Escapist Podcast: 51: Stomping Robots, Roasts and Game Genres

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Every time the topic of games that create new genres comes up I say Minecraft. It follows the ieda of one game does something new then another popularises it. Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer and Dwarf Fortress. Now Minecraft clones are a dime a dozen. It's going to take a few more years for anything significant to come out of this but things are looking like this could become something of a genre. Yogventures is a good example of what can come out of this. Although I can see it being very hard to make anything else with these mechanics for a while just due to the fact that Minecraft fans are like rabid honey badgers that'll will threaten to burn your house down if you do something even remotely similar to Minecraft.

The journey man

Webcomic Aficionado
Jun 18, 2011
Great show guys. I especially loved this episode a lot!

As far as things that are too hyped for me to get into: The Walking Dead, Hunger Games and Game of Thrones *Cue sharp intakes of air and angry mobs readying to run me out of town*

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Loud neighbors.
I lived in an apartment below a nice family. The father was a military recruiter who I spoke with often (tried to recruit me once, back when I was a pacifist). The wife I never met, though I think she was Italian. And they had a daughter who was I guess three or four. Nice family.

Loud as hell.

They apparently had a treadmill set up in the room above my bedroom. I'd often wake up to *thump, thump, thump, thump* and the music of 3 Doors Down (AAAAARRRRGH). The little daughter loved to run around, or loved to try to run around. More thumping...

My response to being woken up early in the morning like that? Throw tennis balls at the ceiling really hard!

But they weren't as obnoxious as the Harley-driving asshole who cranked up his bike often between 2-3AM and just set there revving the engine for ten minutes. It was soooo freaking loud. I threw a tennis ball at him. And then I hid...

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
The closest to "GTA in space" I can think of would be Freelancer. And I'd LOVE a new Freelancer.

I can very much sympathise with the loud neighbours problem. I had a similar issue with my neighbours stomping around at all hours. Except they were 2 floors down >.<. It still sounded like a heard of elephants.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Jaded_Muffin said:
Ask and you shall receive.

Mini muffins and corn will follow shortly.
Ha! That is fantastic! Looks just like Steve. :)

Greg

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Wait, wait, wait. Did someone just mention 'Father Ted'? I always surprised that the English found it as funny as they did but Americans watch and enjoy that show? Mind = blown.

Don't get me wrong I think that's great but its humour is just based on such a specific cultural landscape that I'm shocked that it travels.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
On anime note
Persona4 anime is really good :D
But I never played P4, so I have no idea how close anime follows game

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Great episode as always, noisy neighbours? I always prefer to ignore it, but noises never really annoy me, I just turn what I'm listening to up louder. If someone wanted to get into a sound war with me they'd loose, simply because I can easily filter out external sounds...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah I remember the old days (AKA the 80's), where if you played games you were either a little kid, or a nerd. It wasn't until the play station broadened the audience that it was "OK" for teenagers to play video games to not be considered nerds.

I'll admit when that first happened I was a bit put off. That kind of "You haven't earned what I've earned, get out of our playhouse" mentality. YOU weren't persecuted for you hobby, YOU didn't live through that, that's OUR thing.

I've sense then lightened up a bit, and grown wiser. Which is why when this happened again with the Wii and the "casual games" thing, it didn't really bother me.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I keep getting bothered to play 4th ed "D&D", it annoys the hell out of me. Yes I get it that I like 3.5 (and PF), it doesn't mean I'll like or move on to 4th.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Edit:

Nevermind, that's a bit too personal for a public post.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Susan, have you tried capsaicin (or at least a good, strong hot sauce/chili peppers) for the bird feeders? Not sure if it'll properly deter the squirrels, but birds--in contrast to mammals--lack to receptor that makes capsaicin hot/painful. Hopefully the squirrels would move on to easier (or less burny) food sources after that. ...and no one would have to harm (or spin) poor, hungry (okay, maybe just greedy) squirrels.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bravetoaster said:
Susan, have you tried capsaisin (or at least a good, strong hot sauce/chili peppers) for the bird feeders? Not sure if it'll properly deter the squirrels, but birds--in contrast to mammals--lack to receptor that makes capsaisin hot/painful. Hopefully the squirrels would move on to easier (or less burny) food sources after that. ...and no one would have to harm (or spin) poor, hungry (okay, maybe just greedy) squirrels.
I haven't, no. You think I should just mix that in with the seed? I have tried chili pepper suet, but that was before the first squirrels ever showed up (this wasn't a problem last year), so I don't know if it would work or not.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
bravetoaster said:
Susan, have you tried capsaisin (or at least a good, strong hot sauce/chili peppers) for the bird feeders? Not sure if it'll properly deter the squirrels, but birds--in contrast to mammals--lack to receptor that makes capsaisin hot/painful. Hopefully the squirrels would move on to easier (or less burny) food sources after that. ...and no one would have to harm (or spin) poor, hungry (okay, maybe just greedy) squirrels.
I haven't, no. You think I should just mix that in with the seed? I have tried chili pepper suet, but that was before the first squirrels ever showed up (this wasn't a problem last year), so I don't know if it would work or not.
There might be someone who can offer actual expertise (or first hand experience) on it to offer better--or at least more specific--advice, but I'd think just mixing it with the seed should work. Going by a quick glance at an actual science-y article (digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1017&context=icwdm_wdmconfproc ...hopefully that link works), it might not completely stop squirrels from eating the seed, but they should eat a lot less (and less often). Good luck! I hope that works well for you.