escapist won the webby

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
gamespot has bribed the people doing the webbys. gamespot is a group of fat, retarted and greedy people who is like scrooge von duck. they hate using money and just wants more the cheap way. such faggots.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Saw it coming, you cant win a traffic pissing contest against gamespot they spend their days advertising on two massive fronts.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
tk1989 said:
Gamespots community base is absolutely massive. I knew we were going to lose the peoples choice as because even though they are a much worse website they are much larger and have been around for yonks.

The fact that we won the actual Webby however in my mind is a much bigger win; it wasn't because one website had a larger community or not, it was because this website is actually better.
This is completely correct! :)

DisturbiaWolf13

Apr 15, 2009
Frizzle said:
Horned Rat said:
We didn't win the voting one though, we won the other one for being an awesome website... not even like pizza vouchers? I'm hungry and the kitchen is so far away to make a sandwich.
I hope that sandwich is toasted....

OT: I'm glad that we got the properly judged one. I voted for the peoples choice one, but I had no illusions. The ability to get large amounts of immature idiots to do something should never be underestimated.

Think of gamespot as that blue light at night, that attracts all the annoying bugs. It lets us sit on our back porch and enjoy a nice glass of wine while we have meaningful conversations and arguments :)
the truest words ever spoken.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I'd personally like to thank everyone that took the time to vote for us. It was always a bit of a longshot - GameSpot simply has a far larger community than we do - but I really appreciate the effort our community put in. I know many of you were getting a little tired of our somewhat desperate pleas for you to vote (but admit it, the kitten/pony face-off video was awesome), so thanks for putting up with them, and thanks for your support. :)

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I'd personally like to thank everyone that took the time to vote for us. It was always a bit of a longshot - GameSpot simply has a far larger community than we do - but I really appreciate the effort our community put in. I know many of you were getting a little tired of our somewhat desperate pleas for you to vote (but admit it, the kitten/pony face-off video was awesome), so thanks for putting up with them, and thanks for your support. :)
Yeah it was awesome but it playing every time you opened a video was a biiiit tedious :)

The Young One

Mar 26, 2009
A well deserved win, even if we were beaten by that other, inferior site
Congrats to everyone at The Escapist, you deserved it :D *parties*

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Liverandbacon said:
Horned Rat said:
Do we get anything for making this happen? Sure it's not the peoples choice webby, but what is a website without the loyal community?
If you're asking that, you didn't vote for the right reason. The reward is being part of the community.
uhm we also got free badge.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
cabooze said:
Liverandbacon said:
Horned Rat said:
Do we get anything for making this happen? Sure it's not the peoples choice webby, but what is a website without the loyal community?
If you're asking that, you didn't vote for the right reason. The reward is being part of the community.
Look at the time I posted that message. It was well before we received the badges. I guess it's nice that we got them, but my point is that if the reason people voted for the Escapist was to get a badge, that defeats the purpose of the Webby.

clem

Mar 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
And it creates notice among all of the Webby Gamespot voters, and the notice from the Webby we won that there is this other site called "Escapist Magazine" that they may want to check out.

I wonder how many Webby voters (like me) came for March Madness and stayed around for the feature articles. As long as Escapist truly offers better, more compelling content than Gamespot some of those users will convert.

So the exposure Escapist gets from the Webby is a clear win. We're making lemonade, baby.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Yes, the Escapist is ruely awesome and I'm proud to be a part of it all.

It's nice to discuss on the remarkably tidy forums and watch the fruits of people's hard work in the videos section.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Liverandbacon said:
cabooze said:
Liverandbacon said:
Horned Rat said:
Look at the time I posted that message. It was well before we received the badges. I guess it's nice that we got them, but my point is that if the reason people voted for the Escapist was to get a badge, that defeats the purpose of the Webby.
Well, the actual webby was a matter of someone else's decision- plenty of people who didn't vote got the badge.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
The People's Choice version of the award was the more challenging one for us to win since Gamespot's traffic is about 7x more than ours, and the fact that we were soooo close that Gamespot panicked and mass spammed their userbase (yet still only gained 1500 votes?!), means that this community (YOU!) are more worthy of the award than Gamespot.

The only way Gamespot can win the People's Choice next year is if their boss company (CBS) recognizes the humility and kicks them.

The Escapist = the Spartan 300
Gamespot = the Persian Horde

Remember what happened the next time the Spartans and Persians fought? The Spartans won.

THIS... IS... THE ESCAPIST!