Escape to the Movies: Wrath of the Titans

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Some movies feel like videogames. District 9 is a great example. A protagonist gets infected with a mutation that allows him access to both human and alien weaponry, has to fight a variety of factions in a complicated social situation, and ends with a mech fight.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
OK I have got to see myself some "The Raid". That looks like it's just down my alley.

Probably won't be showing where I live for the next year or so... if at all :/
Must remember to remember.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I'd probably enjoy this over say, God of War, if only because Sam Worthington's character isn't a misogynistic unlikeable douchebag like Kratos and the whole concept of "hyper-violent angsty anti-villains" annoys me. *Sighs* I miss Kain.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Anchorman was a very quotable movie, but I never really considered it a good one.

I didn't go see the new Clash of the Titans, so I'm going to pass on this one (wow, was that really in 2010?)

The Raid...I'd have to see more about it to decide if I wanna see it, what was shown here was not enough to determine if I'd actually want to see it or not.

Detention, never even heard of it, but it has Dane Cook in it, so I'm already a bit on guard. After looking into it though, it might be worth a watch.

And I know Bob said it was bad, I still think I'm gonna see Mirror, Mirror. I still think it looks better than Snow White and the Huntsman. Plus let's face it...Snow White and the Huntsman is a movie about Kristen Stewart apparently being hotter than Charlize Theron. I know it's a fantasy movie, but come on. Even that has limits.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
My wife will probably drag me to the Julia Roberts movie, and I gotta know something. Did you actually see it to come up with your opinion on the movie or are you just going by the previews?

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Wassup with the Escapist spoiling their reviews in the title? I'm not in favor of that! Part of the fun of watching this week's Zero Punctuation or Escape to the Movies is finding out what they thought about this thing that recently came out. There's a certain element of suspense there, why spoil that? I mean, who gains anything from it at all? Does the Escapist community really have that short of an attention span?

Also, maybe this opinion is typical of simpleton, non-movie buffs such as myself, but I thought Julia Roberts as the evil queen in a snow white movie sounded like a pretty good idea. Can't speak for the result, and I'll probably never be able to, but just the idea of it makes a certain kind of sense.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
I'd probably enjoy this over say, God of War, if only because Sam Worthington's character isn't a misogynistic unlikeable douchebag like Kratos and the whole concept of "hyper-violent angsty anti-villains" annoys me. *Sighs* I miss Kain.
a lot of us miss Kain :/. he was a badass, unlike a lot of villains we have these days

OT: The Raid looked better then the movie being reviewed...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Im actually hoping anchorman two sucks a giant one just cause... well, ididnt see what was special or great about the first one, and im pretty much crucified if it comes up (the samne for napoleon dynamite) with how Im some kinda hipster or snob or just dont like good movies or something, and the same people that tell me all are the ones that are going to be creaming themselves about a sequel to an average if not below movie.

but thats just me.

and to be more on topic I didnt see the need for a sequel for this, though I guess worse sequels have been made.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The best performance the first one had was Paris Hilton's diamond incrusted dildo, AKA, Perseus' Sword.

Looking forward to avoid the second movie then, I sure regret watching the first one... or did I?.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I thought the movie kinda sucked... but I really did sit for a moment and try to remember if these characters were in the last one... and then I tried to remember the last one...

I was hard pressed to come up with much.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
I'll admit, I enjoyed Clash as a nice Friday night, pizza and popcorn rental with the whole famn damily. It was entertaining to say the least. I'll probably hold off on watchin Wrath until it hits rental status as well.

As for The Raid trailer, all I can say is, O.O Jesus.

Stickfigure

Oct 31, 2007
I gotta say, I didn't expect these to be the movies you focused on.

I honestly figured it would either be Raid or even Bully. Both seem a bit more in the wheelhouse of gaming audiences.

Apr 24, 2008
Pretty much as I was expecting then...

Funnily enough I was banging my head against the wall earlier trying to remember the name of that kickass sounding Indonesian action film, only for you to hand it to me on a plate. Thanks very much.

Mar 7, 2012
One way you could take the "It feels like a video game" criticism is that video game level action works because it is in a video game. In a movie, it doesn't really work because it is much harder to get invested in actions scenes.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Is anyone else kind of fed up of reviews for mediocre movies with references to better movies that have just come out. I might more inclined to see those movies if I perhaps knew a little bit more about them such as, say, an Escape to the Movies episode about them. Why waste episodes on forgettable rubbish if there are more interesting things to write about?
I think he just reviews based on what's screened for critics, not what movies he goes and sees himself. You make a good point though, if he's going to see them anyway I'd rather hear about good movies than bad ones.

I just checked, neither The Raid or Detention are playing anywhere near me... Just 8 fucking screenings of John Carter.