Escapist took down Extra Credits page!

Errickfoxy

Jul 14, 2010
So... what happened? What "incident"? I wasn't even aware there was a problem of any sort until I noticed this thread in the active topics box thing on the right.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Finally. I was actually pissing me off that they weren't taking down the video link on the side bar.

Oh well it looks like Extra Credits has moved on pretty well so this whole thing can move on.

Newt

Aug 19, 2011
Same situation here, man. I'm going back through the whole series, playing every video, and I'm suddenly unavailable to visit their page. Visit topic, find out terrible news, hope for the best for their sake (and mine).
On a related note, I think I may be one of the last people to get (some of) the EC badges.

Errickfoxy

Jul 14, 2010
Ulquiorra4sama said:
We all knew this would happen. I'm just surprised it didn't happen until now.
That's what I'm saying though, a lot of us had no idea this would happen. I still don't know what the situation is that everyone in this thread seems to be assuming everyone else knwos about already.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Errickfoxy said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
That's what I'm saying though, a lot of us had no idea this would happen. I still don't know what the situation is that everyone in this thread seems to be assuming everyone else knwos about already.
Well, it was pretty huge back when the story was still new.

I imagine you would still be able to find the story on here if they haven't locked down any and all threads relating to the incident. It did kinda make monsters of the people at the Escapist.

Errickfoxy

Jul 14, 2010
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Errickfoxy said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:

I imagine you would still be able to find the story on here if they haven't locked down any and all threads relating to the incident. It did kinda make monsters of the people at the Escapist.
Ah, it must have been on the forums then, I don't really read them much myself, I just watch the videos and occasionally click a thread on that active box if I notice it and it sounds relevant or interesting to me.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Errickfoxy said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Errickfoxy said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:

Ah, it must have been on the forums then, I don't really read them much myself, I just watch the videos and occasionally click a thread on that active box if I notice it and it sounds relevant or interesting to me.
It was spread via other websites and such until it finally hit the escapist forums. I imagine the leaders here wanted to hush it down on the site since, like i said, it made monsters of them, so obviously they weren't going to reveal the full story themselves. We all(probably) think it's sad things went down the way they did, but from where EC was standing i'd say they did the reasonable thing.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I knew this would happen but now I wonder if all the videos will be posted elsewhere since none of them were posted on the youtube page.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Thank god, I hated that fucking series. Worse than Game Dogs. Game Dogs was just unfunny, while EC was just wrong and stuck up more often than not. I stumbled upon Jim Sterlings twitter today and he was apparently at the airport, and incredibly aggravated by a group near him who were clearly these artsy gamer types (he quoted one of them as saying "What is the essence of a game?"). I wondered briefly if these were the extra credits guys.

Jesus, I hated them. Not to take anything away from people who liked the series though, although how anyone could will probably evade me for a long time to come.
I don't understand why you're mad about people who want gaming to be a deep form of artistic expression, I believe that games as a medium can tell a story better than any other media. Do you want games to be forever stemmed in public conscious as "A frivolous plaything" or would you rather see it as a respected for of expression on par with music and film?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
That sucks, I wish both parties weren't such dicks about the whole thing (not looking for an argument) so that I could be looking forward to watching Extra Credits here. Youtube doesn't load as fast.

Sometimes what they said was utterly wrong from my viewpoint, but for the most part, they made a great effort in talking about games in a deep analytical manner. It was like I'm in a college English class only about games and not shitty books I won't read.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Errickfoxy said:
So... what happened? What "incident"? I wasn't even aware there was a problem of any sort until I noticed this thread in the active topics box thing on the right.
I'm surprised you managed to avoid it so far. The day it happened, the escapist exploded with traffic and lag because everyone was coming to the forums to talk about it and spread the news.

Tigerlily Warrior

Jan 22, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
Errickfoxy said:
I'm surprised you managed to avoid it so far. The day it happened, the escapist exploded with traffic and lag because everyone was coming to the forums to talk about it and spread the news.
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SAY WHAT THE F#&K HAPPENED?

Sorry, found the link: http://www.joystickdivision.com/2011/08/extra_credits_leaves_the_escap.php

Always about the benjamins. That's uncool Escapist. Very uncool.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I think that was kind of a bad move on The Escapist's part. EC was one reason many came to The Escapist, and even if they aren't with The Escapist anymore people would still come here to view their old episodes.

I realize they were removed for pretty good reasons, most likely legal reasons, but I hope that these episodes will be reuploaded somewhere.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
one would expect that the EC team would put them on their youtube page [http://www.youtube.com/user/ExtraCreditz]

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Jak23 said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits
I get a 404 when I go there, I was wondering what was taking them so long
Ah BO****KS!!!

I was afraid that this would happen so i downloaded the first 20 episodes, but i never got around to the other 40 or so...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
dammit, well I m not surprised this happened but Im annoyed, hopefully they will be able to put up all the episodes that were on here, on youtube