Escapist Podcast: 046: 38 Studios Debacle and Gay Superheroes

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
KefkaCultist said:
I love these podcasts! XD I seriously just wanna hang out and talk with you guys some time because it would be so much fun lol.
We want to hang out with you, too! If there was only some sort of amazing event [http://www.escapistexpo.com/] that would bring our community together at the same time and place... :-D
And if only I had the roughly $600 needed to go to North Carolina and stay for a weekend XD
Being a broke college student in the midwest sucks.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
KefkaCultist said:
Mike Kayatta said:
KefkaCultist said:
I love these podcasts! XD I seriously just wanna hang out and talk with you guys some time because it would be so much fun lol.
We want to hang out with you, too! If there was only some sort of amazing event [http://www.escapistexpo.com/] that would bring our community together at the same time and place... :-D
And if only I had the roughly $600 needed to go to North Carolina and stay for a weekend XD
Being a broke college student in the midwest sucks.
Ah, bummer. We'll miss ya!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
I looooved Gosford Park!
I absolute love you guys for reacting to the whole "gay" thing the way you did. I feel exactly the same way, that sexual orientation should be just another aspect of a person, and that it shouldn't be "a thing". Hopefully, in a generation or two, that awful "you're so gay" insult will die out.
Granted, I'm not big on comics, but my money's on Green Lantern.
As for swear words... Ugh, this is so delicate. I myself, have been trying to cut back, especially now that our son is here, but I just know it's a lost cause, because he's going to be learning those words on the playground or on TV. Hopefully, we'll be able to manage it, and more importantly, teach him the wisdom to know when it's appropriate, and when it's not.
I would sooooo love to go to the Escapist Expo... Unfortunately, with not one, but two long haul flights in the way, a weekend stay in North Carolina is not in the works. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully this year's edition will be a smashing success, and there'll be another opportunity next year.
Hum, a hated game character... Well, I hated Irenicus in BG2, but that's because he was the mean villain who had killed my friends, stolen my soul and abused my sibling. I loved hating him, he was such a great bad guy. As for characters I despised... I agree regarding Ulfric, he was just a power-hungry, hypocritical jerk. I wasn't a big fan of Jack in Mass Effect 2, I just hated her attitude.
Love the podcast, you guys keep bringing the awesome! :)

Aity

Jan 26, 2012
Very funny podcast. This is the first time I've heard Mike with the crew and I thought he was a perfect fit with the rest of you. I hope he gets invited back often. Ya'll had me in stitches a few times, keep up the great work.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i did not know that about rachael ray but i am not shocked. i always thought she was just kinda stupid
the majority of people on tv are assholes anyway

about the gay super hero thing i agree
i don't see the big deal about the gay super hero thing as long as it is plausible. if they don't make a publicity stunt of it there is no issue.

but then again have pulling of a stunt like making super man or batman gay would cause a shit storm.
said shit storm would be both amazing and hilarious

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Who do I hate? Gordan Freeman! All these people depending on things, and all he does is go around hitting things with a crowbar... what a douche!

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
That is exactly how you spell "yoink." :) And I oversimplified what I was trying to say...so you didn't misunderstand as much as I explained myself badly. Getting financial backing from people who don't understand the industry and whose motivations may be at odds with what your company needs to succeed is unwise, was what I was trying to say. They defaulted on the loan, no question - would a lender with no political motivations be more flexible? Maybe...and maybe not. That's what I was trying to get at.
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I think this is a fair statement. While this mess was largely Schilling's fault, Chafee opposed the deal before he was elected and it arguably helps him politically to let it fail. This isn't to say he's done anything to make it worse, but he didn't have a strong reason to go above and beyond to help the company.

An experienced investor may not have been more flexible, but they would have gone into this with a much better idea of how to avoid these problems. Chances are they'd have a better idea of how much money was actually needed to develop an MMO, they would have insisted on having more direct access to financial information and decisions, and if things started to fail they'd have more luck selling the assets. Two weeks ago the company had assets, in particular the staff. Now they have a setting and a half-finished MMO, and I doubt anyone out there wants to pick up a half-finished game and put entirely new people on it.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
I was thinking, if the gay superhero is a publicity stunt, then Green Lantern would be a good bet. BUT, to make it a super-duper publicity stunt, they could choose the John Stewart Green Lantern. Then they'd a get a twofer, "Hey, look, we have a GAY superhero! And he's BLACK too! Go us, we're celebrating diversity times two!" I doubt this is the case thought. Whether or not they're trying to play catch-up with the times, it's just a good decision. Also, as far a DC continuity, I haven't read any of the current new 52, so whether or not John Stewart even exists right now, I do not know.

