with your best and worst movies. But I do feel that Inception should have been mentioned somewhere. Great review as always.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
For the life of me I don't see how people can bash Bay and like Emmerich. Bay makes fun b movies that have a visual flair to them. Emmerich makes dull repetitive films, with worse cgi, and the sad thing is, the movies are played like they're meant to be taken seriously. Bay's action is far superior as well. When's the last time Emmerich actually blew something up for real?

I also don't get people saying "oh I like The Rock but nothing else." Sure if you cite the story or the big name actors as your favorite element, that's fine. However don't try and sit there and say the action was better than his other films because that's downright disingenuous. There are more quick cuts there than any of his other films, and he surpassed the action in that numerous times since. (Especially in regards to car chases.)

Frankfurter4444 said:
The thing about True Grit that had me a little nervous was who wrote it, more specifically, the Coen Brothers didn't write it. Most of their best works, especially The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona, were written, directed, and so on all by them. When they took their hand out of one of the mail elements of the film's making, I was a little apprehensive. Glad to hear you think it is good, I'll give it a look
i don't know what you read, but they wrote the script. It's an adaptation of a book just like NCFOM.

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
Pariahwulfen said:
Hey now, I grew up in the snow belt and I LOVE snow, I envy you bastards right now.
OT:What do you think about "The Rock" since that seems to be the film that got Michael Bay into the Criterion Collection [http://www.criterion.com/].
Love that film, the Rock is Michael Bays masterpiece at least compared to his other films. It has a kick arse soundtrack, a good plot, nicholas cage and sean connery are brilliant not to mention ed harris. Only problem I had was how badly owned the navy seals accompnying sean connery and nicholas cage were, i know they were surrounded and had no cover but they didn't even take a single enemy down in about 20 seconds of uniterupted fire; was anyone else othered by that? Oh and the film has probably the best car chase sequence i've ever seen.