Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Marter said:
I hope v1 forums stay available for viewing.
Yeah, like GID and R&P and the WW... oh wait. I don't have much hope left for the new owners caring about preserving anything. Everybody had better archive what they want to keep or it may be deleted without warning at any time.

People can use the Wayback Maching. Just enter the url of the page you want to save and if it hasn't been previously archived you'll get an option to "Save this url in the Wayback Machine." Just make sure you bookmark the page afterwards.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
SolidState said:
How about leaving politics at the door, that'd be an exciting new direction to take.
Good luck, majority of other games journalists seem to want to talk about the political issues surrounding X title for Y reason lacking representation of Z culture.

If there was no political discussion then there would be very little discussion.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Marter said:
Unless they finally get someone that knows a little bit of PHP rather than just how to juggle wordpress plugins, the V1 forums will be virtually empty a year after closure.

Forum indexes, Off-Topic, Gaming Discussion, etc, are set to only show threads that are up to 1 year old. The Publisher's club forum seems to be one of the buggy exceptions.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
IceForce said:
Uh oh. Escapist's parent company is being merged with another company.

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/ajohnagnello/status/1148272392604663808]
And which synonym for 'down the toilet' have they chosen this week?

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I'm getting the feeling that the problem is partially just the escapist. It probably just isn't profitable enough, but it has yahtzee, and his audience, which would explain why it's being tossed from owner to owner and why all kind of changes are being made somewhat haphazardly. No sense taking it out on the new people trying to run things though.

Kyle Gaddo said:
The loss of Anthony is just an unfortunate side effect of doing business.
On the other hand...

Nick Calandra said:
Happy to answer questions if you have any. I may not be able to give specifics, but I'll answer what I can.
Hi Nick. No questions, but good to hear of your plans. I'll give some of the new content a shot when its out.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
bluegate said:
Marter said:
Unless they finally get someone that knows a little bit of PHP rather than just how to juggle wordpress plugins, the V1 forums will be virtually empty a year after closure.

Forum indexes, Off-Topic, Gaming Discussion, etc, are set to only show threads that are up to 1 year old. The Publisher's club forum seems to be one of the buggy exceptions.
I think there'd be more engagement in the forums if the articles posted on the main site actually linked to the forums like they used to.

Then there would be far more discussion surrounding the articles, repeat engagement and clicks on the articles, and the forums would actually have a proper gateway to the main site.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Drathnoxis said:
Saelune said:
I think I deserve a warning reset with all these changing owners.

If Zontar can get banned, then unbanned and have his warnings all cleared, surely I do too?

Or do I need to get Drathnoxis to get everyone to change their avatars to bunnies first?
Well you need to get banned for something ridiculous first. But I'll be sad when you get banned :/

Whatever happened to Zontar anyway? I never really noticed but he stopped posting.
I've wondered the same thing, honestly. However, I didn't want to mention his name for fear of summoning him from whatever dark corner of the abyss he's hiding out in. Mostly because he's goddamn obnoxious most of the time.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Oh joy of joys. It's been, what, a year since the last one?
I mean, I hope it goes well. I hope the V2 forum is good and not a shamply ol mess of tiles like the V2 page is now. And I hope we finally get some order around here.
But man... We're just being passed around like the local college slut aren't we?

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
@Saelune,

I will be taking part in those updates. We're working on quite a few things at the moment and if you look at my updates on the YouTube channel, that same kind of communication will be making its way here. There's a big disconnect between the forums - website - YouTube and I'm hoping to bridge some of that very soon.

Give us a bit more time and we'll have some nice updates to share really soon.
I've been thinking about this all day. Chewing what you said over. And I have a concern I am hoping you'd take the time to address. See, you mention that there is a disconnect between the forums, Youtube and the website. And I understand the reasoning to realign your business so that each section of it follows your brand image. I get that. I'm sure the Escapist logo'll change in a few months to some bold, modern thing (Oh, right. They already put out that block text one with half a border didn't they?), and we'll see the new forums in a stylized color scheme that went through someone's marketing department. Really update the brand identity. And hey, it needs it. Look at this place. It's been this decrepit, ancient behemoth wondering the wastelands of the old ways for what. Fourteen years? Yaaaaaah, fuck it. Out with the old right?

