Escapist Podcast: 090: Nintendo Bails on E3 and Dragon's Crown's Breasts

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
longboardfan said:
Watch your tone friend. Constructive criticism is welcomed but your being combative and angry.
I really think that its time for people like the ones in the podcast to take their blinders off and take a good look around them. Laura Croft didn't have huge tits, Soul Hackers didn't have huge tits, Bioshock Infinite didn't have huge tits. I'm tired of hearing these tired tropes trotted out as fact when they ignore all the OTHER games released in the last four weeks, and instead focus on one game that has a really interesting style of artwork (and one set of huge breasts).

Please let them know that they would have more value as both entertainers and journalists if they'd stop blaming the audience and men in general for the occasional game with large breasts. It would be nice to be treated like a human being without being blamed for some nebulous thing like sexism in gaming, especially when its not supported by facts (like just looking at the artwork from games released). They'll find their 'variety' easily enough.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Lara Croft didn't have huge tits? Need I remind you that until the latest iteration was released, Tomb Raider was this:

Egad, some people have a short memory... They didn't even bother putting her FACE on the box, seriously...

The Escapist Staff said:
Video game journalists are obsessed with food
No really? Like we hadn't noticed so far? ;) I was just laughing out loud when I heard this.

Thanks a bunch for the podcast this week, namely the discussion on the whole Dragon's Crown debacle. It's really the kind of thing that makes me sigh, there's a lot of stupidity all around. It's nice to know that the artist and Kotaku's journalist were able to come to terms and have a constructive discussion, though.

You guys said that the girly/big eyes/small mouth/etc was an acceptable stereotype in Japan, but it made me wonder. Is there no reaction to this representation of women in Japan? Does everyone really find it "totally normal" to have no "real" women in the medium? Granted, I'm all seeing it with my very Western eyes, but you have to wonder what the reaction out in the East is like...

On the uneducated consumer's decision... Well, I've always been a huge fan of games, but for a very long time, my dad was the one who made the purchases (being the one with the cash to do so). Even when I was a teen, I never spent my allowance on games, because well, I was brought up to save and video gaming wasn't encouraged (at all). I only started reading up on games around 2006 when I was in college and starting browsing articles on the Escapist. That's when I started really knowing what games came out, what they were about. Before that, I went by general description and... the box art. And that was especially true when I was a kid. I particularly remember my sister and I talking my dad in buying Drakan: Order of the Flames because well "look, that girl looks ready to kick ass, and she's FLYING ON A FREAKIN' **DRAGON**, that's just SO COOL!!!" That's not the say that your average consumer reacts like a 14 or 15 year old, but well... Sometimes you just use the information you have which is the blurb and the art. That's it.
I'd love to see an experiment along the lines of what Susan said, though. Same game, same features, same extra goodies, different box art. Controlling the confusion factors in that kind of study would be a huge pain, though, but I definitely would be interesting. In any case, I don't recall FemShep's presence on ME3's box art hurting the game's sales...

Finally, where do we sign up to be part of the focus groups? Because if there's truly a lack of female players, then I volunteer. For science!

Thanks for the podcast, I look forward to it every week. :)

Leesha Allen

Apr 29, 2013
I think the Sorceress' design is hot as well, and there is nothing wrong with that. Game art is not all dictated by evil corporations, sometimes they draw what they find sexy. If a person does make something that they like in this world it is natural that someone will not like it for whatever reason, however, the price for getting in someone else's preferential business is a force of evil that could stifle the creativity of the artist. Let Dragon's Crown be what they want it to, and instead of hating, create your own game with whatever you find sexy.

I swear there is an alternate timeline where the forces of evil win more often and the sorceress pic never found its way to my eyeballs, that version of me saw one less beutiful thing that humans dreamed up. Heck, most of the hot stuff now is in anime style games because they are one of the last places the evil hasn't reached.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
You are not alone Susan, I love the Duke as well, it was the most comfortable controller for my hands.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
hickwarrior said:
Well, first off, I felt very annoyed how frank and upbeat you guys were
Um...why? Most people consider being honest and positive to be good qualities.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
oh dear god i feel really terrible because after you talked about adblock again i checked and you guys were not whitelisted when i thought you were and now i feel terrible. i shall walk the streets till i find a puppy to rescue to atone for my sins.

oh and cool game titles:
shadow man, the only game i ever bought because of the title and cover and my god was that a great game.
vanquish, the title just evokes something incredibly gamey, like an arcade machine should have written that on it and the game does deliver on that.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
hickwarrior said:
hickwarrior said:
but which was helped by fire emblem: awakening. Playing that on hard/classic is a nightmare when under pressure, even though you can take your time in planning out every movement and attack you make. I guess I won't do that next time.
Like I said, it had way more to do with my frustration playing that game than you guys being happy. To put it differently, I was frustrated with how hard it was to keep certain characters alive in that game, but still strong enough to keep up with the entire army.

It's not a knock on you guys, keep doing what you're doing. It's great that you are so enthusiastic about videogames.

I hope that clears it up.

PS: I tend to be very OCD about keeping EVERYONE alive in Fire Emblem. Because of that relation system that fleshes the characters out. As well as keeping all my options open for all the different weapons, needed to combat specific enemies.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Once again
I feel that the Sorceress was designed as a witch
And if she would be implemented as a classical witch her design would make sense
Something along lines of Lamia from movie Stardust (but with sexuality multiplied by 10)
That movie perfectly captured what witches will do to keep their power and beauty
And when you do so much to keep yourself hot it somewhat makes sense to have very revealing outfit

Regarding changed roles in the games
I remember that in all Deus Ex games I always went with the Illuminati
Their plans made sense dammit
Sometimes conspiracy may have good intentions and goal of it may be majorly beneficial to mankind
(something people tend to forget)

P.S. Deus Ex is badass title too. And it taps into whole Deus Ex Machina pun. And this pun perfectly explains main plots.
LOVE that title :D

Ragnarok2kx

Nov 18, 2009
Ok, so the "Three Dwarves" picture was presented by its author as the punchline of a joke, but I feel like I'm the only person around that considers it beautiful in its own. I mean, I'm not even sexually attracted to its subject matter (that being burly males), but I still consider it to be very well done.

