Escapist Expo: How to Create an Online Cult, Er, Following

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
How to Create an Online Cult, Er, Following

The internet is a fickle mistress, but when plied with social media and shameless plugs, she can bring great success. The internet celebrities discuss how they?ve expanded the reach of their empire through the use of self-promotion. Or how it all kind of just happened by an enormous stroke of luck.

Participants:
Graham Stark
Paul Saunders
Yahtzee Croshaw
Joshua Ovenshire
John Bain
Greg Tito

Watch Video

opiwankenobi

Oct 10, 2008
As awesome as it is that these panels are made available online, the voice volume is kind of low. Sadly that makes it kind of hart to understand the speakers.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Horrible sound quality, all I'm hearing is echos and mumbling, the first expo's was much better.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
I loved the panel videos from the first Expo, but this year they seem to have messed up every possible aspect. The handheld camera work is shaky, the sound appears to be on-board audio from a camera located on the other side of a room with terrible acoustics, and the live stream of this panel was completely non-existent. If you went through the trouble of having a microphone in front of every presenter, why not use audio pulled directly from the mixing board? I would call it amateurish, but I've actually seen amateurs produce better panel videos than this. Hell, Loading Ready Run has a video of their Anime Evolution panel from 2009 that has better audio quality (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/449/LRR-QA-Anime-Evolution-2009). I know this is only the second Expo, but I was seriously expecting better from a site that specializes in web video.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
I was there, and it is really odd. You'd think that with the big panels being in a theater, that the sound would be better and there'd be less of an echo. But it's a very OLD and small theater, and it didn't work out like they wanted at all. Hopefully next time they'll just live feed all the camera and mic work to a file.

As it stands, yeah the panels in the theater were a step down from last year, and I have a feeling the panels in the actual meeting rooms are much better.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Really poor sound quality. Don't you have audio source, seriously? Pretty amateur stuff.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Unfortunately, due to some technical problems with the audio, we only have the source from one directional mic in the balcony. We decided to upload the panel video, rather than keep the content from you guys, but we're investigating ways to improve the audio quality now.

Greg

Tanneseph

May 2, 2011
While the sound wasn't perfect.... live stuff in a hall like that is tricky business, and at least it was something you could adjust to.

I went in expecting to watch maybe fifteen minutes, and ended up staying for the whole ride. Much better questions and answers than you typically get at this sort of thing, and obviously a very interesting set of guests for the subject matter in question. Many thanks!

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
The sound did suck, however accidents happens, and I really appreciate the content.
I hope you guys get it fixed, I´m looking forward to the remaining panels. Have fun :)

Demandred20

Apr 13, 2013
The LRR guys are really great but what is it with NA people using the term "you know" every ten or so words? I tend to get distracted by people using this term to the point of being unable to concentrate on what they are actually trying to get across. Its not everyone that does this but I have never heard anyone from the rest of the english speaking world do this. I´m not a native english speaker but it sounds like really bad language.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
jackdeesface said:
Greg Tito said:
Unfortunately, due to some technical problems with the audio, we only have the source from one directional mic in the balcony. We decided to upload the panel video, rather than keep the content from you guys, but we're investigating ways to improve the audio quality now.

Greg
And it's appreciated :). Though slightly ironic seeing how much of the panel was people discussing the importance of good sound quality ;)
Yeah, the irony is KILLING ME. Thanks though. I wish the audio was of a better quality but there's very little we can do after the fact.

Greg

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Off topic question (Since I don't want to parrot about the sound) but was Gavin at the Expo this year? Loved the concert last year and am wondering if I should get excited.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The audio volume was really low so I had to turn all my other sound coming from other areas off in order to hear it.

It was ideal to hear while playing Hearthstone so definitely worth it. Can't wait for the next panels.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gone Rampant said:
Off topic question (Since I don't want to parrot about the sound) but was Gavin at the Expo this year? Loved the concert last year and am wondering if I should get excited.
I saw him in all of the Q&A panels. I can't remember if he was in any others.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Greg Tito said:

Greg
Glad to hear it was a technical problem and not an intended choice by the convention support staff. Hopefully the other panels fared better than this one.

Thanks for the clarification.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Lots of echo on here. Hopefully the other panels aren't as disrupted by this. I really like listening to these sorts of things from events and conferences

EDIT: Thanks above commenter. Headphones did help a bit. The white noise doesn't disrupt it as much.

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
While it's true that the sound quality is bad, it might be useful to remember that there was some stuff last year that never got recorded/uploaded, so we might as well be thankful for getting anything.