Escapist's Day Jobs

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
I'm aware that most of the people here are in their 20's, but what do we all really do for a living, when we're not playing videogames? This isn't for any real reason, I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

Me, I'm an English teacher. I teach at the high school and college level (the school where I currently work has a college integrated into it), but I also handle remedial English for all levels (broken up in blocks of grades 1-3, 4-6 and 7-8), edit the school's newspaper and coach the debate team.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I design T-Shirts and Logos.

I draw... a lot of cars... so many cars.

Stares blankly into the distance.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Unemployment foreveeeeeeerrrrrr!

But really, I'm a programmer. Currently I'm developing a video game in Unreal Engine 4... so I guess I'm technically an indie game developer at this point. That said, I'm still searching for employment!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm a sales assistant in a cheap branded/ discount retail store. I consider myself lucky that I don't deal with many ass customers and the majority are pleasent folks.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I work as a Pathological Aide in a Pathology lab. It's cool work and a big bonus is that when a person asks me what I do for work it's a really cool sounding title and always seems to impress people. I love the work and the Lab I work at often holds free educational sessions during lunch hours that you can go to and learn about the latest vaccines/viruses/medical research and progress if you want. Really, really cool stuff.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I make silicone rubber dies that are used to print the labels on make-up stuff & pens & pencils. We also make acid etched magnesium dies for printing mud flaps. I also do a bit of graphic design as well.

It's not exciting work, but it pays the bills.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm a business analyst for an enterprise software company. I work closely with consultants, developing business process flowcharts that they can use with their customers when they are designing their "To-Be" business process. I also train consultants in the use of our process mapping tools and support live projects in the use of our tools.

It's boring as fuck to talk about, but I can't really complain at all. I get to work from home, have flexible hours and it pays really well. Plus it has a lot of downtime so I can laze about the house playing with my cats XD

Dec 14, 2009
Compliance consultant.

Basically I make sure buildings are certified in a number of health and safety areas, such as electrical, gas, and fire alarms, make sure it's up to date, order in remedial works etc.

I'm the guy who looks at a gas certificate and judges whether or not it's 'explodey as fuck', and if so, communicate that to the company that owns the business, mostly by saying 'Yo, bro, shit's explodey as fuck, you can't put a new tenant all up in dat business.'

It's challenging work, and I have to stay on my toes. People can die if I put through something as safe and it's not.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
I'm officially still a police detective but I'm on suspension with pay and likely to be fired within the next week and half. In the meantime I'm volunteering in a library so I don't go crazy with boredom.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm an archivist and records manager.

I'm currently working on a large digitisation project which is grand but it's not the most engaging thing I've ever been involved in.

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into more interesting projects once this one ends in the new year.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've been a movie critic for the past 5 years. I like the job. You can watch anything you want weeks ahead of release, you get the movie theater practically to yourself and seat anywhere you like, if it's in 3D then you get to watch it in 3D, you usually get treated to breakfast (press screenings take place in the mornings) and sometimes there's swag. Five years later and I can't imagine a life where I can't go to the movies for free. I also love having passes to film festivals and interviewing celebs, moreso when I'm a personal fan of theirs. The biggest win of my career so far has been getting invited to film fests in Spain and France, everything from the plane trip to the hotel included. It's an amazing job.

Also I don't get paid any money for it. Not a single penny :p

So I manage a film studio's Twitter page and work at a bookstore on weekends.

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
CrystalViolet said:
I'm officially still a police detective but I'm on suspension with pay and likely to be fired within the next week and half. In the meantime I'm volunteering in a library so I don't go crazy with boredom.
you'd think a detective would know how to blaze it without getting caught

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Im an apprentice carpenter. 10 year old me thought I was destined for programming or some other 'nerdy' job. But I love working with my hands, getting out in the sun and honestly I find something about labour masochistically fun, being told as a kid if you dont study you will end up digging ditches wouldnt have scared me if I realised how fun it can be to dig a ditch! :p

I dunno though, as Ive been getting more knowledgeable ive been doing less labour and more having to refer to span tables and plans and if I keep going to become a builder like im taking a class to be theres going to be SO MUCH PAPERWORK. I wonder if I wouldnt be happier prehaps working with plants, maybe at a nursery or gardening when my apprenticeships done, Or maybe I could apply for a hardware store job. Or maybe not, Im not unhappy with my job its just idle thought.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I fix aircraft. Not really much I can say about that. The pay is reasonable and my work load is reasonable

It sounds pretty cool but its a tedium of paperwork and office people who get paid more than you to make graphs and tell you how to do your job despite never touching an aircraft in their life, its like: them: "why havent you done x job yet?" Me: "do you know how long it takes to do X job? And thats if I had the parts I told you I needed last week and I need to do Y first to get access to X" them:"why havent you done job X yet?". Then theres the healthy and safety people who make you wear stupid hats and ensure everything is 100 times harder and uncomfortable for you

There also the problem that aircraft are poorly designed for maintenance and some jobs you can only get one finger on the component while hanging upside down

Edit: if you want to know anything about aircraft (except helicopters, they are the devils work) ill probably be able to tell you

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I work as a Teaching Assistant in a Primary School (for our American friends that is children aged between 5-11). I'm a member of the school's intervention team so we work with SEN children or children who have otherwise fallen behind for whatever reason. The pay isn't great so I'm hoping to do a PGCE and then become a fully qualified teacher.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Unemployed, looking for work, and volunteering at a charity shop.

Mainly good at sitting behind a desk and being boring, and unfortunately lot s of competition for that role at the moment, and the mixture of were I live and my inability to drive is decidedly hindering my efforts.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
eatenbyagrue said:
I'm aware that most of the people here are in their 20's, but what do we all really do for a living, when we're not playing videogames? This isn't for any real reason, I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

Me, I'm an English teacher. I teach at the high school and college level (the school where I currently work has a college integrated into it), but I also handle remedial English for all levels (broken up in blocks of grades 1-3, 4-6 and 7-8), edit the school's newspaper and coach the debate team.
Ha, teacher bro fist!

Right now I'm in college, so I work part time as a glorious Home Depot cashier. After finishing my history/teaching degree I'd like to teach highschool history.

On top of that I'm working on building up a writing portfolio and finishing a novel. I've written a few (unpublished) novels, but once I'm out of university I'm going to look into getting some serious work published.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
While I'm primarily a student, I do work study in the gift shop of a local museum. Pretty much I put price stickers on stock, organize it onto shelves, occasionally bring larger more valuable stock up from the basement, get packaging, and have recently been given a new responsibility finding products in catalogs that correspond with upcoming exhibits that a more youthful audience would buy. Thank goodness I mainly work in said basement, as I'm not a very pleasant salesperson and the khaki pants dress code in the actual shop would frustrate me to no end.