Hell, now that I think about it I could say the very same about the sorceress design.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
hickwarrior said:
Well I'm not most people!

*falcon punches a unicorn*

I'm kidding of course I'd never falcon punch a unicorn.

But on topic of big boobied ladies in games and so on.

I've never felt more weird and out of place than when I read these discussions. It never once jumped out at me as a kid and very rarely does now. Similarly in Soul Calibur I used to play Voldo a >lot<. It wasn't until like the fourth game that a friend said "How can you play him? He's dressed like a freak." and I realized that yeah I guess he is kinda in a thong with a ball gag isn't he...

I do think that everyone should be able to find entertainment that they relate to, but I don't think that all the entertainment that doesn't apply to them is the problem. Japanese Mega Boobs are not stopping any company from making a game with a realistic female protagonist.

It's pretty easy to do it, even if you are lazy. For instance seeing as most men in games are as empty as Bella from Twilight, just make a game with a male protagonist and at the end change the model to be a lady. Congratulations.

The amount of male characters with any kind of substance to them is remarkably thin, I think most game teams just have poor character development teams working behind them.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
"Quantum Conundrum", obviously. It's about as close as you can get to having an actual poem in the title. But I also quite like Yahtzee's interpretation of "Just Cause 2". And I have to say, I agree with Greg on "Half-Life". It always looked like that title was supposed to be a double entendre for something, but how "being half alive" or "having half a life" factors into the actual game remains a mystery.

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
RE: Which Console

As a child I started out very devout to Nintendo, when i moved to college I purchased an X-box 360, now that i am living on my own, while I may still be playing games on my 360, but I find myself playing more games on my Computer. Between the mods that I can download, the lower price, Steam, and not needing to purchase a Gold Membership in order to play on line; the computer is the best to own in my opinion.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably get a PS3, but when the games I'm looking forward to are all coming out on the PC, why bother?

For me its going to come down to the exclusives, why buy a game system that can double as a computer when my computer is right there? Until i get enough reasons to buy a console, I'm just going to spend that money upgrading my computer.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
When it comes to titles, I'm quite taken with "Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole" because I'm juvenile.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
They can most certainly fix the D-Pad on the Xbox controller! Love the controller, but for anyone who plays fighting games, it's not usuallly the top choice for playing those on.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'm sorry but I feel somewhat thrown by the following post causing someone to be banned.

longboardfan said:
The Escapist Staff:
090: Nintendo Bails on E3 and Dragon's Crown's Breasts

This week, the Escapist crew discusses the fast approaching Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3) and Nintendo's recent decision to cancel its big press event. We also discuss some of the recent controversy around Dragon's Crown and the lack of diverse female characters in videogames.

Watch Video

Snore....

How can you talk for over an hour and say nothing? Omg popularity contests! Can't win races you aren't in. WiiU is failure (but its profitable...), but we won't talk about past Sony and MS failures, and the controversy over the backwards compatibility (lack of), the online only, possible used game lock down, etc. Nintendo games are fun! But I won't buy them because they're 'take it or leave it.' Umm, do you game? JOURNALISM! Oh, I'm sorry, I definitely pay attention to the NYT for gaming news /not. Blah blah blah Japanese games are weird, why can't they have modern feminist ideals like 'Merican games!? boooooooobies! wat? who cares about the artwork, what's the gameplay like? did you have fun? or did you just spend your entire weekend complaining about how big one of the chick's boobs are? Is it possible for one moment for you to stop trying to make everything into a victim.

I loved the back and forth on sexy. You want a wider range of sexy, but when you boil it down, you just want sexy men, but not quite so overtly sexy women, and to hell with stylization. It doesn't matter if the artwork fits the rest, you just want moderately 'sexy' women (as defined on a case by case basis by a select group of women). Fine, just as soon as I get to ban the entire PNR and Romance genres and all the bare shirted men in media too.

A wider range. The heck does that even mean? You put small breasted women on covers and suddenly cries of 'pedo' gets shouted. Older women, and you get the whole 'why are all women old wrinkled and evil' - old hag trope thrown in your face. Bland and generic, and suddenly cries of why do all the women look the same.

Too all you easily offended women and apologizing white knight throw-rug men, please butt out of the artistic range conversation if you don't participate.

@entire Escapist Staff in this podcast: If you truly want a "wider range of sexy" then you clearly aren't looking hard enough. Take off the AAA blinders and go looking around.

Yeah, he's being a dick, he could come across a nicer way. Still, I see a lot, a LOT of valid critiques in there. They're presented in a somewhat adolescent and hurtful way and I dunno if this was like the final warning or something which caused the permanent ban but it just....sits wrong with me. It feels like a ban just due to you disliking the way he made his correct points or because you feel you're shown to be wrong.

I was of the thought that you're better than to ban someone just cause they gave you the excuse to do so with the way they express their valid points rather than just tackle whatever actual validity therein. It just sits wrong with me for for this to end up in a ban. It feels like taking the easy way out.

I guess I'd have been happier if you first responded and then banned the guy. Hmm...would perhaps putting the same points in polite and constructive terms generate a reply? If so, I can do that!