Escapist's Day Jobs

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Weaver said:
Unemployment foreveeeeeeerrrrrr!

But really, I'm a programmer. Currently I'm developing a video game in Unreal Engine 4... so I guess I'm technically an indie game developer at this point. That said, I'm still searching for employment!
Do voice acting. Do it. Do it do it do it.

[HEADING=2]Do eet.[/HEADING]​

Beffudled Sheep said:
I work mostly night shift at a gas station/convenience store.
I make good money (few bucks more than minimum wage) considering I barely do any real work but its more or less a "baby's first job" thing. I was going to college to become a teacher to satisfy my family's wishes but then I remembered that I hated school and didn't want to be a teacher and dropped out.
Current plan is to schmooze my way up the ranks to become a GM of one of the stores and make a lot of money while doing even less work than I do now.
Sheep, you are the American fuckin' dream personified. You...*sniff*...Gods damn it, you make me proud!

OT: Yeah, I work in a fuckin' restaurant. Hey hey hey, big whoop and such, wanna fight about it? I'll slap anyone's ***** ass through a window with my entree-serving hand!

The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
I work mostly night shift at a gas station/convenience store.
I make good money (few bucks more than minimum wage) considering I barely do any real work but its more or less a "baby's first job" thing. I was going to college to become a teacher to satisfy my family's wishes but then I remembered that I hated school and didn't want to be a teacher and dropped out.
Current plan is to schmooze my way up the ranks to become a GM of one of the stores and make a lot of money while doing even less work than I do now.
We must kindred spirits you and I.

I went to university to become a teacher to appease family pressures, was fine with the academics but actually teaching is horrible and I hated every second of it.

Dropped out and am currently an assistant manager in a chain bakery, the pay is good, the hours are terrible, but it fills a gap while I find better things.
Which teaching field were you studying for?
I was studying to become a History teacher.
Primary Education, so a bit of everything.
Ah I see. I was thinking of doing that but I realized I didn't want to deal with kids that young and the parents of those young kids.
I was aiming for secondary. At least I think thats what its called in your neck of the woods.
Are you looking to get into anything specific now or you just shopping around?
No just anything that isn't retail. Retail is god awful. Especially food retail.

I've had the flu 4 times this year because customers are fuckign disgusting mouth breathers that sneeze and cough everywhere.
Hey, at least the police don't have to arrive to turf out your customers! ...Hopefully.

The last place I worked in was like that. Oh yeah, plus parents would always turn around to scream at their children from across the room instead of walking over because it's Scotland god damn it and they're fucked if they're going to cross the entire room if they don't have to by Christ!

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
I'm an RF IC test development engineer at a semiconductor company.

Basically the design and product engineers say "hey, we have this new part we want to release," and I go and design a printed circuit board and test program for the automated test equipment. I get the parts, debug the test procedure and when we're ready for release, I give it all to our production test facility and they run with that program and test board during production.

It's fun, challenging, pays pretty well, and I work with a lot of good people.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've been a movie critic for the past 5 years. I like the job. You can watch anything you want weeks ahead of release, you get the movie theater practically to yourself and seat anywhere you like, if it's in 3D then you get to watch it in 3D, you usually get treated to breakfast (press screenings take place in the mornings) and sometimes there's swag. Five years later and I can't imagine a life where I can't go to the movies for free. I also love having passes to film festivals and interviewing celebs, moreso when I'm a personal fan of theirs. The biggest win of my career so far has been getting invited to film fests in Spain and France, everything from the plane trip to the hotel included. It's an amazing job.

Also I don't get paid any money for it. Not a single penny :p

So I manage a film studio's Twitter page and work at a bookstore on weekends.
But if you're managing a Film Studio's twitter page, isn't that a conflict of interest! Ethics! JARNALIZM! #MOVIEGATE!!!!! :p
I know it's a joke but for the record: the studio is of the "fixer" kind, it just helps foreign crews shoot commercials in Argentina. They had this one movie of their own but I didn't review it, obviouly.

Oct 2, 2012
The White Hunter said:
No just anything that isn't retail. Retail is god awful. Especially food retail.

