Escapists: Why are we so different?

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
D_987 said:
True, but it's part of the reason I dislike these type of threads - people often use them to congratulate themselves, when it's usually the small minority of the forum community that create thought provoking or interesting threads.
There's definetly good reasoning behind those words. I'll take it upon myself to only make greatly philosophical threads next time! ^^

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Fewer trolls: The mod thought police and the fact that this site is kanda a fascist republic. We have our say but in the end we know who is boss, and might I add that the bosses are looking very smashing/purty today. *ducks*

Intellegent conversation: See thought police mods and rules, helps prevent conversations from

More intellegent than other places in the interwebs: RED GOES FASTA! ORKS IS MADE FOR SMASHIN!

Better site overall: Not sure I have yet to visit every website. *looks over and sees a mod* This is the very best site, it is better than the food. Erm not that the food is bad or nothing. *points at OP* He is the subverter not me!

ORKS IS DA BEST

It is like where waldo but with my spelling errors instead of a guy in a strange shirt

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
D_987 said:
There's nothing special about this forum, bar the fact people like to pretend the community is somehow superior to other forums...
This.

However, it might also be in part due to some tight moderation and the highbrow articles in the weekly issue. I'm just wildly speculating though.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Strict mods. If it weren't for them, this would just be another haven for assholes via internet anonymity.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Iron fist Mods (God Bless ye merry souls!) mainly.

It also helps the kind of people the Escapist attracts i.e people who are internet savvy and can spot a troll miles away and on the whole, don't rise to flamebait. A forum I used to frequent (Outpost Gallifrey) was full of (and I don't mean to sound harsh) middle aged people who had just discovered the internet. Therefore when someone says or does something they don't like, they throw a hissy fit and all hell breaks loose.

I'm not saying this place is perfect, far from it. for example, if anyone should voice an opinion that is not "Everyone is equal and should be allowed to be themselves!"(i.e. "I don't mind homosexuals but I'd like them to keep it behind doors", not mine, although it was on a thread sometime last year) they get streams of replies saying how ignorant and bigoted they are, when they're only expressing a mild opinion at worst.

but meh. on the whole, this forum is where most of my internet activity takes place. Keep it awesome folks!

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I'm going to agree with what most other people have said. An iron- scratch that - Steel yet fair fisted set of Mods and admins. But I also think it comes down the site's contents. Extra credits, Zero Punctuation, the Big Picture and the gaming reviews; they're good videos with a mature grasp of things

Yagharek

Jun 9, 2010
Just going to point out that there are some excellent sites that don't have nearly as strict mods. Not complaining or saying that they should change, it's up to them how they mod, but people seem to think that if they weren't as strict this place would descend into some sort of of nightmarish waste, which seems pretty unlikely to me.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Strict moderation. Since the mods have been pretty strict from the beginning, the forum has attracted nice users.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
For me there's just lots of things on this site that make it awesome.

- It's active enough to keep me interested but not so active that the mods lose track and trolls run loose
- A large amount of the community are really nice, as well as the staff
- The weekly content is awesome, extra credits and such
- The awesome notification system for things like quotes < love that one :3

Oh and I get to survey the forums from that little window at the side of some pages. I honestly seem to navigate the forums from the ZP video page, just because that's where I started off. It's another nice feature anyway.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I noticed this like the second I stepped foot onto these forums. People here are nice (you! YOU are nice! Thank you for being so nice!), don't troll, actually read things other people say. Coming from the GameTrailers' forums, being on these forums is like floating through clouds made of fluff sprinkled with shiny chocolate flakes. It's brilliant!

If you could live in the internet, these forums is where I'd raise my children.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Well, I like the Escapist for three reasons.
1.Someone to listen to my non-sense!
2.Great people.
3.The content :3

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Sun Flash said:
Iron fist Mods (God Bless ye merry souls!) mainly.

It also helps the kind of people the Escapist attracts i.e people who are internet savvy and can spot a troll miles away and on the whole, don't rise to flamebait. A forum I used to frequent (Outpost Gallifrey) was full of (and I don't mean to sound harsh) middle aged people who had just discovered the internet. Therefore when someone says or does something they don't like, they throw a hissy fit and all hell breaks loose.

I'm not saying this place is perfect, far from it. for example, if anyone should voice an opinion that is not "Everyone is equal and should be allowed to be themselves!"(i.e. "I don't mind homosexuals but I'd like them to keep it behind doors", not mine, although it was on a thread sometime last year) they get streams of replies saying how ignorant and bigoted they are, when they're only expressing a mild opinion at worst.

but meh. on the whole, this forum is where most of my internet activity takes place. Keep it awesome folks!
But isn't he kinda of an asshole if he thinks that?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I briefly checked the rules when I joined a couple days ago and they were pretty simplistic and straight-forward. That, and everyone here seems to believe that the mods are very awesome in their troll control so I will just nod in agreement with that sentiment.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Boneasse said:
That's right, I'm talking about us, the Escapists in general.

Now, whereever you go on the internet, whether it's forums, game-sites, news-sites, youtube etc. we see spammers, trolls, people with bad personalities and other negativities.

But then we come here. To the Escapist. Here we can dwell in the forums, have meaningfull conversations, reasonable discussions and talk about ourselves and our feelings without being attacked by the general populus.

Occaitionally there will be a black sheep somewhere, who will eventually be weeded out or find out that he/she does not belong on this site, but it's rare.

So I'm asking you, one escapist to another;

Why are we so different? What makes this site, better than most places in this aspect?
Honestly? Not much anymore. You should remember the glory days of 2008! You couldn't sneeze without getting banned, it was amazing. Now this site slowly becomes 4chan more and more each day. We're getting meme creep, laxing up on the image only posts, lots of threads that are like "Look at this video I found!" which would have been banned as contentless.

Hell, we even have a captcha now, just like 4chan we're apparently striving to be like.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
We rock. We are just cool like that. Moderation helps too :)

[sub]If you need me, I'll be in the forum games XD[/sub]