Escapist heading in "a new direction"

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Clinton and Bush were "right wing". Bernie Sanders is left, Alt right are racist, sexist extremists and yea birds of a feather and all, that is all that needs to be said really. It is what it is and there is a reason most people want nothing to do with it and don't want to hear about it all. Life is too short to deal with that nonsense tbh.
I don't think I quite get what you're saying here. Could you reiterate?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Lil devils x said:
Clinton and Bush were "right wing". Bernie Sanders is left, Alt right are racist, sexist extremists and yea birds of a feather and all, that is all that needs to be said really. It is what it is and there is a reason most people want nothing to do with it and don't want to hear about it all. Life is too short to deal with that nonsense tbh.
I was pretty clear. Besides, this thread isn't about you or your site it is about changes the Escapist is undergoing, and what we have to look forward to here so no point derailing about topics most are tired of hearing about anyhow in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Lil devils x said:
I was pretty clear. Besides, this thread isn't about you or your site it is about changes the Escapist is undergoing, and what we have to look forward to here so no point derailing about topics most are tired of hearing about anyhow in a thread that has nothing to do with it.
So why did you bring it up then? You can talk about it but others can't? As I recall, none of us from Sanc were even the ones who brought it up in the first place. You guys did.

Even further, I already contributed something on topic about the forum rules, but that was promptly ignored of course.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Lil devils x said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Lil devils x said:
So why did you bring it up then? You can talk about it but others can't? As I recall, none of us from Sanc were even the ones who brought it up in the first place. You guys did.

Even further, I already contributed something on topic about the forum rules, but that was promptly ignored of course.
I* didn't bring anything up, *you guys* are different people not remotely related. I just addressed the comment that was made, which likely I should have ignored given the positivity of this thread. We have good things to look forward to, no point in wading through negative BS to get to it. I for one am happy they cleaned up the site, it was long overdue before moving forward, hopefully that means we can get more quality content creators on board. I am really hopeful now that they actually started communicating with us that means we have something to look forward to.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Arnoxthe1 said:
Our site is indeed inherently "right-winged" (more right-leaning than actually right) but I honestly hate saying that in a sense, because I wish for everyone to be there and to talk about their viewpoints and ideas no matter what they are. And that is always how it's been. And so, Houseman in that thread is pretty on-point when he laments that others of different viewpoints will probably never come there simply because of the general atmosphere of Sanctuary.
I mean, what do you think was going to happen? Free Speech isn't actually Free. Part of Free Speech is taking on the responsibility of making your Speech worth listening to. Pretending to be Free Speech usually ends up leading to one echo chamber or another.

But then, control speech at least somewhat doesn't do that much better.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
I hope the communication keeps up. Unfortunately another thing this forum has seen a lot of is the new guy(s) coming in, promising more communication, doing so and being approachable and answering questions for maybe a thread or two, then vanishing and leaving the users here in the dark again. These promises are very rarely followed through on and I would encourage our latest overlords to make a very conscious effort to do so as apparently these forums are a very easy thing to forget about when other metaphorical fires need to be put out

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
Unfortunately with the site design you can't find it all unless you go to the latest tab lol, so I'm pushing hard to get this new thing ready so you can find the stuff we write!
Ah yes, I once brought up how it is counter intuitive for a website to have the same articles on its main page for days on end while "hiding" new articles under a second click on the website.

Good times, good times.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
I admit I am hopeful for this latest new direction. Unlike some of the previous ones, which tended to range between "these good intentions are going to backfire" and "are they actively trying to end this site?" this actually sounds promising. Though unlike those previous ones the history of a lack of follow through is no longer a comfort.

One suggestion I have for strengthening the community, though I hesitate to make it for it can be prone to abuse, is more frequent but softer touches from the mods or warning warnings for a lack of a better term. In the past I've generally appreciated the times a mod has stepped in to tell people to cool it or to get back on topic when discussion starts to get heated. This lets us know the moderators are indeed actually watching, can give us a sense of who the mods are, generally keeps discussions less toxic, and can prevent long time user permabans from the kreeping accumulation of actual warnings.

