Escapists: Why are we so different?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Redlin5 said:
We rock. We are just cool like that. Moderation helps too :)

[sub]If you need me, I'll be in the forum games XD[/sub]
FORUM GAMES FTW!

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
We're not. At all.
We're the internet equivalent of a Hermit, we see the bad parts of the rest of the internet exclusively and just assume it's all like that and we're an internet sanctuary. Look, I love this place, but there's a reason a lot of people think we're pretentious 'intellectual' gits.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Xandus117 said:
Naheal said:
Xandus117 said:
Naheal said:
Um... our trolls are entertaining rather than offensive.
You've never been to 4chan's /lit/ or /tg/, have you?
I tend to steer clear of /lit/ and /tg/.
Then you're missing out on some seriously lulzy shit.

I find the trolls here to be generally boring, bitchy and arrogant. 4chan boards, on the other hand, always manages to produce some new form of trololololing.
I don't steer clear of 4chan in general. /lit/ and /tg/ just aren't my interests. /int/, /jp/, /sci/, and /c/ have been keeping my interests of late.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Strict moderation. Can't say I agree with it 100% of the time, but at least 90% is well done and keeping it strict makes people think twice before behaving like jackasses (which is something people should really do everywhere, all the time)

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
It's a combination between a swiftly-worked b&hammer and the fact that most of the articles on the Escapist are about news/reviews/game design philosophy. There's just not much here to interest trolls. How would you even troll the Escapist?

...."Listen, this post is totally not a troll, but everyone is always hating on games with good graphics and no story or gameplay. I think graphics are the most important part of a game, and also that Muslims are bad, web 2.0 is fake, the singularity is not near, and Madden 2010 is the best game ever."

Or something?

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I've noticed it too, attribute it to amazing moderators or whatever you will, but this site still feels much more welcoming than most forums out there.

I love it.

Yagharek

Jun 9, 2010
teknoarcanist said:
It's a combination between a swiftly-worked b&hammer and the fact that most of the articles on the Escapist are about news/reviews/game design philosophy. There's just not much here to interest trolls. How would you even troll the Escapist?

...."Listen, this post is totally not a troll, but everyone is always hating on games with good graphics and no story or gameplay. I think graphics are the most important part of a game, and also that Muslims are bad, web 2.0 is fake, the singularity is not near, and Madden 2010 is the best game ever."

Or something?
Or just "Call of duty is pretty rubbish compared to halo, what do you guys think"?

Seriously, this board creates flamewars without being trolled most of the time. It doesn't need the help.

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
because the mods are way too strict,

even posting something mildly offensive can ban you

and wtfs with these captchas to post now? LAME

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
It's a nerd forum, and you're saying it's a quality community? Well yeah, maybe compared to IGN or Gamespot or GameFAQs or YouTube, but still, it's a nerd forum.

So the short answer is "We aren't."

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
HTID Raver said:
because if you say something even remotely offensive, someone will get thier feelings hurt and report you so the mods keep you in line.

uh, excuse my ignorance but what is Captcha? EDIT: I know what it is now 1st hand and YES, get rid of it.
Yagharek said:
teknoarcanist said:

Or something?
Or just "Call of duty is pretty rubbish compared to halo, what do you guys think"?

Seriously, this board creates flamewars without being trolled most of the time. It doesn't need the help.
actually, I do think Halo is better than CoD, I rented the original MW and didn't like it but thoroughly enjoyed the Reach campaign with my friend at his house last month, trouble is, I know people have different opinions to me and I wouldn't openly post this unless someone else brought it up, besides as someone else has already stated, remember the Glory Days of 2008 when if stepped one foot out of line you'd get the Ban-hammer on you before you could click the EDIT button? Hell, this post here would've probably landed me on probabation back then for disagreeing with others, sorry, I forgot where I was going with this.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
'Why are we so different? What makes this site, better than most places in this aspect?'

Why would you think 'we' are different? Why would you think this site is better than any other?

This is just another website dude, calm down.

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
Josh12345 said:
HTID Raver said:
because if you say something even remotely offensive, someone will get thier feelings hurt and report you so the mods keep you in line.

uh, excuse my ignorance but what is Captcha?
oh well i guess it isint on every post like i thought :p

its those annoying boxes that have distorted words and letters you have to type in correctley before posting

Sabiancym

Aug 12, 2010
The difference between this forum and the others is that this forum seems to think it's better and more intelligent than the others.

That's it.