Escapist Podcast: 053: Ouya Kickstarter and Michael Fassbender

thewanderer41

Jun 20, 2012
AstylahAthrys said:
Heh, after I typed in "penis" it asked me for a Captcha. I swear, I'm not spamming enlargement pills, system.
System here, I'll believe it when I see it.
...uh, the spam that is, not the uh... other thing...yeah >.>

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
That comic Steve was talking about sounds really good, but I typed in Squadron Supreme on Google and what I came up with didn't sound anything like what he was describing. Where can I find it?

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
That game with the game breaking bug Susan mentioned was Drakan: Order of the Flame, you played as Rynn who wanted to save her brother. Never ran into any bugs myself at the time, but you're not missing out on much, Susan, the ending was utterly anticlimatic, a major letdown! (and a bit of a "wtf" moment) Flying around on your dragon was loads of fun, though, I loved that.

newdarkcloud said:
Cheers to you for mentioning Drakan: The Ancient's Gates. It's one of earliest PS2 games. Slightly flawed, but overall good. I understand what you mean when you say you don't want to go back and finish it. It took me a few years to get around to doing that. Still, it's a decent game.
Pretty sure it was its predecessor, Drakan: Order of the Flame [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakan:_Order_of_the_Flame], but I could be wrong. Susan will need to confirm, I guess.

On the whole, "we should be grateful they're even making superhero movies", I agree, but that doesn't deter that we should also keep pushing for more sophisticated plots. Sure, it's awesome that we have movies like the Avengers now, but if we don't keep pushing our limits, and asking for more, we'll never evolve beyond what we have now. So I think the points Susan and Mike made aren't mutually exclusive.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
The whole Ouya thing intrigues me as there are two radically different sides to it.

The positive side says it's the new wave of innovation. A console that will let you make what you want and do what you want without all the hoops and rules that a major company will make you jump through. A place for innovation and new ideas VS the stagnation of modern consoles.

The negative side says this will never succeed. That it will cost too much in licensing and parts and construction. Look at all the failed consoles of the past, and many of those had multi-million dollar companies behind them. And even if it does succeed it wont get any game companies behind it. Android is too buggy, the games would be too easily pirated. And we can already do this same thing on computers.

I honestly don't think it will be either of those two extremes. I think it will be the Linux of consoles. A console for game/tech enthusiasts but not widely accepted by the general populace or companies.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eleima said:
That game with the game breaking bug Susan mentioned was Drakan: Order of the Flame, you played as Rynn who wanted to save her brother. Never ran into any bugs myself at the time, but you're not missing out on much, Susan, the ending was utterly anticlimatic, a major letdown! (and a bit of a "wtf" moment) Flying around on your dragon was loads of fun, though, I loved that.

newdarkcloud said:
Cheers to you for mentioning Drakan: The Ancient's Gates. It's one of earliest PS2 games. Slightly flawed, but overall good. I understand what you mean when you say you don't want to go back and finish it. It took me a few years to get around to doing that. Still, it's a decent game.
Pretty sure it was its predecessor, Drakan: Order of the Flame [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakan:_Order_of_the_Flame], but I could be wrong. Susan will need to confirm, I guess.

On the whole, "we should be grateful they're even making superhero movies", I agree, but that doesn't deter that we should also keep pushing for more sophisticated plots. Sure, it's awesome that we have movies like the Avengers now, but if we don't keep pushing our limits, and asking for more, we'll never evolve beyond what we have now. So I think the points Susan and Mike made aren't mutually exclusive.
It's Drakan: The Ancients Gates, I assure you. I still have it.

PiercedMonk

Feb 26, 2010
Jedisolo75 said:
That comic Steve was talking about sounds really good, but I typed in Squadron Supreme on Google and what I came up with didn't sound anything like what he was describing. Where can I find it?
What you want is the Mark Gruenwald SQUADRON SUPREME [http://www.amazon.ca/Squadron-Supreme-Mark-Gruenwald/dp/078510576X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342362894&sr=8-2]. It's really good stuff, though Steve did get one minor aspect of it wrong; he said the reason they didn't use the real Justice League is because they didn't want to take a risk, but the most obvious reason is that Marvel is the one that published the book, not DC, and Marvel was willing to play a bit more fast and loose with characters that were obvious knock-offs of the Justice League in stories that weren't even in the same continuity as their regular books.

Fun fact: after he passed away, Gruenwald's ashes were mixed into the ink on the first printing of the collected edition.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Wait wait wait.

You managed to discuss Viggo Mortensen and Michael Fassbender in the same podcast and neglected to mention the movie in which they starred together?!
I am disappoint.

A Dangerous Method [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1571222/]. Sure, it's "one of those Cronenberg films that noone saw". Except for me, obviously. But I think it's a brilliant movie, the two guys, as, wait for it, Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung, flamig each other in letters.
Then again, I'm a shrink and a fan of those two guys and so it's doubly relevant to my interests...

