Escapist heading in "a new direction"

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Stop complaining before you've even seen what a change will be about.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Agema said:
Yeah, it's not like the last few years haven't been filled with positive changes.. right?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Palindromemordnilap said:
Another new direction? We're going on quite a few of those lately, there can't be many left XD
Unless ... unless ... we're actually in space, cuz then we'd literally have infinite directions to go in.

Gotta stay positive.

[small]I mean, yeah, we're technically already in space, but steering the planet is hard.[/small]

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Yeah, a bit too easy to joke about the number of "new directions" this site has taken resembling more of a spinning in place than moving anywhere positive.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Agema said:
Yeah, it's not like the last few years haven't been filled with positive changes.. right?
Context is everything. The last few years have mostly been this site run by a decaying media corp neglecting its assets. Now it's in the hands of people who appear to give a shit and evidently are building it back up again (as we can see with increased content), let's hold out some hope.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I'm with Agema, we should wait and see. Especially as the site isn't that impressive at the mo'

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Agema said:
Oh come on, you know better.

This isn't the first time, this is like, the 4th or 5th time. Sometimes the guy who is bad at running businesses, is also bad at running governments, and 'wait and see' just vindicates the people who already saw the previous red flags.

Really, if Russ Pitts wasnt the one to fix all this, we really cannot expect better. He literally did what we worried he would do, and just dissapear and abandon us. WHICH WASNT THE FIRST TIME THAT HAPPENED! (with other 'people who are going to fix us').

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
Hey everyone,

My name is Nick Calandra and I'm the Managing Editor of Video here on Escapist. I was hired a couple a months ago and was in charge of all the video content that came out of E3. I'm also the Content Director of Gameumentary, an outlet where we produce video game documentaries.

Part of what I've been asked to do from Enthusiast Gaming is to connect more with the community from the content side and for the past two months I've been doing just that over on the Escapist YouTube channel. We've introduced a lot of new content recently including all the E3 interviews featuring Yahtzee and Gameumentary.

Either today or tomorrow we will be publicly announcing that Gameumentary will be merging in full with Escapist Magazine, bringing over our 2 (now 3) Minute Reviews show which was linked above already, and our documentary content.

Right now we're working on a Yahtzee mini-documentary, and wrapping editing on our big Insurgency documentary series, both of which will air later this Summer.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes content wise and we'll be talking more about what our plans are soon. You may have noticed there's already a few new writers on the site posting a bit more news and some great write-ups focused on tv & movies.

We're working on a complete face-lift of the website (including the broken video player) as we know it's not easy to navigate, we're looking at how to safely update the forums software, new video series and so on. As soon as we can tell you more, we will!

We know things have been a bit of a whirlwind since the relaunch so expect more frequent communication from myself and Kyle as we continue forward.

Happy to answer questions if you have any. I may not be able to give specifics, but I'll answer what I can.
Two posts and they're both in this thread. Look, I get that this would be a problem and they got everyone circling the wagons to try to keep it from becoming an issue, but you also don't exist. You're here until you're not. This whole thing "we're merging with this other company to improve the synergy of..." yah, cool. That's not NEW CONTENT. That's eating smaller fish while you got the money, and hope that the capital demon you've tied yourself to doesn't get enough power to drag you to hell. That's business.

You really want our attention? Finance something like Unforgotten Realms. Or Doomsday Arcade. Get another There Will be Brawl. Get a few more comics in here from no name artists. Add some soul to your line up. Acquisitions ride in a boom/bust cycle. Someone comes in, buys out smaller companies to build up the brand again, sits on it with just the tiniest bit of public relations thrown in. And then either sells it off again, or misses their chance and it withers back down to Caramel Frappe wandering a wasteland telling us "It'll be ok."

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nick Calandra said:
Hey everyone,

My name is Nick Calandra and I'm the Managing Editor of Video here on Escapist. I was hired a couple a months ago and was in charge of all the video content that came out of E3. I'm also the Content Director of Gameumentary, an outlet where we produce video game documentaries.

Part of what I've been asked to do from Enthusiast Gaming is to connect more with the community from the content side and for the past two months I've been doing just that over on the Escapist YouTube channel. We've introduced a lot of new content recently including all the E3 interviews featuring Yahtzee and Gameumentary.

Either today or tomorrow we will be publicly announcing that Gameumentary will be merging in full with Escapist Magazine, bringing over our 2 (now 3) Minute Reviews show which was linked above already, and our documentary content.

Right now we're working on a Yahtzee mini-documentary, and wrapping editing on our big Insurgency documentary series, both of which will air later this Summer.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes content wise and we'll be talking more about what our plans are soon. You may have noticed there's already a few new writers on the site posting a bit more news and some great write-ups focused on tv & movies.

We're working on a complete face-lift of the website (including the broken video player) as we know it's not easy to navigate, we're looking at how to safely update the forums software, new video series and so on. As soon as we can tell you more, we will!

We know things have been a bit of a whirlwind since the relaunch so expect more frequent communication from myself and Kyle as we continue forward.

Happy to answer questions if you have any. I may not be able to give specifics, but I'll answer what I can.
At my suggestion, Kyle has begun doing monthly updates to let the community know whats going on. I highly suggest you take part in those. Transparency is important. The complete lack of it is what makes all this jerking us around insufferable.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I often change direction, though I indicate (signal) first. Sometimes.

Eh, it's be what it is. No one is likely to die.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Looking forward to that new forum software you guys are putting up sometime during the next 48 months.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Saelune said:
I think I deserve a warning reset with all these changing owners.

If Zontar can get banned, then unbanned and have his warnings all cleared, surely I do too?

Or do I need to get Drathnoxis to get everyone to change their avatars to bunnies first?
Well you need to get banned for something ridiculous first. But I'll be sad when you get banned :/

Whatever happened to Zontar anyway? I never really noticed but he stopped posting.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

But am I talking about the way the sites run or the forums. Take a guess, winner gets nothing!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I agree with the comments about the forums, I hope the old one stays up and the new one is like it.

Because I hate using Disqus.