As for hated characters, the first one I thought of was Albert Wesker. Not because his evil plan is the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas, but because his boss fight in RE5. He's a cheating COCKSUCKER. Look at me, I know where you're aiming and can dodge bullets, unless I get mildly confused as to where you are if you're out of my sight for 1 second.

Also, one more thing everyone touched upon, as far as late night TV hosts go, Craig Ferguson is by far, the best of them all. He is genuinely funny, and doesn't overdo anything. You can tell the show is half-assed and yet he makes it damn funny every time.

Horton986

Lord Canada
Mar 16, 2009
best part is when i found out i was not the only one that hates Gandhi in the civ 5 though he liked to back stab alot in civ 4 too. So thank you Greg, I understand your pain and hatred for him

chocolatekake

Dec 22, 2010
GamerLuck said:
Hey can you guys bring back putting the song credits in the description? I miss knowing what you guys are playing when its not Miracle of Sound (Love those songs but they are easy to find)
I agree! It's been missing for the last couple months it seems and it's not easy to figure out what the music is.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Thanks to Rule 34 you're bound to to run into the homosexual version of anything. And I'm okay with that as long as it isn't intended as an insult or misrepresents someone who is a real person. But as far as who should be homosexual in the DC Universe I have to go with....

SHAZAM!.... er.... Captain Marvel.

1. He's too young to have sex.
2. Others might find it cute if he kisses a boy & the boy kisses back.
3. Its a character that could relate to finding out their sexual orientation at that age.
4. It makes "One Million Moms" look like bullies for picking on a kid.

-

As for most hated character.... I guess whoever won't allow my Female Khajiit to marry a Female Khajiit on my PS3 version. I can't afford to turn another Female into a Female Khajiit like those who were able to play it on the PC.

And as for Ulfric's racism.... I guess it never stood out for me. If he is so racist though why are the homeless in Windhelm both Nords? Wouldn't it make more sense that his racism would cause either the Argonians or the Dunmer to be homeless instead? Even then no Argonian or Dunmer were considered The Butcher during Blood On Thin Ice.

But then again I'm either playing as a Khajiit or Argonian. And I find the Imperials just as racist since even in the cities they control you won't find Khajiits.

A lot of racism surrounding the elves though stems from The Thalmor being racist toward humans. The whole Civil War started because The Thalmor barred Talos worship. An act that spits in The Eights faces when you realize they made Talos the 9th. And serves as a reminder that The Freedom Of Religion Requires The Freedom From Religion.

Also I forgot whether or not the Dunmer still practiced slavery in Morrowind. If they still do they deserve less than what they got in Skyrim. (Provided any of them owned Slaves.)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
As far as hated characters go, I have to mention Kai Leng from Mass Effect 3.

In part because he's just a frustrating character, but mostly because of his annoying-as-fuck plot armor.

And while it has been ages since I played Starcraft, I have to agree on Arcturus Mengsk too.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
JediMB said:

In part because he's just a frustrating character, but mostly because of his annoying-as-fuck plot armor.

And while it has been ages since I played Starcraft, I have to agree on Arcturus Mengsk too.
I wish I had remembered this during the podcast. Kai Leng would probably be second to Ulfric for me. Narratively, he came out of nowhere, looked like the star of some weird 1950s Asian BDSM VHS tape, and was just generally obnoxious from the first moment you meet him.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
JediMB said:

I wish I had remembered this during the podcast. Kai Leng would probably be second to Ulfric for me. Narratively, he came out of nowhere, looked like the star of some weird 1950s Asian BDSM VHS tape, and was just generally obnoxious from the first moment you meet him.
BioWare seemed really proud of his looks, though, since they provided Kai Leng-esque alternate outfits for all of your human squad members.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
The Escapist Staff said:
046: 38 Studios Debacle and Gay Superheroes

This week we talk about what's rotten in the state of Rhode Island, DC's reboot of a hero as gay and what videogame character we despise.

Watch Video
On DC's upcoming "outing," here's my list of hopes:

1. Avoid the characters that are "low-hanging fruit" for gay jokes, or even the most obvious choice. You all mentioned this one.

2. Find a way to reveal the character's sexual orientation without cramming him into a relationship immediately. Too often in fiction, a character who is made homosexual is also (probably unintentionally) shown throwing himself at every male, or the first other gay character to come around. It's like the unspoken rule on teen shows that if there are two black characters, they will be a couple.

3. If he wasn't an activist before, don't make him one now. Think Ellen Degeneres rather than Rosie O'Donnell. Making him too political is just as manipulative as making him too sexual would be.