Escape to the Movies: Zombieland

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Thank you for managing to convince me to see Zombieland without giving anything away. It has excellent pacing and is exactly as it is billed to be. It's taken 2nd place now in my list of favorite zombie movies of all time. Great review, good advice. Many thanks.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Vect said:
arkwright said:
well thats convinced me to go and see it but will it be as good as shaun of the dead?
It's like Shaun of the Dead with Hot Fuzz's level of Action. At least, that's how I can best put it...
It's more up beat then Shawn and more action packed. In short the pacing is WAY better and it's not a downer like Shawn was. Also it has **** ***** in it, and really you can't top that.

Edit: Oh and of course a zombie montage intro set to Metallica's 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'. It's like they made a movie just for me.

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
This movie truly was brilliant. That aforementioned Scene-That-Will-Not-Be-Spoiled was probably what cinched it as the best zombie movie I've seen in years. But really, it had me laughing the whole way through.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
The part Bob didn't want spoiled was the scene in Hollywood when they realize Michael Jackson was also turned into a zombie and starts dancing with a bunch of other well-choreographed zombies. Then Woody Harrelson starts dancing with them while periodically killing off each one of them until its just him and Michael. It was a great scene.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Rigs83 said:
MovieBob said:
Zombieland

This week MovieBob revie..what the..NO NO AIIIGHH!! *uuughkkk*..braaaaiiiinnnnss..

Watch Video
But is it better than Shaun of the Dead?
Yes.

I decided before seeing this movie that I would watch Shaun of the Dead first, and for the first time. I saw it last night, and tonight, I saw Zombieland.

In human nature, we are naturally inclined to like the first form of media that introduces us to the genre in the first place, compared to any sequels, remakes, or any other adaptations on the subject. Usually if you see the sequel to a movie that you've seen, it doesn't always instill that fresh, exciting feeling of delving into something new and different that you got from seeing the first one, so it doesn't seem like an as memorable movie.

That's usually why most people like the original of a series the best, such as Jurassic Park. The fact that I liked this better than the first zombie parody movie I've ever seen might say a lot. But, to each his own I suppose.

Feb 13, 2008
Just seen it. Brilliant. The only thing I will say is that there was room for so many more references than they put in, and some of the product placement was way beyond blatant.

MrTurquoise

Apr 4, 2009
Sheesh, this movie stunk.... It started off really good, and continued to be awesome, up until they met the girls. Then it all went downhill.... WHat a jip...

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
Just to prove my British media fixation that the picture at 1:17 is from 'Sean of the Dead'.

Yeah that's right I went there...

langk

Dec 1, 2009
Your reference to Krillin about to kill the bejesus out of Vegeta just made my life :D

BattlePope

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks Bob! Just started watching your videos, but like all of the superb content on the Escapist it's well writ! I do also love that you used Falling Down for this review. I recently had a friend of mine watch that film and he was engrossed in it and its depth while his roommate complained about it since the thematic elements were utterly lost on her. It was at that moment I felt like the biggest misanthrope in the world for her not grasping Falling Down and any of its superb representation of the John Q. Public that's just fed up with taking what life has dealt him archetype while still having soul enough to have its own nuanced subversion.