I've had the flu 4 times this year because customers are fuckign disgusting mouth breathers that sneeze and cough everywhere.
Oh God yes they are. My customers frequently hand me their credit/debit cards after holding them in their mouths and they always give it to me mouth end to hand.
Yuck.
Barbas said:
Sheep, you are the American fuckin' dream personified. You...*sniff*...Gods damn it, you make me proud!
Not sure if sarcasm...
Hey, I can make some pretty okay money with some nice health benefits, stock options, and retirement options while doing pretty minimal work.
It may not be ambitious but it will allow me to care for myself and the family I plan on having and I'll be able to spend time with them since I won't be overstressed or overworked.
Its not what I want to do either and I'll have to do some real hard work for crap pay till I get there but I think I'll be content enough in the position and that the benefits and pay will be worth it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Barbas said:
Hey, at least the police don't have to arrive to turf out your customers! ...Hopefully.

The last place I worked in was like that. Oh yeah, plus parents would always turn around to scream at their children from across the room instead of walking over because it's Scotland god damn it and they're fucked if they're going to cross the entire room if they don't have to by Christ!
No they do that to.

Get tonnes of fat glaswegians here on holiday to. All sorts of tourists and locals, all of them generally rather horrid.

Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:

Oh God yes they are. My customers frequently hand me their credit/debit cards after holding them in their mouths and they always give it to me mouth end to hand.
Yuck.
Barbas said:
Not sure if sarcasm...
Hey, I can make some pretty okay money with some nice health benefits, stock options, and retirement options while doing pretty minimal work.
It may not be ambitious but it will allow me to care for myself and the family I plan on having and I'll be able to spend time with them since I won't be overstressed or overworked.
Its not what I want to do either and I'll have to do some real hard work for crap pay till I get there but I think I'll be content enough in the position and that the benefits and pay will be worth it.
They are disgusting creatures, they hand me notes out of their mouths a lot and it's revolting, I mean money is already filthy why add to it? Why would you put that in your mouth!?.

And another bloody thing; why do they fucking fold it up, is it so I have to fuck about unfolding it to put it in the till and flatten it for the banking at the end of the day?

Grr.

Oct 2, 2012
The White Hunter said:
Barbas said:

No they do that to.

Get tonnes of fat glaswegians here on holiday to. All sorts of tourists and locals, all of them generally rather horrid.

Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:

Yuck.
Barbas said:
Not sure if sarcasm...
They are disgusting creatures, they hand me notes out of their mouths a lot and it's revolting, I mean money is already filthy why add to it? Why would you put that in your mouth!?.

And another bloody thing; why do they fucking fold it up, is it so I have to fuck about unfolding it to put it in the till and flatten it for the banking at the end of the day?

Grr.
Folded is a lot better than some of the money I get. I frequently get money thats so damn crumpled and rippled that the electronic safes we have to put the money in doesn't believe the bills are real legal tender and reject them!
So damn annoying. I just wanna say "bro, buy a goddamn wallet or something! Shit."

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Barbas said:

No they do that to.

Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:

Yuck.
Barbas said:
Not sure if sarcasm...

Grr.
Folded is a lot better than some of the money I get. I frequently get money thats so damn crumpled and rippled that the electronic safes we have to put the money in doesn't believe the bills are real legal tender and reject them!
So damn annoying. I just wanna say "bro, buy a goddamn wallet or something! Shit."
No I get that too it's just less frequent. Also see; people pulling change and buttons and tissues and cthulus nipple clamps out of their pocket, chucking it all over my damn counter and wondering why I'm agitated with them. BUY A FUCKING WALLET. Fuck.

We should do an angry young retail worker show or something. Get @Dark Knifer: in on it.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I used to work in a pharmacy, but now I'm just a student. Hooray for being a drain on society.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do after uni. I'll probably just find a shitty retail job to stay alive long enough to get a good portfolio together and catch someone's eye.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Me, well, some of this

duwenbasden said:
Software Developer for a company that makes O/G Financial Software;
though it's just financial, not tied to oil and gas. But mostly this

devotedsniper said:
Officially I'm classed as a Web Developer (at least thats my job title) but I work solely in the backend which means I'm more of a regular software developer than an actual web dev (meaning I can change the area I work in fairly easily, which is something that appeals to me).
though my job title isn't Web Developer, even though that's most of what I've done for the past few months.

devotedsniper said:
I specialize in MVC, C#, SQL, Javascript, JQuery, Knockoutjs, Windows Services, and soon vNext when it actually gets released.
Yeah, similar but swap the Microsoft products for Java.