Currently we rarely hear from the mods and warnings are handed out silently. This can be especially frustrating because the kinds of posts that usually get warnings these days don't just come out of the blue, but are the product of an escalating path of discussion that could be defused without official warnings or suspensions by a simple "hey guys, things are starting to get pretty heated. Remember to be respectful or warnings will follow" post from a mod. This can also help old and new users alike(when's the last time we got one of those? ) figure out where the line is for acceptable behavior where the CoC is vague or subjective. As long as this isn't abused by mods to reach beyond the CoC to try to mold the forums to their own biases and opinions and silence those people or topics they dislike, I think this could go a long way to making the community healthier and more welcoming to new users

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
To address your second point: I wouldn't expect any changes to how things are currently run here on the forums for the next little bit. We're basically re-doing everything right now, and to make sure each part of The Escapist gets updated, we're doing it in chunks. The YouTube channel has mostly been cleaned up and we're starting to introduce new content there. Now I'm working on the website facelift and prepping for new content there. Then we'll move over here to the forums and get it all in tip top shape.

Safe to do it that way then do everything in all one big chunk because that's how mistakes happen and I don't think Escapist can afford anymore mistakes right now.

We'll do some feedback loops once we're ready.
Alright then.

trunkage said:
I mean, what do you think was going to happen? Free Speech isn't actually Free. Part of Free Speech is taking on the responsibility of making your Speech worth listening to. Pretending to be Free Speech usually ends up leading to one echo chamber or another.

I think you're overthinking this. If we said, "Say what you want. You won't get punished." but then we start punishing people for that somehow, then yeah, Sanctuary would be pretending to have free speech, but that has never happened, and I've made VERY sure that that doesn't happen.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Nick Calandra said:
To address your second point: I wouldn't expect any changes to how things are currently run here on the forums for the next little bit. We're basically re-doing everything right now, and to make sure each part of The Escapist gets updated, we're doing it in chunks. The YouTube channel has mostly been cleaned up and we're starting to introduce new content there. Now I'm working on the website facelift and prepping for new content there. Then we'll move over here to the forums and get it all in tip top shape.

Safe to do it that way then do everything in all one big chunk because that's how mistakes happen and I don't think Escapist can afford anymore mistakes right now.

Alright then.

trunkage said:

I think you're overthinking this. If we said, "Say what you want. You won't get punished." but then we start punishing people for that somehow, then yeah, Sanctuary would be pretending to have free speech, but that has never happened, and I've made VERY sure that that doesn't happen.
Either you can say literally anything you want, or you don't have free speech. That is what people who defend Nazis tell me anyways.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nick Calandra said:
Saelune said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Nick Calandra said:

Alright then.

trunkage said:

Either you can say literally anything you want, or you don't have free speech. That is what people who defend Nazis tell me anyways.
To do the mod thing:

Let's keep this thread on topic please. The feedback we're getting is helping and this stuff is way off topic :)
Maybe let the other users know.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
So I saw that the show The Game Overthinker has been canceled and The Big Picture has instead become a biweekly show. Any comments?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
Saelune said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Nick Calandra said:

Alright then.

trunkage said:

To do the mod thing:

Let's keep this thread on topic please. The feedback we're getting is helping and this stuff is way off topic :)
Thank you for being polite. <3 I'll shut up now.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
bluegate said:
Nick Calandra said:
Unfortunately with the site design you can't find it all unless you go to the latest tab lol, so I'm pushing hard to get this new thing ready so you can find the stuff we write!
Ah yes, I once brought up how it is counter intuitive for a website to have the same articles on its main page for days on end while "hiding" new articles under a second click on the website.

Good times, good times.
Yea...I've built quite a few Wordpress sites and when I got here and looked at the backend of this site I think I went back in time to a much darker place in history. We have to manually update the top of the front page to get new articles up there, and I can't reorganize any of the front page.

I think I've got OCD when it comes to website design and this one is causing me to lose sleep haha. New site design is much more modern and you can find everything easily.
I'm not sure if you're talking about the current V2 or the old V1, I didn't expect much else in case of the latter, but I'm morbidly shocked in case of the former, as it was set up within the last two years or so.