But then I got thinking," ...and replace it with what?" See what got me concerned is everyone keeps saying big changes are coming. You guys come out of the wood work, say a few lines about how you plan to communicate the new vision at us at some nondescript time in the future. I say "at us" and not "to us" because what concerns me is a needling feeling that what is going to happen is that instead of working from the audience that you have already. The people who stuck it out all those years. The people who are reading this right now. That the vision that you're about to roll out might be counter-intuitive to what I'd consider has been the collective culture that has evolved here.

It's at this moment that I'd like you to look over the join dates of the posters here. You're going to find a lot of them are between 2008 and 2011. If my Escapist account was a child, I'd be sending it to the 4th grade this year. Young adults. Children. They don't use forums. I'm actually not sure what they use because I and what you'll find is most everyone else on here is an adult. I bring that up to you specifically because coming from Youtube, I can see how you've already been well acquainted to what happens when business interests dictate that it requires a public commons to provide a "safe" environment for itself. And what that means.

And I worry that in realigning Youtube, the website, and the forums the ToS starts to get way longer and just a little bit draconian. That when you roll out what is coming down the pipes it's going to be catering specifically to this nebulous "all audiences" that somehow cuts around and excludes controversial topics deemed unsavory to advertisers. Sort of just throws a rug over the conversations and discussions that adults would have. Adults that use this forum.

As an aside: Considering "Aquilini GameCo Inc. operates as an e-sports organization..." (a sentence that makes my skin crawl for some reason), I'm taking it that part of the new ideology moving forward is them trying to integrate this as a e-sports/news/social media hub arm of it's business model. What I said before that acquisition isn't new content. That's true. Gameumentary would make it's own... what exactly does it do again? Cause the first link on it's page is this https://gameumentary.com/heres-a-test-post-for-a-feature-story/. (Look at that clown shoes shit there. Oh wait, that's YOUR clown shoes isn't it Nick?). Regardless, they'd have made their own thing regardless of the merger, right? You got your own site. But good old Escapist. Dependable Escapist. Well, it's not really a content producer. You uh, you come from the Youtube channel that hosts two dinosaurs. The only thing Aquilini is "merging" with, is them, a webpage, your stuff, and this forum.

I've been on here a long time. We all have. The old guard. And we've mentioned it before we've seen this song and dance a few times. It'd do a lot if you was able to come on here, and say that the forums will have a place for the adults in this new landscape. Because I get ?Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.? when it comes to the game industry adjacent businesses having to pool together or go under, but just looking at information we have you can see how I'm worried "the community" you mention might not really mean us here so much.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nick Calandra said:
@Saelune,

I will be taking part in those updates. We're working on quite a few things at the moment and if you look at my updates on the YouTube channel, that same kind of communication will be making its way here. There's a big disconnect between the forums - website - YouTube and I'm hoping to bridge some of that very soon.

Give us a bit more time and we'll have some nice updates to share really soon.
Whats this @ business? You know how to quote me. Only time I ever see @ is when people block a user, but still want to respond. Plus @ ing doesn't notify me, only seeing Armdox quote this did I actually even know you responded.

YouTube channel? Why of all places would I go there?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Elvis Starburst said:
But man... We're just being passed around like the local college slut aren't we?
Armadox said:
Didn't you go and make your own forum? With blackjack and hookers?
No, that was Arnoxthe1. Though they prefer to obsess about me rather than blackjack or hookers.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Marter said:
Yeah, like GID and R&P and the WW... oh wait. I don't have much hope left for the new owners caring about preserving anything. Everybody had better archive what they want to keep or it may be deleted without warning at any time.

People can use the Wayback Maching. Just enter the url of the page you want to save and if it hasn't been previously archived you'll get an option to "Save this url in the Wayback Machine." Just make sure you bookmark the page afterwards.
I don't want to try to save 1000+ pages that way. But it may be what I have to do.

bluegate said:
Marter said:

I mean I can still use the review archives to see the reviews because the actual threads are still active.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Say what you will about the Escapist and its rotating set of owners, at least they're tolerant of some pretty harsh criticism from the userbase.

I know what Romans must have felt like in 69 A.D. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_Four_Emperors]

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
There was supposed to be a discord group that was trying to archive the site.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Marik2 said:
There was supposed to be a discord group that was trying to archive the site.
IIRC, their goal was to archive the videos and other editorial content, rather than the forums.