It says Software Engineer on my contract I've not written that much Java for a while for the simple reason that there wasn't as much to do on that side of the application, so I've been spending a lot of the time on the UI end.

Baffle said:
One of them literally uses a garden rake to collect all his money together because his arms just aren't long enough.
I hate you, why do you have to keep bringing this up and making fun of me

Oct 2, 2012
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Barbas said:

No they do that to.

Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:

Yuck.
Barbas said:
Not sure if sarcasm...

Grr.
No I get that too it's just less frequent. Also see; people pulling change and buttons and tissues and cthulus nipple clamps out of their pocket, chucking it all over my damn counter and wondering why I'm agitated with them. BUY A FUCKING WALLET. Fuck.

We should do an angry young retail worker show or something. Get @Dark Knifer: in on it.
Thankfully I don't have a counter that they can ruin with their pocket crap.
That sounds cathartic. We should set some asshole customers on fire.
For science.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
I am a SME (Subject Matter Expert) / Snr Software Engineer / Technical Lead / Solution Architect but my job title is 'Senior Consultant'.

I design IT and OT solutions for mining, law enforcement and financials.

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
Assistant Manager at Wal-mart. Started hourly in 2003 while going to college and decided to do the salaried life there starting in 2008.

Aarun

Apr 10, 2013
Currently I'm sat being a drain on British society. I'm a second year undergraduate History student with no plans for the future following my degree, except that I don't particularly want to go into anything related to History or the Heritage industry.

During the summer I work at a local family run confectionery factory, where I help make and pack biscuits, jams, fudge and man the front sweet shop during the school-kid rush. The pay isn't anything amazing, but it sustains me over the summer and lets me save up for other things as well, so I can't complain really. Another plus of the job is that I get plenty of free fudge, jam, sweets, biscuits, etc. to take and give to friends and family.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
I'm a high school student, so that's where most of my time goes. I also have a job as a stock clerk, and as a paperboy (both about +/- 2 hours per week atm)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Barbas said:

No they do that to.

Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:

Yuck.
Barbas said:
Not sure if sarcasm...

Grr.

Thankfully I don't have a counter that they can ruin with their pocket crap.
That sounds cathartic. We should set some asshole customers on fire.
For science.
That sounds fantastically cathartic. I'll begin drafting a plan at once. Or get a minion to do it.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
maninahat said:
Jodan said:
I work a a board game cafe. but i spend most of my time reading and writing history.

It's a long shot, but where is this cafe? Oxford?
No its in Winnipeg. Do alot of history students work at boardgame cafes across the world. Am I just one of a proud group of underemployed historians... the answer is probably.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
While I technically have three jobs at the moment, I don't really have a whole lot of hours with any of them.

Cleaning lady at a store/after school program - Used to be twice a week and a couple of extra hours whenever it got really messy, but now I've been whittled down to a day.

Personal Assistant - I help a mostly paralyzed guy with his mail and bills, and made damn good money for it, but since he has a lot of appointments and his phone is utter trash (whenever he/I try to call, I can hear maybe every fifth word uttered), I haven't been able to do much work for him, and the last two times I was supposed to work, they fell through.

GameStop - Somehow I managed to get a job there, and while the boss really likes me, I have my doubts as to if I'll last long there, since they have seemingly high sales expectations. But, hopefully I'll get better, since so far my work has more been training than actual work, and I was sick the whole time. But those credit cards will be the death of me.

Burgers2013

Nov 3, 2013
Wow, the crowd here is very diverse. Really interesting; more teachers than I would expect too. Man, it'll be great for students to have a teacher who understands those newfangled video games.

I'm a chemical engineer. I recently got a job at a chemical plant in operations. Essentially, there's a mud slide of paper work to be done all the time, and eventually I'll be called when something goes wrong. For now I'm just following everyone around and learning about 600 new acronyms. My previous job was essentially bench-scale R&D for the semiconductor industry.

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
I'm currently unemployed doing freelance-based yard work for various friends and acquaintances... Right now trying to get a [real] temporary job for the spring while I set up my private college transfer papers for next year's fall semester...