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
MANIFESTER said:
Out of curiosity, is there a particular Superhero, story line, or villain that you or the rest of the escapist staff would like to see make it to the big screen?
Matter-Eater Lad?

Also, the Avengers civil war stuff seems really interesting, problems with translating that screen at present withstanding.
You know what we could make Matter-Eater Lad to be the Superhero film to win that Best Picture Oscar. We make the movie about him getting over an eating disability. Set it in World War 2 . And give him a daughter to have a heartwarming relationship with. It will be a heartwarming inspirational historical Drama. If only Chris Farley was alive to portray him.

Completely agree on the Civil War stuff though. Marvel would probably need to get back the other licenses though, huh.

I would also want a Deadpool Movie, just because the comedy and the tone of Deadpool would just go so far away from the huge epics of some other Superhero movies.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
One thing i hope Marvel starts doing is using movies about more popular heroes, like a Captain America 2 or The Hulk 4 and using them to introduce other characters.

For example:

Captain America goes to defeat a terriorist cell in Dakota and runs into Static Shock, who has made limited headway into defeating the threat on his own. when the two of them team up and compare notes, their combined force is enough to defeat the force neither could have taken on there own.

or a new X-Men movie where the US government starts actively hunting the X-Men for some stuff they were framed for. the hunt gets so intense they have to flee the grasp of the US... which leads them to Wakanda, where the Black Panther, Storm's husband, takes them in and provides a safe base of operations for the team to clear there name.

Doing this would allow Marvel to see how popular certain characters are without the risk of loosing millions on a feature.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
It's Drakan: The Ancients Gates, I assure you. I still have it.
I stand corrected!! I guess the "flying around on a dragon named Arokh" principle applies to both installments anyhow. ^_^

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Son of Songhai said:
Captain America goes to defeat a terriorist cell in Dakota and runs into Static Shock...
Static Shock belongs to DC, or at least Warner Bros.
[hr]
I had a Nuon DVD player, it was our first DVD player. Didn't have the controller for it. Just as well, it had a grand total of 8 games with such blockbusters as... slight variants of Space Invaders and Tempest.
[hr]
I can't speak for the Avengers movie, but Bruce Banner does not have control when he's the Hulk, even when he changes on perpose. It's just that the persona of the Hulk is basically a good guy that want's to be left alone (possibly autistic). He'll help fight monsters, but when there isn't a clear enemy, he doesn't know how to deal with fellow heroes.

I'd be interested in seeing Grey Hulk aka. Mr. Fixit in movie form.

Chknboy

Sep 10, 2008
I'm with Susan on the whole OUYA thing here....who's going to buy this besides people who are absolutely in love with tinkering, hacking, freeware and open source stuff? That's a really small population in relation to other audiences.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I have another Christoph Waltz movie to recommend: Carnage [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/].

And I'd also like to mention another use of the Game Genie: actually being able to beat a game that's Nintendo-Hard. God mode is boring, but I can tell you that even with the code for 9 lives, I still found "Zelda 2" to be a hard game as a kid. Last year I replayed the game without the help of cheat codes, and the final palace took me about 3-4 hours to beat, cause I kept having to start over.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Loethlin said:
Wait wait wait.

You managed to discuss Viggo Mortensen and Michael Fassbender in the same podcast and neglected to mention the movie in which they starred together?!
I am disappoint.

A Dangerous Method [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1571222/]. Sure, it's "one of those Cronenberg films that noone saw". Except for me, obviously. But I think it's a brilliant movie, the two guys, as, wait for it, Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung, flamig each other in letters.
Then again, I'm a shrink and a fan of those two guys and so it's doubly relevant to my interests...
They did though, however they hated the movie so you may have blocked that part out subconsciously or something.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Hmm, rather than superfluous major bad guy action scene climax, I somewhat get annoyed at superfluous romance subplots. Similar vein. Not much more to say on that.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Thrashgrinder said:
I was very suprised to hear Susan telling not to ask more from superhero movies. I mean I get it. We are seeing the greatest Comic Book movies ever made right now, but still. Are we wrong to ask for more sophisticated movies?
We should always ask for more, from everything, because nothing is ever perfect and the only way that things get better is if we are willing to say what works and what doesn't.

However, this is more about balance. Yes, constructive criticism is always a good thing. Having ambition that something that's already good could become even better is always a good thing. What we have to avoid though is over doing it; because, if we labour too much over our nitpicks without giving credit where it's due at the same time, we may well end up cheating ourselves out of a good thing when we cement a reputation as being too hard to please, at which point the movie-makers stop trying to please us at all.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
On the subject of games killing computers... I decided to give the original Mass Effect a try (back before any of the sequels were out), played it for a few hours before giving up. Next time I tried, I got about half an hour in before the Xbox gave a sort of fizzing noise and the whole red ring deal showed up. It's as if the game was like "fuck you buddy, you abandoned me once, you don't get a second chance".